2002 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Zoom Zoom Zoom of a SUV
By John Bell on 06/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a fun car to drive, Handles well in all conditions. V6 offers great pickup. Very good gas MPG.

So far so good
By Jaddy on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute DX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Tribute for a year now and have no troubles. The ride is very smooth, and the drivetrain is surprisingly responsive, considering the low-end power package. The interior is very roomy for all five passengers, with plenty of cargo area as well. The only negatives I have noticed is in the transmission. It can be difficult to shift gears at higher rpms, and it has a tendency to spin the tires too easily when accelerating from a stop. But overall, I'm very pleased.

Bad Experience. Good Timing
By doreen on 06/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just want everyone to know, I test drove a brand new Mazda Tribute that only had 35 miles on it and it stalled while I was in the car with the salesperson. That is not good

Test Drive
By Aven Ravenshadow on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Tribute is a wonderfull commuter car. Comfortable, quiet, and cool. The paint schemes available for the vehicle are plentiful. The model selectability seems to be just as plentiful. The V6 model (tested) is really powerful. The drawback of the vehicle is the car based chasis. The vehicle is based on the Mazda 626 frame. Which means it is a front wheel drive car with an all wheel drive option. For someone who does not like front wheel drive automobiles (from a maintenance stand point) this "car" is not for you.

Fun to drive
By Vlad3v on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I tried this vehicle on highways (in CA), in the city traffic, on the rural road and in the heavy snow in mountains (Lake Tahoe). It's always been fun to drive. I never had luck of power and didn't miss bigger engines of Jeeps, etc. Vehicle's behavior on heavy snow (powder ~1/2 of a wheel) has by far exceeded my expectations of "parquette SUV".

Love my First Mazda!!
By R Mcintyre on 06/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first attempt at having a non-GM vehicle and I have been extremely happy. I have already put 10,000 miles on my Tribute and have not had any problems with it to date. The only options I bought were the in dash 6 disc CD changer and ABS. I checked all the other SUVs out at the time and this was the best value by far. I think it has classier exterior styling than its counterpart, the Ford Escape.

An Easy Choice
By Fasteddie on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We had the chance to drive and compare the Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, Toyota Highlander and the Mazda Tribute 2WD V6ES. All things considered the Tribute was an easy choice. Compared to a similarly equipped Toyota Highlander, the Tribute came in at $6,000.00 less! The Honda and the Subaru did not have enough space and power (both had 4 cyl engines and no V6 was available) for our needs, and their prices were comparable, less for your money!

Be Careful
By thenetz on 05/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had a clunking noise from my 2001 Tribute for about 1 month now. The dealership keeps telling me they cannot find anything wrong. They rotated the tires and changed a shock. They say it was my fault for not rotating the tires every 5000 miles, after only 17000 miles there should not be such a problem that it feels like a constant flat tire, but that is what mine feels like. The dealership doesn't seem to care that there is a problem. Be careful who you buy from how their customer service is.

Tribute ES-V6 4WD ... fun driving
By orlie on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

A year ago, I was looking for an affordable, useful, and good looking vehicle to replace my old sedan. The Tribute was my #1 choice back then (Jan '01), and it still is now (May '02). It's by far the most useful yet fun to drive vehicle I've had without breaking my budget. I love the way it handles on just about all on- road conditions although I wouldn't take it off-road -- it's not a Jeep. Gas mileage is disappointing at 16mpg city and 21mpg highway, less than the EPA ratings, but that may be because I enjoy driving it too much. Exterior is stylish and refined-looking; interior needs better materials and sound insulation.

Coulda shoulda be a great SUV
By LovettsHokie on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Well, I love many things about this vehicle. Great styling, ride, handling, to name a few. But, I purchased the car on 12-30-2001 and have had to have the right front wheel bearing replaced and a completely new transmission. The bearing I thought was a fluke. But to have two major repairs in the first four months of owning a car? I have had great experiences with my service people, but they can not explain it. So I will. This car did not get all of the proper quality control checks. There is no way this car should have made it onto the street. What should be a great SUV, is now tarnished. Will I buy a Mazda or Ford again? Let me think, hmmmmmm Not on your life or anyone else's.