2002 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews 2

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Love it, will purchase another
By erb1 on 09/02/08 06:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased it new, and my vehicle has 170,000 miles on it. I just changed the spark plugs last week. I have driven 700 miles a week for 3.5 years with no problems. I have replaced the brakes once, three years ago. It's starting to get "squeaky" on turns, so I will replace shocks and struts early next year when I get new tires. There have been a few recalls, and my only complaint is that Mazda dealers are few and far between in this area. Also, some of the parts inside look cheap, like the inside door handles are plastic, covered in a metal looking tape stuff. But hey, they work. Will be driving it until it croaks, and will probably buy a second one next year.

2002 Tribute
By Chubart on 04/26/08 07:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The main problem I've had with this car are the trouble lights. It has been in two accidents and they've never quite fixed the wiring.

Tess's view
By tess on 01/17/08 13:02 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent! Room for two car seats. Only small SUV with 1. leather (easier to wipe off children's mess) 2. sky/sun/moon roof (after a convertable, I really needed to see the sky! it makes watching out door events fun for the kids who like to stand up to see what's going on--& no, the car isn't moving; 3. roomier than the jeep or ford, 4. interior is better looking than the jeep or ford 5. handled a top rack and a bicyle rack, 6.options for the Tribute offer more of what I wanted than either the honda, ford, or jeep. The instrument panel in the jeep is highlighted and better for visual acuity. Over all, I'd buy another one, lots of fun and easy to take care of.

Love my Tribute
By LeeAnn on 10/17/06 20:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Tribute for 4 years now and have never had a major problem. It does seem to get good gas mileage as compared to other SUVs I've had and is a lot of fun to drive. I love the way it looks - classy but kinda sporty. The only thing I don't like is the big bulky obtrusive gear shift handle. It looks clumsy and unusually large - kinda ugly. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with this SUV for the money.

Good choice for Small SUV
By Carficionado on 09/14/06 11:30 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Tribute is a nice ride. Was very reliable but there were some annoying build quality issues, like spaces in between the body panels and my A/C - heating went out at 30K! Absurd. Maybe a fan/blower issue. MPG is not good (14-16) if you drive aggressively but its hard not to because the V6 is great. Economic driving will see 21-22 mpg consistently. 4wd works great. Never got stuck & I took it through a few snow storms of 7"plus and this baby plowed right through. Ground clearance is great as I have been light off-roading and gone through severely washed out roads 8-10" of water. Safety is great as SUV is wrecked after someone knocked it into a concrete median on the highway, and walked away with scrapes/bruises.

Pretty reliable after 4 yrs!
By nalarika on 05/03/06 15:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had some problems in the beginning with the transmission and exhaust manifolds, warranty covered those so ever since then we have had no powertrain issues. The door seals seem to sag and that is annoying but other than that the car has a ton of features for the price and has made many adventurous trips with us!

Great Over the Long Haul - 4+ years
By ameliacatz on 05/02/06 09:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this vehicle for almost 5 years now and overall it has been great. I've had very few problems and it has been economical to maintain. There have been a few recalls which were handled without problem. I did need to have the power sunroof repaired when it decided to stop closing, but it was under warranty and the dealer rushed me in without an appointment the day I called and I've had no problems since. As to brake usage, I'm still using the original set. At the 50,000 service they said it would need brakes next time. My '96 Chevy Blazer needed brakes every 20,000 miles! I just replaced the original tires a few months ago. I've enjoyed driving the vehicle!

Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2002
By jbondjbond on 01/28/06 23:17 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle has been reliable. It is fun to drive and reasonably comfortable even on an all day drive. It could use a little more back seat leg room and a little more rear storage width. The back seats won't fold flat unless you first remove the headrests. It definitely needs more soundproofing. It is a noisy highway ride. Actual mileage is about 2-3 mpg less than advertised. Overall the vehicle has more pros than cons. We have never had any regrets on the purchase.

So far so good!
By ccarlson on 01/06/06 16:43 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Took some time getting used to after driving a car; felt tippy and had too many column levers, kept turning wiper blades on to put it in gear. I agree with some others that it needs a lighted key ignition, hard to locate in the dark even after 3 years. I had engine light come on first year and a couple recalls but all were fixed in a timely manner by the dealer. Seats were and still are hard as a rock, but holding up well. Love the front wheel drive, rarely need the 4WD. Has good visual all around. Tire & wind noise on the inside is loud. Had 6 disk CD player replaced once, has nice sound. If made a little wider and fixed above items, it would be the ultimate small SUV. Good vehicle!

Still Zooming after 50k
By paguy on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Some minor problems with rear window seal leaking but the dealership fixed it promptly and it was covered under warranty. The brake master cylinder had a defective cap, that was also fixed. Had a few recalls. Nothing major. Our Tribute is just as quick and tight as it was when we bought it. Still a blast to drive. It's only 2wd but seems to go about anywhere anyways. The only complaint I have is the size of the gas tank and the mileage. The gas tank is only about 15 gal. and seems like we're always filling the tank. I suppose the mileage is ok for a small 6 cyl. SUV. We get around 18 or 19 mpg city and around 24 or 25 mpg highway.