Used 2003 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

LX-V6 4dr SUV (3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Over 300,000 miles
By bluechicken on 12/27/14 20:12 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Mazda Tribute new in December 2002. I live at 6,000 ft elevation on a mountain. For the first 9 years of owning my Tribute, I commuted 100 miles a day, mountain road all the way. My Tribute had no trouble pulling the grade going up the mountain. It performs great in the snow with snow tires. It is a very stable vehicle. I now have 306,000 miles on my Tribute!! The only major repairs I have done is a new alternator at 175,000 miles, at 280,000 the radiator blew. When having the radiator replaced I had the coil packs and spark plugs replaced since they were still original!!! Other than those repairs it was just the normal stuff .. batteries, brakes and oil changes.

Great little SUV - even after 120K!
By wbzcourt on 10/20/11 14:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am sad to say that I recently totaled my tribute and am now shopping for a new one. I bought my 03 used with 25k miles on it. I was super impressed with its reliability in the 6 years I owned it. Bought new tires once. Major tuneup before a trip at 100k. Other than that - just oil changes. Ran perfectly. It did have some wind noise which was slightly annoying, but certainly tolerable. Other than that, no complaints. It was the perfect size for our family of four..not too big, not too small. Pretty good mpg. And super fun to drive..very peppy lil guy! I'll miss my trib!

IN balance, best ever
By Oldfrat on 03/17/10 23:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned and driven a lot of vehicles in the past 40 years including a 63 Corvair, 2 67 Corvettes, big Plymouths, Mercurys and Cadillacs, and a Dodge Ram truck. My 2003 Tribute is clearly the best ever on an overall basis. The other ones did some things a lot better than the Tribute, but none did everything to the same good level. It has the most driver leg room of any car I've owned. I have used the temporary 4WD to go through some really hairy places. Put the rear seats down and it can carry a surprising amount of stuff. And it is surprisingly kind of fun to drive in most situations.

Pretty good, but many small headaches
By No Name on 09/18/08 08:21 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 Tribute FWD LX new and have been pretty pleased overall. 90k miles, still has original tires with plenty of tread. However, have replaced wheel bearings (~$450), brakes and rotors, throttle cable sticks and steering wheel squeaks, even after several attempts to have fixed under warranty. Now, power steering fluid leaks, alternator is going bad (seems to be common problem), and rust is forming on the tailgate (water collects on the window frame). However, gets decent MPG (20 city/ 25 hwy) and drives great, handles snow and ice well with FWD. Comfortable seats and fits my 6ft frame with no problems. Ok overall, but wouldn't buy again compared to others.

Very Good for Family
By Mark on 07/30/07 14:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have had very good success with our Tribute. The 6 cylinder engine has sufficient power and acceleration. We previously owned a RAV4 and this vehicle is roomier, handles better and has more power, without sacrificing too much fuel economy.

A Few Problems
By Drex on 06/20/07 07:37 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

So far I've had to change the alternator. Replacement was done at the dealer (ouch) so I was given an OEM alternator with a whopping 1 yr/12,000 mile warranty. Nice going there. The shifter gets in the way too much. I notice if you put the SUV in park, it still has a tendency to roll a bit after you take your foot off the brake. Even after fixing the recalled accelerator cable, the SUV still has a tendency to lurch forward when taking your foot off the accelerator. Rear liftgate hatch has broken and won't lock. Cost of repair is over $300. High highway noise, not so good gas mileage, not pleased with Mazda overall.

a bit disappointed
By elizabeth ochoa on 12/07/05 20:49 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

SUV is comfortable, stylish. Disappointed with the quality. 6-CD player has been changed 3 times, disappointed to find out I get refurbished CD replacement, not a new CD player, even under factory warranty. Steering wheel pin has been changed twice; starting to squeak again. Discs - front disc brakes have been replaced, braking is too low. Moon roof mechanism already replaced. Very disappointed with factory warranty, service and treatment. Not pleased with Mazda quality.

GOOD FUN AND RELIABLE
By vinlanda on 03/04/05 11:26 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Wasn't sure at first, but have grown to like this vehicle. Good pep, sporty style, and easy on the eye. Only downfalls, are the interior collects way to much lint and dirt, and the gas pedal is too hard or sticky. But overall it is a good vehicle and am pleased. Little noisy, but better tires helps that.

EXPECTED BETTER
By JEMII on 01/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I HAVE HAD THE VEHICLE TOWED TO THE DEALERSHIP THREE TIMES BEFORE THE PROBLEM COULD BE FIXED. WE HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM GETTING THE VEHICLE STARTED SINCE THEN. WE WILL NOW HAVE TO TAKE IT BACK A SECOND TIME FOR A DOOR LOCK PROBLEM. THE DEALERSHIP WILL HAVE TO ORDER THE PART TO DO REPAIR. THE GAS MILEAGE HAS BEEN LOWER THAN POSTED ON THE WINDOW STICKER.

Amazing
By Robert Easterday on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

For abd SUV this car drives just like a car without all the hastel of driving a car that is to large. Truly a blessing to drive.