2002 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
2002 Tribute
By Chubart on 04/26/08 07:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The main problem I've had with this car are the trouble lights. It has been in two accidents and they've never quite fixed the wiring.

Tess's view
By tess on 01/17/08 13:02 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent! Room for two car seats. Only small SUV with 1. leather (easier to wipe off children's mess) 2. sky/sun/moon roof (after a convertable, I really needed to see the sky! it makes watching out door events fun for the kids who like to stand up to see what's going on--& no, the car isn't moving; 3. roomier than the jeep or ford, 4. interior is better looking than the jeep or ford 5. handled a top rack and a bicyle rack, 6.options for the Tribute offer more of what I wanted than either the honda, ford, or jeep. The instrument panel in the jeep is highlighted and better for visual acuity. Over all, I'd buy another one, lots of fun and easy to take care of.

Problems Starting Vehicle
By Stranded & Mad on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle won't start. It takes about 4 tries before the car finally starts. This has happened countless times. The service person can't find the problem. Previously had the stalling problem twice. Had the door molding start coming down. Headlight has condensation in it. Hear squeking noise on the passenger door panel. Accelerator gets stuck & suddenly accelerates. To much brake dust.

I love my Tribute!!
By piazzafan on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tribute. I've owned it for over a year and have had no problems at all. It is a lot of fun to drive and looks great too. I also liked it better than the Ford Escape (the Escape has rubber on lower body instead of being painted). It has great power and brakes and tight steering. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

Only 3 flaws
By webjock on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fun, like a car. Not as peppy as it seems, but still a potent 200 hp. Sits high off the ground with no fear of rollover. Corners and steers well, lots of hand grips throughout the cabin for rough terrain. 3 flaws: 1-Move shifter to floor--too easy to knock the 'Bute out of gear reaching for the radio. 2- Interior molding comes loose easily. 3- At highway speed, we had sudden power failure...no steering / brakes...engine died...scary! Mazda says most 'Butes do this, yet there's been no recall! Unacceptable! Nonetheless a satisfying ride. Worth a close look in the small to mid-sized SUV class.

I love it
By Joe A. on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Advertised mileage is 19/25, I've been consistently getting 21/26 and even 27 on the highway if I keep it at around 70. It's quick, and handles well. Easily tows my 20 foot bayliner boat.

Review of a Mazda lover
By Reetz on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Tribute in March of 2002. It's fun to drive and is very reliable. It handles every kind of road condition and even stops straight on icy roads. The things I would improve would be the front passenger's seat belt. It locks up too easily. Also, the interior quality could be better. The molding on the inside of the doors keeps coming loose. Then again, there is no perfect car in my opinion.

Whining
By db4180 on 02/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Everything is great except for a whining noise @35-40 mph. Then it disappears. Any comments would be appreciated.

Very satisfied after 1st year
By AllieB on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really have liked my Mazda Tribute. I went for all the bells and whistles and glad it did. The exterior design is fabulous, and the interior is very functional with lots of room for 4-5 people. The vehicle size is perfect for anyone who wants an SUV with power, but doesn't want those huge Suburban- type cars. Rides smoothly like a car. At 9,000 miles my car stalled at 40 mph, but I had it serviced and they have reprogrammed my onboard computer due to a communication issue with a celltower. I have had no further problems with the vehicle. Customer service at the dealership has been great.

The potential is there...
By Hopeful in FL on 10/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I fell in love with the design and drive of this vehicle from the first time I saw it and had to have one. You get a lot of features for the relatively low price tag. However, 6 months after we bought, my Tribute, too, stalled on me--in the center lane of the interstate at 60 mph during rush hour. Luckily it started right back up after I got to the shoulder and turned it off. The dealer was great; found the problem right away and fixed it. Mazda is aware of the faulty computer chip (which my dealer reset) and I, too, can't believe they haven't issued a recall. The potential to love this vehicle is definitely there, but I am still skeptical...