Used 2002 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Love my Tribute
By LeeAnn

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Tribute for 4 years now and have never had a major problem. It does seem to get good gas mileage as compared to other SUVs I've had and is a lot of fun to drive. I love the way it looks - classy but kinda sporty. The only thing I don't like is the big bulky obtrusive gear shift handle. It looks clumsy and unusually large - kinda ugly. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with this SUV for the money.

The exterior styling and gas mileage.

Good choice for Small SUV
By Carficionado

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Tribute is a nice ride. Was very reliable but there were some annoying build quality issues, like spaces in between the body panels and my A/C - heating went out at 30K! Absurd. Maybe a fan/blower issue. MPG is not good (14-16) if you drive aggressively but its hard not to because the V6 is great. Economic driving will see 21-22 mpg consistently. 4wd works great. Never got stuck & I took it through a few snow storms of 7"plus and this baby plowed right through. Ground clearance is great as I have been light off-roading and gone through severely washed out roads 8-10" of water. Safety is great as SUV is wrecked after someone knocked it into a concrete median on the highway, and walked away with scrapes/bruises.

V6 engine, roomy front seats, headroom, front and rear leg room (I'm 6'3" 245lbs). Reclining rear seats, good handling for a SUV, great offroad capability for non-truck based SUV, nice upgraded stereo. competitive pricing for what you get. Safety! If you can afford it get the top trim level.

Gas tank is WAY TOO small. This SUV has horrendous range, most I ever got was 340 miles to the tank. Make it a little bigger so us guys so feel like we aren't driving a cute ute! Tighten up build quality Ford! A/C shouldn't go out at 30K. Offer better tires. OEM Continentals stink. That's it really.

Pretty reliable after 4 yrs!
By nalarika

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had some problems in the beginning with the transmission and exhaust manifolds, warranty covered those so ever since then we have had no powertrain issues. The door seals seem to sag and that is annoying but other than that the car has a ton of features for the price and has made many adventurous trips with us!

Peppy 200hp engine, 290 watt cd changer system, tow package and 4wd system for snowboard trips. Like the smooth car like ride from the all around independent suspension and the moon roof.

Better gas mileage would be nice. Change the transmission gearing so when climbing a hill it does not have to kick down a gear and rev at 4500 rpm. Better solid door seals and one touch up/down power windows for the passengers.

Great Over the Long Haul - 4+ years
By ameliacatz

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this vehicle for almost 5 years now and overall it has been great. I've had very few problems and it has been economical to maintain. There have been a few recalls which were handled without problem. I did need to have the power sunroof repaired when it decided to stop closing, but it was under warranty and the dealer rushed me in without an appointment the day I called and I've had no problems since. As to brake usage, I'm still using the original set. At the 50,000 service they said it would need brakes next time. My '96 Chevy Blazer needed brakes every 20,000 miles! I just replaced the original tires a few months ago. I've enjoyed driving the vehicle!

Better than average mileage for an SUV. Right in line with EPA estimates. Good looks and trim. Fun to drive. 4WD as needed or push button for always on. Drives well in snow and rain. Like 60/40 split rear seats. Crate for our large dog fits easily with room for our son too. 6-CD changer is great.

They need to have a one-fold system for the back seats for cargo. It's no fun folding the seat parts all around when you're standing in the rain. Rear wiper design needs improvement as wiper can't be cleaned under without re-seating. Less brake dust from front wheels.

Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2002
By jbondjbond

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle has been reliable. It is fun to drive and reasonably comfortable even on an all day drive. It could use a little more back seat leg room and a little more rear storage width. The back seats won't fold flat unless you first remove the headrests. It definitely needs more soundproofing. It is a noisy highway ride. Actual mileage is about 2-3 mpg less than advertised. Overall the vehicle has more pros than cons. We have never had any regrets on the purchase.

The engine is very responsive. It will pass in a flash with no hesitation. The fabric seats are far more comfortable than leather. The adjustable lumbar support in the driver's seat is a nice feature. The vision is good with no serious blind spots. Maneuverability and handling is good.

It needs more rear leg room and a little more width in the rear storage compartment. It definitely needs more soundproofing.

• SUV