Used 2002 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Reliable and good looking
By apglaser

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Tribute LX used with 106,000 miles on it and haven't had any problems at all! We are now at 125,000, and took it on a road trip from CA to UT. This past week was very rainy and my husband went crashing through all the deep puddles and the #3 spark plug got wet, causing a misfire. However, after a day or so it dried up and ran normal again. It has plenty on room in the backseat for 2 carseats, with more than enough cargo space for our double-stroller. I love my "Mazzy" and would recommend it to anyone.

Exterior design, spacious cabin, adequate power, strong engine.

Cloth glue on door panels needs to be stronger.

Loyal Long-Term Friend
By H. B. Laidlaw

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new as my wife's commuter and weekend driver. Living in Maine with grandchildren in Vermont, we learned quickly that it is terrific in the snow. Problem areas: front suspension work needed at 45,000 and new front axles due to rusted tone rings (part of ABS system) at 55,000. The torque converter stutters occasionally when downshifting, but otherwise the engine/drive train work seamlessly and after 8 years it still drives like new.

Two-way opening hatch. Responsive steering and sporty handling. Driver position feels just right. Love the huge flat luggage space when the rear seats are down. Great visibility.

Make the seats more comfortable on long trips. Move gear shift so it does not block radio controls. Provide a trip computer. Improve insulation to lessen road noise. Needs a 5 speed tranny.

2002 Mazda Tribute ES
By Andrew

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this SUV for almost 8 years. It has been a reliable car. Some people even confuse it some times with an older Lexus RX300. Not sure what they are thinking, but I'll take the positive impression.

6 CD Changer, Sunroof, Leather, Tow package, & 4WD.

Better MPG. No heated seats on 2002. Wiring under drivers seat tends to come undone if seat is moved or if someone hits it with their feet in the back seat.

GREAT CAR!
By michst2789

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Tribute, before this I had a 2003. This a great car that could last for a long time. Reliability is great, gas mileage is lacking, but that is expected with an SUV. Comfort is really good and it really gets up and goes with that V6 engine in it. GREAT CAR OVERALL!!

Great V6 engine, Nice power moonroof, Power seats, GREAT sound system, great, comfortable leather seats. OVERALL a great car for a great value

The only thing I would change would be the gas mileage but that would be something I couldn't control.

Helloo Money Pit!
By Threnners

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Sigh...In the past three years I have had to replace the dash odometer light, chrome hood piece, IAC Valve, Master brake cylinder, gearshift cable, the driver's side door handle, a fog light, and had to have work done on a misfiring cylinder. It creaks every time I make a left turn (bad sway bar links I'm told) and howls in the cold. The cloth is peeling off every interior door. One of the seats in the back won't go down (first time I tried!) I'm really let down because I really loved the Tribute (over the Escape) and REALLY wanted this car and to keep it 10 years but I don't think it's going to make it. When it does work though, it works very well.

Exterior styling, great gas mileage, the 6 disc cd changer & premium sound, V6 Engine, roomy cabin space

Decrease the road noise inside the cabin, bigger gas tank, better glue on your cloth!