2002 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Loveit/Hate it
By Lisbek on 10/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it in 6/02, edited version: door chime rang nonstop when door open, replaced ignition. Happened again and finally fixed. Dashboard scratched during repair, replaced under warranty for being "warped". Odometer replaced (didn't work after dash replaced)resetting the mileage to zero. Incorrect mileage written on door jam sticker. Replaced: master cylinder, drivers seat, drivers side mirror. Repaired: rear window washer (X2), speaker, Air con vent stuck. Currently the power seat won't lower the back half and the replacement seat is developing a lump under the fabric like the first seat. I am going to pursue Mazda buying back the vehicle.

Stalling problem almost killed me...
By DMD on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was quite happy with my Tribute until this week. It stalled 2x. Once at 50mph on a 4 lane hwy in the PM rush hour. Lost all power/brakes & steering. A car-carrier truck (fully loaded w/cars) would have killed me but I was able to muscle the Tribute off the road. Stalled again next day in rush hour going around a curve at 25MPH. Had to muscle it off road into someone's yard to avoid causing an accident. It is at the dealership now. Very scary - very dangerous - someone will be killed if this stalling problem is not fixed. I cannot believe there has been no recall. Is Mazda waiting for a lawsuit?

The Snappy 2002 V-6 MAZDA Tribute 4WD
By Bill Arndt on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent, good looking, snappy little SUV that offers comfort, performance, and reliability. While generally economical for an all-wheel-drive, the fuel economy drops markedly with a boat in tow. The interior appointments are quite good with little lacking except "quiet". Let's face it... this is a noisy vehicle and the unacceptable level of road noise is the only major disappointment we have had with the otherwise great Tribute.

I love my Tribute!!
By piazzafan on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tribute. I've owned it for over a year and have had no problems at all. It is a lot of fun to drive and looks great too. I also liked it better than the Ford Escape (the Escape has rubber on lower body instead of being painted). It has great power and brakes and tight steering. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

Only 3 flaws
By webjock on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fun, like a car. Not as peppy as it seems, but still a potent 200 hp. Sits high off the ground with no fear of rollover. Corners and steers well, lots of hand grips throughout the cabin for rough terrain. 3 flaws: 1-Move shifter to floor--too easy to knock the 'Bute out of gear reaching for the radio. 2- Interior molding comes loose easily. 3- At highway speed, we had sudden power failure...no steering / brakes...engine died...scary! Mazda says most 'Butes do this, yet there's been no recall! Unacceptable! Nonetheless a satisfying ride. Worth a close look in the small to mid-sized SUV class.

Fun to drive - around town
By ArtB on 07/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This IS a fun car to drive and looks great but someone my age(74)should be driving something more comfortable. I much prefer our 96 Voyager on trips. Mileage is disappointing, usually about 17 mpg. Car is OK, I'm just 30+ years too late. Car had to have steering box replaced about a month after we bought it. No other problems.

Best SUV under 26K
By Sheila Sullivan on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very peppy performing "small" SUV that feels like a mid-size vehicle & corners like a sports car. Lots of room inside for "real" people, including rear seat legroom. Fold the rear seats down & it becomes a serious hauler - very tall & wide rear hatch. Gas mileage is consistently around 20 mpg (& I drive it enthusiastically!) Just can't beat it for the bucks. After a lot of research, we are strongly considering another new Tribute next year. There just isn't anything else in its class that combines great looks, true functionality, economy of operation, and FUN to drive.

We love our Trib!
By MLewis on 05/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Tribute is just about everything we were seeking in a small SUV. It is compact enough to manuever easily in traffic and in and out of tight parking, yet roomy enough for comfort, with a decent cargo capacity. It has a stylish, not-too-sporty look, and as much "get up and go" as we could ask for. When the time comes to replace our 2nd car, another Tribute will be a strong contender. ZOOM ZOOM!

Love It
By Carluvr on 05/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love this SUV!! I'm used to the gear shift getting in the way of the radio controls, so i just use it to rest my hand on when I'm changing stations. The gas mileage is surprisingly good and I have no complaints!

I love it
By Joe A. on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Advertised mileage is 19/25, I've been consistently getting 21/26 and even 27 on the highway if I keep it at around 70. It's quick, and handles well. Easily tows my 20 foot bayliner boat.