Used 2002 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Squeeks, rattles and no rolls
By SPD

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first true cold winter with the Trib and it's developed some noisy squeeks and rattles. The most annoying is the center arm rest. Any small amount of pressure applied to it and it squeeks...this has to go. I've read all the possible problems with the Trib, but this is a new one. The next one is the back window; rattle, rattle and rattle. I realize that most "hatchbacks" develope rattles, but I don't want to hear them on my year old, 25k vehicle.

Favorite Features

Handling and more handling. This is my first SUV (truck) and it's good in- between vechicle. The 4 wheel drive system is good also.

Suggested Improvements

uumm, I'll try some different constructive critizism. How'sa 'bout a five speed transmission. Less shifting and better gas mileage!

AOK by me
By teleskier

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've only had the Trib for 3 months, but so far I've enjoyed my purchase. My biggest concern was performance in snow, as I live in a mountainous region and like to ski. The Trib has done fine driving through snow storms and up snowy mountain roads. It also holds all my gear with out a problem. I like the power it has to go up Mountain passes and to cruise on the highway. The roof rack could be a little higher as the clamps for Thule ski rack I put on don't have enough clearance off the roof. The gas milage is disappointing, I've been averaging 18-19 mpg with a combination of highway and city driving. R

Favorite Features

Good road performance, handles well. Cargo space handles recreation gear and a bike fits in easily with the rear seats folded down. Nice stereo system. I like the styling.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic transmission shifter could be shorten a couple of inches. The windshield has pitted rather easily in my opinion. When driving at highway speeds, wind noise from the driver side window is enough to be noticable. The window is shut as tight as possible.

Review of a Mazda lover
By Reetz

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Tribute in March of 2002. It's fun to drive and is very reliable. It handles every kind of road condition and even stops straight on icy roads. The things I would improve would be the front passenger's seat belt. It locks up too easily. Also, the interior quality could be better. The molding on the inside of the doors keeps coming loose. Then again, there is no perfect car in my opinion.

Whining
By db4180

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Everything is great except for a whining noise @35-40 mph. Then it disappears. Any comments would be appreciated.

Favorite Features

Mini-rocket

Suggested Improvements

Could use some more wight.

I still love my little Tribute!!!!
By fastmonte24

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my little Mazda for almost 8 months and still love it! Knock on wood, I have had not one single problem with it. My Trib goes anywhere I need to go, in any weather condition. The push button 4 wheel drive- very convenient!!!! I will buy a new version on this vehicle in a few years. Yes, I still miss some of the features of a CAR, but would not trade my Trib anytime soon.

Favorite Features

push button 4 wheel drive, fun sound system, back hatch that opens either just the window or the whole thing (convenient when shopping), smooth ride and the openness of the interior

Suggested Improvements

I still can't believe how the gas mileage is not the greatest. I'm sure that Mazda could fix the problem quite easily.