Used 2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

HORRIBLE!!
By avalencia

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My first car and I HATE it. Literally one thing after another kept breaking down and has had 2 recalls from Mazda since I have had it. I drove it about 20 times if even that because it was always in the shop. The last thing that went bad was the head gaskets and I need to sell the truck as is because to fix it, it was $1600. If you don't want to go broke, do NOT buy this p.o.s.

nothing

everything

Reliable and good looking
By apglaser

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Tribute LX used with 106,000 miles on it and haven't had any problems at all! We are now at 125,000, and took it on a road trip from CA to UT. This past week was very rainy and my husband went crashing through all the deep puddles and the #3 spark plug got wet, causing a misfire. However, after a day or so it dried up and ran normal again. It has plenty on room in the backseat for 2 carseats, with more than enough cargo space for our double-stroller. I love my "Mazzy" and would recommend it to anyone.

Exterior design, spacious cabin, adequate power, strong engine.

Cloth glue on door panels needs to be stronger.

Helloo Money Pit!
By Threnners

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Sigh...In the past three years I have had to replace the dash odometer light, chrome hood piece, IAC Valve, Master brake cylinder, gearshift cable, the driver's side door handle, a fog light, and had to have work done on a misfiring cylinder. It creaks every time I make a left turn (bad sway bar links I'm told) and howls in the cold. The cloth is peeling off every interior door. One of the seats in the back won't go down (first time I tried!) I'm really let down because I really loved the Tribute (over the Escape) and REALLY wanted this car and to keep it 10 years but I don't think it's going to make it. When it does work though, it works very well.

Exterior styling, great gas mileage, the 6 disc cd changer & premium sound, V6 Engine, roomy cabin space

Decrease the road noise inside the cabin, bigger gas tank, better glue on your cloth!

Mine was rolled and I walked away!
By Heather Jones

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my Mazda, I had it for 6 months, it was rolled in an accident and we all were in one piece! We walked away the Mazda wasn't drivable but it was also in one piece. They are very well made cars and I would definitely recommend one to someone I care about! I just need a new one!

I loved everything about this car! It looks cool and drives awesome!!

Gas mileage

6 Years Later
By Carl

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Mazda Navajo Owner for 10 years - best vehicle ever; purchased Tribute and was satisfied with vehicle until the warranty ran out. Immediately thereafter, vehicle falling apart. Computer failed and stranded me 300 miles from home; cruise control not working, instrument panel not working,airbag sensor faulty, many electrical problems; power door locks failed and replaced; power window switches failed/replaced; fluid leaks that mechanics cannot locate, brake dust is horrible on wheels. Every week a new problem develops on this vehicle. Very disappointed -- the Mazda Tribute fails in comparison to my previous Navajo which went 150,000 miles no problems. The Tribute fell apart at 70,000 miles.

Moonroof, cd player, folding back seat, carries a lot of cargo, exterior style,

Mazda Tribute is really a Ford Escape. Improve workmanship and mechanical reliability so the vehicle is more dependable. Improve brake system, on board computer, sensor modules, upgrade power lock and window parts.