Good choice for Small SUV
By Carficionado on
2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)
Tribute is a nice ride. Was very reliable but there were some annoying build quality issues, like spaces in between the body panels and my A/C - heating went out at 30K! Absurd. Maybe a fan/blower issue. MPG is not good (14-16) if you drive aggressively but its hard not to because the V6 is great. Economic driving will see 21-22 mpg consistently. 4wd works great. Never got stuck & I took it through a few snow storms of 7"plus and this baby plowed right through. Ground clearance is great as I have been light off-roading and gone through severely washed out roads 8-10" of water. Safety is great as SUV is wrecked after someone knocked it into a concrete median on the highway, and walked away with scrapes/bruises.
Favorite Features
V6 engine, roomy front seats, headroom, front and rear leg room (I'm 6'3" 245lbs). Reclining rear seats, good handling for a SUV, great offroad capability for non-truck based SUV, nice upgraded stereo. competitive pricing for what you get. Safety! If you can afford it get the top trim level.
Suggested Improvements
Gas tank is WAY TOO small. This SUV has horrendous range, most I ever got was 340 miles to the tank. Make it a little bigger so us guys so feel like we aren't driving a cute ute! Tighten up build quality Ford! A/C shouldn't go out at 30K. Offer better tires. OEM Continentals stink. That's it really.