2002 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
02 tribute review
By jhouse on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

seats are very unconfortable on long road trips and the interior looks cheap

Very satisfied after 1st year
By AllieB on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really have liked my Mazda Tribute. I went for all the bells and whistles and glad it did. The exterior design is fabulous, and the interior is very functional with lots of room for 4-5 people. The vehicle size is perfect for anyone who wants an SUV with power, but doesn't want those huge Suburban- type cars. Rides smoothly like a car. At 9,000 miles my car stalled at 40 mph, but I had it serviced and they have reprogrammed my onboard computer due to a communication issue with a celltower. I have had no further problems with the vehicle. Customer service at the dealership has been great.

Fun to drive
By pakuf on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV DX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven this car everyday to work and I have had no problems with it. Great acceleration, sound system. good gas millage. Comfortable ride. it is a little loud but the 201 horses can be blamed for that, it is a great SUV. I recommend it.

The potential is there...
By Hopeful in FL on 10/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I fell in love with the design and drive of this vehicle from the first time I saw it and had to have one. You get a lot of features for the relatively low price tag. However, 6 months after we bought, my Tribute, too, stalled on me--in the center lane of the interstate at 60 mph during rush hour. Luckily it started right back up after I got to the shoulder and turned it off. The dealer was great; found the problem right away and fixed it. Mazda is aware of the faulty computer chip (which my dealer reset) and I, too, can't believe they haven't issued a recall. The potential to love this vehicle is definitely there, but I am still skeptical...

great mini-suv
By James W on 10/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second experience with purchasing a new car. The only bad experience I have had from beginning to the present is a pushy salesman from another Mazda company. We went elsewhere, found a nice and easy going guy and love our vehicle. It was well worth the money and besides average gas mileage, my wife and I plan on keeping this car as long as it runs.

Tribute a good buy, fun to drive
By freedjeff on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have had it for 4 months and no problems. Comfortable and truly fun to drive, looking forward to the winter in it. Would recommend to all.

tribute lx 4wd 6 cylinder
By curly on 09/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We owned this vehicle for a little over one year. Initially we were impressed with the size, acceleration, and utility of this vehicle. However, certain annoyances became much more noticeable the longer we drove it. It is NOISY. I repeat NOISY. Rear lift developed a loud rattle which has proven elusive to correct. Cigarette lighter broke after one week. The steering is very heavy at low speeds. The seats are very firm and uncomfortable on long trips. Fuel economy is poor. Brake dust!!! Brake dust all the time on the front wheels. The longer your in this vehicle the more annoying it becomes. Beware future buyers, this is a FORD with mazda badging.

holding my breath....
By jp2spidey on 09/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

bought 2/2002. been in the shop 3 times as of 9/12/02. 2x for stalling problem. 1x for headlight switch not working. (relay problem i was told). headlights not coming on at night is a "bit" of a problem.the dealership has been great, no question about that. i even believe that mazda has not been very forthcoming with them. still,having to keep returning to the dealer on a new car is not very encouraging at all.now we must drive with a constant "readiness" to take the gear shift and quickly move it back into neutral to restart the car while moving.who wants to drive with that kind of pressure??we are considering the lemon law as of this moment.

Best Deal on a SUV
By JCB on 09/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Tribute almost a year a go. 16000+ miles, 3 cross country trips and we are still loving it. Fuel economy has improved ...we are averaging 20 mpg in Atlanta traffic! on the highway we managed 25mpg. Not bad considering the great power and comfort. We seriously considered the Toyota Highlander and the Range Rover Freelander, but Tribute wins... power, price, space, ride and for far less than the others.

Good so far
By Happy so far on 09/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle to replace my 12 year old(180,000 mile) Mazda MPV and so far, I am happy with the purchase. Good looks and mechanically sound.More than sufficient power. Continental tires a bit noisy. Door armrests could be padded.