2002 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Good value
By satisfied buyer on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I did my research and found the Mazda had better handeling, overall finish the the liberty, better gas mileage and more kick than the Honda and Toyota I am very pleased.

MZ Tribute
By longrk on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute DX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Drives like a car.

what a dissapointment
By ears on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Like may of the other people who posted comments, I too liked my Tribute when I first purchased it. With under 10,000 we had to have a new trans put into the vehicle. Since then it's been in the shop 4 additonal times (another major problem was the rack, which had to be replaced). The final straw was when the vehicle stalled in traffic. I've contacted a Lemon Law attorney.

UNHAPPY..SAFETY ALERT
By UNHAPPY2 on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Since our purchase we have had nothing but problems with the car.It has been in the shop more than home. There have been many issues including faulty break cylinder,windshield wiper motor going out in the middle a rain storm,clunking noise from front end for which they have tried but failed to fix with new tires, left front axel,new transmission and torque converters. The latest while my wife and child were driving on a heavy traffic street the car stalled and would not start again. By the way coming very close to being hit by a mack truck! The reason for the stall a known computer chip problem for which Mazda has decided to fix only after someone has a problem with it.

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom
By VanTastic on 03/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Tribute after test driving a Santa Fe. I liked the Hyudai's shifter, but the Tribute beat it hands down in power and ride. The only problem in 5k miles is getting the dealer to make a second key (they lost it)...dealer satisfaction was low, but car satisfaction is high. The ride is smooth and not to stiff. Gas mileage is fine for a vehicle this size. Even the wife creature likes it. I almost wish I got the 4wd, but it's not really necessary in Las Vegas. I'm thinking of adding the rear spoiler (to help keep the back window clean), mud flaps (should be standard on a SUV), and bug deflector. All-in-all I love my Trib. ZOOM-ZOOM-ZOOM

2 years 5 months still very satisfied
By MatthewM33 on 03/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the Tribute in October of 2000. At that time there were barely any other Tributes on the road. Im glad to say that even with more on the road its styling still stands out from all the other SUVs. The value for your dollar is incredible with Tribute. The only negatives I could say about the SUV are in the interior. The shift nob on my ES model blocks the radio volume, the cruise control on the steering wheel does not iluminate at night and the door has no padding to rest your arm.

awesome car
By chris123 on 03/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

this is an awesome car!! i love the car!

My Tribute
By Evelyn on 03/17/02 16:44 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After driving minivans for 12 years, I needed a change but did not want to drive an "ordinary" car. After alot of looking and comparison shopping, I spotted the Tribute and was sold. I've only had it for 3 months but haven't had as much fun driving a vehicle since I was 20 and had a sports car. I love it and it has lived up to my expectations so far. Only thing that gets in my way is the gear lever when I reach for the radio controls, and that is a minor point.

mazda tribute lx
By Justine Ryan on 03/08/02 15:06 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I decided to buy a 4 wheel drive SUV as my purchase due to the fact that I drive frequently to VT and it is very hilly and snowy in my destination area. I compared many type and model SUV's and opted to purchase a mini SUV. I then selected the Mazda Tribute for it's looks, it's desent gas mileage for an SUV and it's excellent safety record.

Great SUV!
By Mike in NJ on 03/07/02 08:27 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

In October 2000, read a glowing review of the Tribute in Edmunds. Test drive was impressive. Ordered an ES and had a 3-month wait for delivery (the early days). Its primarily my wife's car, but we both use it and have no qualms about our purchase. NO PROBLEMS at all. It is fun to drive and economical. We haul loads of supplies to and from our lake house in the Spring and Fall and have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of "stuff" it will hold. We highly recommend it to you.