Used 2002 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

never buy a tribute
By Angel Pereira

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had just bought my 2002 tribute 4 weeks ago and it started losing power and this past Saturday it cot on firer totaled the vehicle luckly everyone got out ok had pregnant daughter 4 year old grandson and would of had my 9 month old granddaughter thank god her mother got off work early that day now stuck with no money no transportion and lots of head aches come to fined out its a manufactory defect

HORRIBLE!!
By avalencia

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My first car and I HATE it. Literally one thing after another kept breaking down and has had 2 recalls from Mazda since I have had it. I drove it about 20 times if even that because it was always in the shop. The last thing that went bad was the head gaskets and I need to sell the truck as is because to fix it, it was $1600. If you don't want to go broke, do NOT buy this p.o.s.

Favorite Features

nothing

Suggested Improvements

everything

best car ive ever owned
By moparman15

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV DX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

got it in 2002 brand new, drive it everyday since now 100k miles...NOT ONE PROBLEM! the only thing thats been replaced is the battery. This thing can fly never expected it to be so fast. The steering is a little too tight but over all best car ive ever owned.

Suggested Improvements

Radio, the screen stopped working and the steering is a little too tight

Reliable and good looking
By apglaser

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Tribute LX used with 106,000 miles on it and haven't had any problems at all! We are now at 125,000, and took it on a road trip from CA to UT. This past week was very rainy and my husband went crashing through all the deep puddles and the #3 spark plug got wet, causing a misfire. However, after a day or so it dried up and ran normal again. It has plenty on room in the backseat for 2 carseats, with more than enough cargo space for our double-stroller. I love my "Mazzy" and would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, spacious cabin, adequate power, strong engine.

Suggested Improvements

Cloth glue on door panels needs to be stronger.

Loyal Long-Term Friend
By H. B. Laidlaw

2002 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new as my wife's commuter and weekend driver. Living in Maine with grandchildren in Vermont, we learned quickly that it is terrific in the snow. Problem areas: front suspension work needed at 45,000 and new front axles due to rusted tone rings (part of ABS system) at 55,000. The torque converter stutters occasionally when downshifting, but otherwise the engine/drive train work seamlessly and after 8 years it still drives like new.

Favorite Features

Two-way opening hatch. Responsive steering and sporty handling. Driver position feels just right. Love the huge flat luggage space when the rear seats are down. Great visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Make the seats more comfortable on long trips. Move gear shift so it does not block radio controls. Provide a trip computer. Improve insulation to lessen road noise. Needs a 5 speed tranny.