Used 2002 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda Tribute

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Good so far
By Happy so far

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle to replace my 12 year old(180,000 mile) Mazda MPV and so far, I am happy with the purchase. Good looks and mechanically sound.More than sufficient power. Continental tires a bit noisy. Door armrests could be padded.

Favorite Features

Good power,nice exterior styling,very good abs brakes and nice safety package.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap plastic dashboard appearance. Could use better gas mileage.

Not Bad for an SUV
By FirstSUV

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for an mini suv with good passing power and comfort. The tribute had both. The V6 engine has great power on demand. I've had it now for 3 months. The only complaint I have about it is the driver side mirror vibrates at speeds above 70 mph. Otherwise, I'm completely satisfied with the purchase. If you are in the market for one, put it on your test drive list.

Favorite Features

V6 power

Suggested Improvements

Reduce wind noise at high speeds

Save Your Money-Spend it Elsewhere
By Mazda-Hater

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Actually I have a 2002 Mazda that had to have a new transmission at only 18,000 miles. The dealership was very unhelpful. First they stated that compressor for the air conditioner came in but, after a week they stated not all the parts were there (who knows why it took them a week to discover this). Then they did not have the tool to fix the car (I would think that they had tools to fix the cars they sold). They had our car for two weeks and still did not fix two of the three problems (one was supposed to be fixed by the new transmission). I would not recommend this car to my worse enemy! We are currently looking to replace the car.

Favorite Features

Nothing that would encourage me to buy the car.

Suggested Improvements

Everything-Reliability and the Dealerships that sell the vehicle should be more concerned with customer satisfaction!!!!!!!

Fun to drive
By Bop

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a new-owner review. I will write a follow-up later, maybe after 6 months or a year. Initial experience, after extensive test-drive and comparisons, is that the Tribute is the best value for the money out there. And it IS fun to drive. I have no complaints at this time, and can only recommend one.

Favorite Features

Looks good. 4-wheel drive / 4-lock- hi. Premium audio. Best (?) engine in class. Comfortable. Fully loaded for under $25k with tax / title / reg / etc. included.

Suggested Improvements

While traction control / bigger engine / more advanced transmission etc. are always an improvement, the fact is that the average person wouldn't notice a difference in performance, but the $3 - 8k increase in price would destroy the value factor completely. Great value as is.

This one is a real winner!
By Mort

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My ES was my first American Built vehicle after 34 years of owning cars. Never liked American handling and build quality. Well now, I am a happy convert! This is one hell of a well conceived and executed SUV!

Favorite Features

Strong engine, perfect steering feel, firm ride, great bucket and rear bench seats, terrific premium sound system, no rattles, huge moonroof, great design.

Suggested Improvements

Instument cluster needs more protection from sun (washes it out), shift lever to easy to move, needs better cluster gear location display, larger fuel tank and full size wheel storage. Driver window and lock buttons need illumination of all functions.