Used 2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Best car on the road for the price
By carrie dunnam

2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have always driven Mercedes - this is the best car I have ever owned - I drive 110 miles a day and it has been a wonderful car. The shift is on the column - probably the space would be less and I would lose those nifty pockets in the dash if it was on the floor.

Favorite Features

The sporty design and the pick up - I like the way it has extra pockets in the dashboard for cell phone and business cards.

Mazda Tribute
By kathi reardon

2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Make rear fold down seats differently, can't find ignition key space, too dark.

Favorite Features

Get up and go!

Suggested Improvements

Fold down rear seats are less than easy to use!

almost 3 years
By trohn33

2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Having owned my Tribute for almost 3 years, it is disappointing to see the check engine light come on and stay on after it has been repaired. For the most part, the Tribute is an extremely enjoyable ride for me, the driver. The passenger seat lacks the same support, so at sudden braking, the passenger may feel as though they are sliding forward. As a lease vehicle, it is a nice choice. However to purchase? Get the extended warranty beyond the given 50,000 miles/4 years. The interior cabin is very roomy, but noisy. In order to hear the radio with some clarity, it has to be turned up quite a bit while driving. You don't realize how loud it is until you restart it. Fuel economy is bad.

Favorite Features

The comfort of the ride. The roomy interior, the height, and the handling add makes the it fun to drive. Long trips are fun. The sunroof automatically opens with one touch. Excellent cargo space for hauling soil and garden needs and light furniture. The V-6 is well equipped with standard features

Suggested Improvements

Brighter instrument panel. More storage for purse & laptop. Side curtain airbags and other safety features a must. Fold down seats a little easier w/o removing head piece. Improve gas mileage and torque of V-6 engine or add more features to 4-cylinder. Passenger seat, more features for more comfort.

Problems.....
By Disgusted Owner

2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tribute, but it has been in the dealership 4 times for the same issue. Frequently the car does not want to start. The fuel pump was replaced twice. On the 3rd attempt, technical support was contacted and told to replace the IAC valve. It started up like a champ for a few days, then the problem occurred again. It also idles higher than normal since the IAC was replaced. On the 4th repair attempt, the engineers were contacted and the claim there is nothing wrong. According to research I've done on line, other people are experiencing similar issues, down to the fact that Mazda "claims" there is nothing wrong with the car.

Favorite Features

Great features for the price. Nice ride.

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic in the interior. Noise level while driving on freeway needs to be fixed. Shifter gets in the way.

2nd one is better
By jaybud31

2003 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought one in april 2003 brand new 400 miles on it (from transporting) was in the shop m-fri for i think...the first 3 weeks, I got it back on weekends, they couldnt figure out the problem with the engine/cooling lights coming on constantly. I requested after the 4 week, I get to "swap" for a different one, as i had a 1200 mile road trip planned, that was why i bought a new vehicle, so I picked another new one with 15 miles on it in May 2003 paid more, but the 2nd one has been great! no regrets. I love it.

Favorite Features

I love the look, the sound system, the warranty is better than most. after 2 yrs of ownership, it still feels new to me.

Suggested Improvements

i havent looked into the 2005's to see what all is new, other than i know the gear shift is now on the floor, which i wish they would have done from the start. maybe an armrest in the backseat, if the 2005 model didnt add it.