Used 2003 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Over 300,000 miles
By bluechicken

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Mazda Tribute new in December 2002. I live at 6,000 ft elevation on a mountain. For the first 9 years of owning my Tribute, I commuted 100 miles a day, mountain road all the way. My Tribute had no trouble pulling the grade going up the mountain. It performs great in the snow with snow tires. It is a very stable vehicle. I now have 306,000 miles on my Tribute!! The only major repairs I have done is a new alternator at 175,000 miles, at 280,000 the radiator blew. When having the radiator replaced I had the coil packs and spark plugs replaced since they were still original!!! Other than those repairs it was just the normal stuff .. batteries, brakes and oil changes.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable interior. Great visibility.

Great little SUV - even after 120K!
By wbzcourt

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am sad to say that I recently totaled my tribute and am now shopping for a new one. I bought my 03 used with 25k miles on it. I was super impressed with its reliability in the 6 years I owned it. Bought new tires once. Major tuneup before a trip at 100k. Other than that - just oil changes. Ran perfectly. It did have some wind noise which was slightly annoying, but certainly tolerable. Other than that, no complaints. It was the perfect size for our family of four..not too big, not too small. Pretty good mpg. And super fun to drive..very peppy lil guy! I'll miss my trib!

Favorite Features

Had everything I needed

Suggested Improvements

Reduce wind noise

IN balance, best ever
By Oldfrat

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned and driven a lot of vehicles in the past 40 years including a 63 Corvair, 2 67 Corvettes, big Plymouths, Mercurys and Cadillacs, and a Dodge Ram truck. My 2003 Tribute is clearly the best ever on an overall basis. The other ones did some things a lot better than the Tribute, but none did everything to the same good level. It has the most driver leg room of any car I've owned. I have used the temporary 4WD to go through some really hairy places. Put the rear seats down and it can carry a surprising amount of stuff. And it is surprisingly kind of fun to drive in most situations.

Favorite Features

Wonderful for tall drivers. Tons of leg and head room! If you get a dashboard message saying your air bag isn't working, go to Google - not your dealer. Your dealer will tell you about the $500 fix. Google will show you how to fix it yourself in about 10 minutes.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise and the gear shifter, as others mentioned. Also, I have three pins in my hip. The very firm seats just about killed me on my first long drive. I then added a very thick gel seating pad (which the Tribute's high head room made possible) and can now drive 12+ hours with no problems.

Pretty good, but many small headaches
By No Name

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 Tribute FWD LX new and have been pretty pleased overall. 90k miles, still has original tires with plenty of tread. However, have replaced wheel bearings (~$450), brakes and rotors, throttle cable sticks and steering wheel squeaks, even after several attempts to have fixed under warranty. Now, power steering fluid leaks, alternator is going bad (seems to be common problem), and rust is forming on the tailgate (water collects on the window frame). However, gets decent MPG (20 city/ 25 hwy) and drives great, handles snow and ice well with FWD. Comfortable seats and fits my 6ft frame with no problems. Ok overall, but wouldn't buy again compared to others.

Favorite Features

Comfortable power with decent MPG, excellent snow handling. Overall strong performer, but no features jump out as excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Improve dealer shop repair success rate, give longer warranty. Move alternator to cooler position to alleviate failures. Reduce road noise.

Very Good for Family
By Mark

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have had very good success with our Tribute. The 6 cylinder engine has sufficient power and acceleration. We previously owned a RAV4 and this vehicle is roomier, handles better and has more power, without sacrificing too much fuel economy.

Favorite Features

The engine. It is both powerful and relatively economical in fuel consumption.

Suggested Improvements

The instrument panel is very basic and lacks refinement.