2003 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Best car on the road for the price
By carrie dunnam on 05/24/07 18:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have always driven Mercedes - this is the best car I have ever owned - I drive 110 miles a day and it has been a wonderful car. The shift is on the column - probably the space would be less and I would lose those nifty pockets in the dash if it was on the floor.

Mazda Tribute
By kathi reardon on 03/28/06 05:55 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Make rear fold down seats differently, can't find ignition key space, too dark.

almost 3 years
By trohn33 on 12/24/05 11:09 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Having owned my Tribute for almost 3 years, it is disappointing to see the check engine light come on and stay on after it has been repaired. For the most part, the Tribute is an extremely enjoyable ride for me, the driver. The passenger seat lacks the same support, so at sudden braking, the passenger may feel as though they are sliding forward. As a lease vehicle, it is a nice choice. However to purchase? Get the extended warranty beyond the given 50,000 miles/4 years. The interior cabin is very roomy, but noisy. In order to hear the radio with some clarity, it has to be turned up quite a bit while driving. You don't realize how loud it is until you restart it. Fuel economy is bad.

Problems.....
By Disgusted Owner on 11/20/05 13:20 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tribute, but it has been in the dealership 4 times for the same issue. Frequently the car does not want to start. The fuel pump was replaced twice. On the 3rd attempt, technical support was contacted and told to replace the IAC valve. It started up like a champ for a few days, then the problem occurred again. It also idles higher than normal since the IAC was replaced. On the 4th repair attempt, the engineers were contacted and the claim there is nothing wrong. According to research I've done on line, other people are experiencing similar issues, down to the fact that Mazda "claims" there is nothing wrong with the car.

2nd one is better
By jaybud31 on 04/07/05 11:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought one in april 2003 brand new 400 miles on it (from transporting) was in the shop m-fri for i think...the first 3 weeks, I got it back on weekends, they couldnt figure out the problem with the engine/cooling lights coming on constantly. I requested after the 4 week, I get to "swap" for a different one, as i had a 1200 mile road trip planned, that was why i bought a new vehicle, so I picked another new one with 15 miles on it in May 2003 paid more, but the 2nd one has been great! no regrets. I love it.

Tribute Will Tow
By Illinibravada on 10/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Researched and test drove alot of midsize SUV's. Really am pleased with the Tribute. (Wife drives Highlander) Mileage 22 combo city/highway. I also use it to tow my 18 ft bass boat. Vehicle has tow package. I get 18-20 mpg when towing the boat. As my 5 year old says it has alot of zoom zoom dad.

Decent SUV
By spd on 09/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Good power, fun to drive. Problems are that the disc brakes and rotors wore out at abt 30,000 miles. Mazda agreed to pay for it this time as they should have lasted longer. Recently I have a great deal of road noise due to tires wearing in a strange way. They are not worn out, but still have to be replaced. This vehicle is driven mainly on the freeway and should not have these types of problems at this mileage. Also, there is a whistling that occurs on the drivers side at around 70mph. Not a good thing when you spend most of your time on the freeways.

Still Got the Zoom Zoom 1 Year Later!
By MWi1068196 on 04/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Outstanding ownership experience. Traded a 2002 Millenia for my Tribute with no regrets whatsoever. Does everything I want it to do and more! Purchasing experience with the dealership wasn't good, to say the least, but service and maintenance with the local dealership has been fantastic!

The 1st was so good I bought a 2nd one
By stormy on 04/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Tribute. My first was a 2001 and I had no problems with it. The only reason I decided to change out for a new one was when the 2001 tribute was about 8 mths old we were hit from behind and flipped onto the drivers side. 9k damage repaired (mostly cosmetic) it now had squeaks. The new one a 2003 does have several things that they changed that were for the better. Moveable headrests, lumbar on the drivers seat, reconfigured where the defrost button was, and changed the radio slightly. I had no issues with the Tribute the way it was, but these are good changes.

Transmission problems within 4 months
By Goforit29 on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really loved my car when I bought it. It was fun to drive and had lots of features for the $$. However, it has only been 4.5 months since I purchased it new (had 60 miles on it) and the transmission has failed. Since this just happened two days ago, all I can say is the dealership still isn't really sure what is wrong with the vehicle and why it malfunctioned. It is just really upsetting to purchase something and have immediate problems with it.

1 2 3 4 5 next »