2002 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
HORRIBLE!!
By avalencia on 10/11/12 16:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My first car and I HATE it. Literally one thing after another kept breaking down and has had 2 recalls from Mazda since I have had it. I drove it about 20 times if even that because it was always in the shop. The last thing that went bad was the head gaskets and I need to sell the truck as is because to fix it, it was $1600. If you don't want to go broke, do NOT buy this p.o.s.

best car ive ever owned
By moparman15 on 08/15/11 09:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV DX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

got it in 2002 brand new, drive it everyday since now 100k miles...NOT ONE PROBLEM! the only thing thats been replaced is the battery. This thing can fly never expected it to be so fast. The steering is a little too tight but over all best car ive ever owned.

Reliable and good looking
By apglaser on 01/01/11 18:40 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Tribute LX used with 106,000 miles on it and haven't had any problems at all! We are now at 125,000, and took it on a road trip from CA to UT. This past week was very rainy and my husband went crashing through all the deep puddles and the #3 spark plug got wet, causing a misfire. However, after a day or so it dried up and ran normal again. It has plenty on room in the backseat for 2 carseats, with more than enough cargo space for our double-stroller. I love my "Mazzy" and would recommend it to anyone.

Loyal Long-Term Friend
By H. B. Laidlaw on 03/28/10 14:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new as my wife's commuter and weekend driver. Living in Maine with grandchildren in Vermont, we learned quickly that it is terrific in the snow. Problem areas: front suspension work needed at 45,000 and new front axles due to rusted tone rings (part of ABS system) at 55,000. The torque converter stutters occasionally when downshifting, but otherwise the engine/drive train work seamlessly and after 8 years it still drives like new.

2002 Mazda Tribute ES
By Andrew on 03/06/10 09:55 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this SUV for almost 8 years. It has been a reliable car. Some people even confuse it some times with an older Lexus RX300. Not sure what they are thinking, but I'll take the positive impression.

GREAT CAR!
By michst2789 on 09/19/09 05:44 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Tribute, before this I had a 2003. This a great car that could last for a long time. Reliability is great, gas mileage is lacking, but that is expected with an SUV. Comfort is really good and it really gets up and goes with that V6 engine in it. GREAT CAR OVERALL!!

Helloo Money Pit!
By Threnners on 09/10/09 07:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Sigh...In the past three years I have had to replace the dash odometer light, chrome hood piece, IAC Valve, Master brake cylinder, gearshift cable, the driver's side door handle, a fog light, and had to have work done on a misfiring cylinder. It creaks every time I make a left turn (bad sway bar links I'm told) and howls in the cold. The cloth is peeling off every interior door. One of the seats in the back won't go down (first time I tried!) I'm really let down because I really loved the Tribute (over the Escape) and REALLY wanted this car and to keep it 10 years but I don't think it's going to make it. When it does work though, it works very well.

Mine was rolled and I walked away!
By Heather Jones on 12/05/08 11:41 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my Mazda, I had it for 6 months, it was rolled in an accident and we all were in one piece! We walked away the Mazda wasn't drivable but it was also in one piece. They are very well made cars and I would definitely recommend one to someone I care about! I just need a new one!

6 Years Later
By Carl on 09/13/08 22:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Mazda Navajo Owner for 10 years - best vehicle ever; purchased Tribute and was satisfied with vehicle until the warranty ran out. Immediately thereafter, vehicle falling apart. Computer failed and stranded me 300 miles from home; cruise control not working, instrument panel not working,airbag sensor faulty, many electrical problems; power door locks failed and replaced; power window switches failed/replaced; fluid leaks that mechanics cannot locate, brake dust is horrible on wheels. Every week a new problem develops on this vehicle. Very disappointed -- the Mazda Tribute fails in comparison to my previous Navajo which went 150,000 miles no problems. The Tribute fell apart at 70,000 miles.

Love it, will purchase another
By erb1 on 09/02/08 06:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased it new, and my vehicle has 170,000 miles on it. I just changed the spark plugs last week. I have driven 700 miles a week for 3.5 years with no problems. I have replaced the brakes once, three years ago. It's starting to get "squeaky" on turns, so I will replace shocks and struts early next year when I get new tires. There have been a few recalls, and my only complaint is that Mazda dealers are few and far between in this area. Also, some of the parts inside look cheap, like the inside door handles are plastic, covered in a metal looking tape stuff. But hey, they work. Will be driving it until it croaks, and will probably buy a second one next year.