2002 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Not Bad for an SUV
By FirstSUV on 09/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for an mini suv with good passing power and comfort. The tribute had both. The V6 engine has great power on demand. I've had it now for 3 months. The only complaint I have about it is the driver side mirror vibrates at speeds above 70 mph. Otherwise, I'm completely satisfied with the purchase. If you are in the market for one, put it on your test drive list.

Save Your Money-Spend it Elsewhere
By Mazda-Hater on 09/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Actually I have a 2002 Mazda that had to have a new transmission at only 18,000 miles. The dealership was very unhelpful. First they stated that compressor for the air conditioner came in but, after a week they stated not all the parts were there (who knows why it took them a week to discover this). Then they did not have the tool to fix the car (I would think that they had tools to fix the cars they sold). They had our car for two weeks and still did not fix two of the three problems (one was supposed to be fixed by the new transmission). I would not recommend this car to my worse enemy! We are currently looking to replace the car.

This one is a real winner!
By Mort on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My ES was my first American Built vehicle after 34 years of owning cars. Never liked American handling and build quality. Well now, I am a happy convert! This is one hell of a well conceived and executed SUV!

Fun to drive
By Bop on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a new-owner review. I will write a follow-up later, maybe after 6 months or a year. Initial experience, after extensive test-drive and comparisons, is that the Tribute is the best value for the money out there. And it IS fun to drive. I have no complaints at this time, and can only recommend one.

Mazda LX 2wd
By Danley2 on 08/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed finally having an SUV. I found the price to be a very good value. I have only a few design peeves. 1) The gear shift is in the way of the radio controls while driving. 2) The child window lock option is great but when engaged, the driver cannot control the other windows without turning off the lock. 3) The foam molding under the windshield at the dash keeps popping back out from under the dash. 4) The side mirror control button is awkwardly placed making it hard to sit back and check mirror position while changing settings. 5) Fog lights should come on with running lights and not just with headlights on.

Glad to own
By rickwla on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Traded in a Subaru Forester, which was an excellent car, and I'm very satisfied with the performance and roominess of the Tribute. Fuel economy could be better, but it's par for the course for its class. 7 speaker stereo system has great sound. Wish there were seperate controls for the air conditioning and the vent outlets (why Ford chooses to limit air conditioning only to the front vents is a mystery).

robs
By Robtc on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great Car!! We love it. I am 6'4" and I fit just fine in this car. Pleanty of head room and leg room.

Tribute Summary
By stev on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute DX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Here is a summary of the rest of the board. Fun to drive, looks great, good power, and nice ride. Should change the location of gear shifter, noise at high speeds, gas mileage, mud flaps, cheap "leather", lighted cruise control, ignition light-up, and steering wheel radio control. There has been some stalling early in purchase and customer service is horrible. I agree with all but the last two, knock on wood.

Mazda Tribute
By goelker on 08/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nice platform for best looking SUV on the market. Same mechanicals as the Ford Escape, it is cosmetically superior with softer features and better exterior colors. For what we wanted, the price is less for the Mazda than the Ford. Actually, very fun to drive for a SUV. Great visibility and interior space for a vehicle with such a small footprint. Great in small parking lots.

My 2002 Tribute Review
By bluehills55 on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After 9 months and 12,500 miles, all I can say about my Tribute is that it has been a real pleasure ride and there's not a day that goes by that someone compliments the exterior design and looks of this SUV (I have black). I just came back from Florida and put the 4WD to the test on the most sandiest and secluded beaches without any problems. You never know your driving a SUV.It drives, feels and handles like a higher end mid size car. The only problem I have had was a broken back seat latch which the dealer replaced and the horn stopped working (not sure why yet and have an appt with the dealer). No other problems.