Used 2002 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Oh, Gee, It stalled?
By UnHappy3

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our Tribute was in the Dealer's shop for 63 days to repair the stalling problem. I was assured by Mazda H.Q. in Irvine, CA that the Tribute was fixed and there has not been any reoccurrences of Tributes that have had this repair done. Less than a month later my wife and child were again driving in the Tribute when it stalled exactly as it had done before the repair. In my opinion someone is going to die in one of these cars.

Notify Tribute owners of the potential stalling problem and have each of the cars checked out. (As soon as you really do figure out the fix. In my opinion you have not yet fixed the problem.

02 tribute review
By jhouse

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

seats are very unconfortable on long road trips and the interior looks cheap

The performance is very good and cargo area is big but not to big

Make interior changes to Seats and to dash. only chrome on the door handles looks cheap.

Fun to drive
By pakuf

2002 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven this car everyday to work and I have had no problems with it. Great acceleration, sound system. good gas millage. Comfortable ride. it is a little loud but the 201 horses can be blamed for that, it is a great SUV. I recommend it.

V6 power, roomy interior

change the gear shift to the floor.

Very satisfied after 1st year
By AllieB

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really have liked my Mazda Tribute. I went for all the bells and whistles and glad it did. The exterior design is fabulous, and the interior is very functional with lots of room for 4-5 people. The vehicle size is perfect for anyone who wants an SUV with power, but doesn't want those huge Suburban- type cars. Rides smoothly like a car. At 9,000 miles my car stalled at 40 mph, but I had it serviced and they have reprogrammed my onboard computer due to a communication issue with a celltower. I have had no further problems with the vehicle. Customer service at the dealership has been great.

Love the cargo space, vehicle height getting in/out of car, exterior design, in-dash CD changer, great leg room in back seat, thick rubber floor mats are terrific for managing dirt and snow. Handles nimbly and easy to drive.

Move the gear shift! Need More cargo- space cubbies in rear. Seats even with lumbar support are too stiff for long rides. Better gas mileage! Wish vent had option for turning off outside air when needed. Too much road noise. Cargo net is worthless.

The potential is there...
By Hopeful in FL

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I fell in love with the design and drive of this vehicle from the first time I saw it and had to have one. You get a lot of features for the relatively low price tag. However, 6 months after we bought, my Tribute, too, stalled on me--in the center lane of the interstate at 60 mph during rush hour. Luckily it started right back up after I got to the shoulder and turned it off. The dealer was great; found the problem right away and fixed it. Mazda is aware of the faulty computer chip (which my dealer reset) and I, too, can't believe they haven't issued a recall. The potential to love this vehicle is definitely there, but I am still skeptical...

Size, maneuverablilty, in-dash CD changer, visibility, handling, cargo room, smooth ride, overall feeling of safety (sans the stalling episode/potential reoccurrence)

MOVE THAT GEAR SHIFT!! Take-off from idle is too sluggish. Leather is not holding up well. Plastic "bolts" are already coming loose (floor board).