Used 2002 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Only 3 flaws
By webjock

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fun, like a car. Not as peppy as it seems, but still a potent 200 hp. Sits high off the ground with no fear of rollover. Corners and steers well, lots of hand grips throughout the cabin for rough terrain. 3 flaws: 1-Move shifter to floor--too easy to knock the 'Bute out of gear reaching for the radio. 2- Interior molding comes loose easily. 3- At highway speed, we had sudden power failure...no steering / brakes...engine died...scary! Mazda says most 'Butes do this, yet there's been no recall! Unacceptable! Nonetheless a satisfying ride. Worth a close look in the small to mid-sized SUV class.

Overall driving experience is satisfying...it fits easily into parking spaces but still seems like a substantial vehicle, corners like a car but has cargo room of an SUV...has a strong drivetrain and comfortable interior. Zoom Zoom!

3 flaws: Gear shift poorly placed on steering column; cheap plastic & rubber molding; and (DANGER!) potential for sudden power loss while driving. See main review for more details.

Fun to drive - around town
By ArtB

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This IS a fun car to drive and looks great but someone my age(74)should be driving something more comfortable. I much prefer our 96 Voyager on trips. Mileage is disappointing, usually about 17 mpg. Car is OK, I'm just 30+ years too late. Car had to have steering box replaced about a month after we bought it. No other problems.

Handling, roadability, power.

Softer seats and arm rests. (Our seats are leather.)

Best SUV under 26K
By Sheila Sullivan

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very peppy performing "small" SUV that feels like a mid-size vehicle & corners like a sports car. Lots of room inside for "real" people, including rear seat legroom. Fold the rear seats down & it becomes a serious hauler - very tall & wide rear hatch. Gas mileage is consistently around 20 mpg (& I drive it enthusiastically!) Just can't beat it for the bucks. After a lot of research, we are strongly considering another new Tribute next year. There just isn't anything else in its class that combines great looks, true functionality, economy of operation, and FUN to drive.

(1) Sports car-like handling. I thought SUV's were "supposed" to be squishy & lethargic. (2) People + "stuff" hauling capability (two full- sized touring bikes easily carried with all doors closed) (3) 4 Cyl like gas mileage from a strong V-6!

The cloth seats seem to be durable and the lumbar support is good, but they are a bit too stiff, especially for long trips. I hope Mazda's engineers might notice that & lobby for more stuffing where the fanny meets the fabric.

We love our Trib!
By MLewis

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Tribute is just about everything we were seeking in a small SUV. It is compact enough to manuever easily in traffic and in and out of tight parking, yet roomy enough for comfort, with a decent cargo capacity. It has a stylish, not-too-sporty look, and as much "get up and go" as we could ask for. When the time comes to replace our 2nd car, another Tribute will be a strong contender. ZOOM ZOOM!

The Tribute is easy to get in and out of and has a roomy interior feel. The upgraded audio system with in-dash CD changer is fantastic. Rear seats fold easily for additional cargo capacity. The power driver's seat makes it easy for both my wife and me to drive comfortably.

Gas mileage is disappointing. The ignition is in a terribly awkward location, as is the release for the tilt steering wheel. I would prefer the gear shift in a center console location.

Love It
By Carluvr

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love this SUV!! I'm used to the gear shift getting in the way of the radio controls, so i just use it to rest my hand on when I'm changing stations. The gas mileage is surprisingly good and I have no complaints!

The exterior design with the rear spoiler, tons of radio stations, roomy interior, nicely designed dashboard and console.

Seats could be softer.