2002 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
HORRIBLE!!
By avalencia on 10/11/12 16:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My first car and I HATE it. Literally one thing after another kept breaking down and has had 2 recalls from Mazda since I have had it. I drove it about 20 times if even that because it was always in the shop. The last thing that went bad was the head gaskets and I need to sell the truck as is because to fix it, it was $1600. If you don't want to go broke, do NOT buy this p.o.s.

Reliable and good looking
By apglaser on 01/01/11 18:40 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Tribute LX used with 106,000 miles on it and haven't had any problems at all! We are now at 125,000, and took it on a road trip from CA to UT. This past week was very rainy and my husband went crashing through all the deep puddles and the #3 spark plug got wet, causing a misfire. However, after a day or so it dried up and ran normal again. It has plenty on room in the backseat for 2 carseats, with more than enough cargo space for our double-stroller. I love my "Mazzy" and would recommend it to anyone.

Helloo Money Pit!
By Threnners on 09/10/09 07:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Sigh...In the past three years I have had to replace the dash odometer light, chrome hood piece, IAC Valve, Master brake cylinder, gearshift cable, the driver's side door handle, a fog light, and had to have work done on a misfiring cylinder. It creaks every time I make a left turn (bad sway bar links I'm told) and howls in the cold. The cloth is peeling off every interior door. One of the seats in the back won't go down (first time I tried!) I'm really let down because I really loved the Tribute (over the Escape) and REALLY wanted this car and to keep it 10 years but I don't think it's going to make it. When it does work though, it works very well.

Mine was rolled and I walked away!
By Heather Jones on 12/05/08 11:41 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my Mazda, I had it for 6 months, it was rolled in an accident and we all were in one piece! We walked away the Mazda wasn't drivable but it was also in one piece. They are very well made cars and I would definitely recommend one to someone I care about! I just need a new one!

6 Years Later
By Carl on 09/13/08 22:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Mazda Navajo Owner for 10 years - best vehicle ever; purchased Tribute and was satisfied with vehicle until the warranty ran out. Immediately thereafter, vehicle falling apart. Computer failed and stranded me 300 miles from home; cruise control not working, instrument panel not working,airbag sensor faulty, many electrical problems; power door locks failed and replaced; power window switches failed/replaced; fluid leaks that mechanics cannot locate, brake dust is horrible on wheels. Every week a new problem develops on this vehicle. Very disappointed -- the Mazda Tribute fails in comparison to my previous Navajo which went 150,000 miles no problems. The Tribute fell apart at 70,000 miles.

Love it, will purchase another
By erb1 on 09/02/08 06:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased it new, and my vehicle has 170,000 miles on it. I just changed the spark plugs last week. I have driven 700 miles a week for 3.5 years with no problems. I have replaced the brakes once, three years ago. It's starting to get "squeaky" on turns, so I will replace shocks and struts early next year when I get new tires. There have been a few recalls, and my only complaint is that Mazda dealers are few and far between in this area. Also, some of the parts inside look cheap, like the inside door handles are plastic, covered in a metal looking tape stuff. But hey, they work. Will be driving it until it croaks, and will probably buy a second one next year.

Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2002
By jbondjbond on 01/28/06 23:17 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle has been reliable. It is fun to drive and reasonably comfortable even on an all day drive. It could use a little more back seat leg room and a little more rear storage width. The back seats won't fold flat unless you first remove the headrests. It definitely needs more soundproofing. It is a noisy highway ride. Actual mileage is about 2-3 mpg less than advertised. Overall the vehicle has more pros than cons. We have never had any regrets on the purchase.

Still Zooming after 50k
By paguy on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Some minor problems with rear window seal leaking but the dealership fixed it promptly and it was covered under warranty. The brake master cylinder had a defective cap, that was also fixed. Had a few recalls. Nothing major. Our Tribute is just as quick and tight as it was when we bought it. Still a blast to drive. It's only 2wd but seems to go about anywhere anyways. The only complaint I have is the size of the gas tank and the mileage. The gas tank is only about 15 gal. and seems like we're always filling the tank. I suppose the mileage is ok for a small 6 cyl. SUV. We get around 18 or 19 mpg city and around 24 or 25 mpg highway.

Nice SUV
By Freeway823 on 10/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

the vehicle is good looking has a powerful motor and nimble handling. Has all the power equiptment that is to be expected in a SUV. The roof rack is nice but I dont think I will ever use it. The tinted glass is a nice touch.

My 2002 Tribute
By sphilips on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is a great vehicle. Rides nicely and very roomy. Exterior is quite attractive. Mazda has an excellent warranty. Jeff Haas has a superior service department. This is my third Mazda, I plan on buying a 2005 Tribute. Love it!!!!