2001 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
power window and door locks fail
By 1961barbie on 09/20/14 12:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

2011 cd player malfunctioned trapping my fav cd forever. cant play it, cant get it back out. 2011 the bolt holding the rear window on rusted thru and if you open it you need to lift while closing it to line it up manually. 2012 bright/dim switch stopped working. 2012 shifter cable broke. 2013 transmission went out 2013 drivers door power window off track 2014 power door lock malfunction resulting in drivers door and driver side back door will not open, and front passenger door only opens from the outside. 2014 drivers door window off the track again. but... drives smooth, good mileage and good on tires.

Great SUV!
By juguru on 07/23/13 05:21 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Mazda Tribute ES V6 4x4 in October 2000. This has been a great car. I recently had a tune-up at 229,000 miles and the mechanic couldn't believe it was in such great shape for being almost 13 years old. She looks and runs like the day I bought it! I'm sure the fact I live in Charleston, SC helped keep it looking so nice - no snow! The only problem I had with it was the pleather inserts on the door panels failed about 2 years ago, but I was able to fix them myself... A very good and dependable vehicle and a lot of fun to drive. My sister needed a new car so I just drove it to Upstate NY to give to her. Still running great on long trips. I will miss driving it!!!

Love my Tribute
By bevhath on 05/01/11 02:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this 2001 for little over 2 yrs now, over 105K miles. ONLY problem I've had is running rough when you first start it and occassionally rough "surges" at stop lights/signs. Any idea what that can be? Fun to drive, radio not very good, was hoping for a little better gas milage - gets around 18 around town & 24-25 long haul driving (interstates, etc). Looking for another in addition to this one now!

Awesome...but....
By andrewcaudillo on 03/30/11 00:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Mazda, I really do. But after 10 years of babying, I feel that it should fare better than it is. We bought it brand new in late 2000. It looked incredible then, and it still does. However, there are a few issues: 1) (minor) the fabric panelling on the doors is falling off. ($20 fix) 2) (minor) The headlights are all fogged up ($15 fix) 3) (major) The PLASTIC intake manifold gasket has gone bad ($1000 fix) Would I buy another one? Mmm...probably not. I'm driving a 2001 Toyota Camry LE (4 cyl) while the Mazda's in the shop, and though it doesn't look as good, drive as well, or sound as awesome, it hasn't given my grandparents a single issue... I'll buy a VW or Toyota next time

Great value
By dannybmx on 02/28/11 06:48 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Tribute used when it had only 25,000 miles on it. It now has 228,000 miles. The engine has been great. The weak spot has been the automatic transmission. I have had the transmission rebuilt twice. However the first time the shop did not do a good job so a second time was needed. This has been such a great car for my small family. The inside is really nice a rommy allowing us to pack gear and even a 50cc motorcycle into it. I have used it to tow a motorcycle trailer without problems.

Fun to drive (with lots of repairs)
By gam4 on 01/28/11 07:47 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Everything that I have read that can go wrong with this particular model, has gone wrong with mine. EGR valve, intake manifold gaskets tie-rods, cad. converter, door ashtray falls out, doors stick, etc...Just put a grand into it at 153K. It runs great now, and I do still love to drive it, but with gas prices going up, and the 15MPG it actually gets, I am looking for something more economical!

Administering CPR
By maxbassmedia on 05/27/10 12:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle new in Oct 2000. Been extremely reliable. Had a problem w/sunroof years ago, and opted not to get it fixed. Now on my 4th set of tires, and just turned 253,00 miles. Been aiming to get 300K out of it. Just had first major problem, transmission started slipping :( Going to put a couple of grand in to keep it going, rather than get another car AND car payment. Hope the gamble pays off.

Loved my tribute!!I
By nat on 02/02/10 15:14 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had my lovely car for close to 10 years when a truck backed into it and smashed the radiator and grill :-( still arguing with insurance. It had 150,000 miles on it and ran like a dream-- mechanics all said (both dealer & private) that it had many more miles on it. I had to get a new transmission at 147,000 miles other than that just the regular wear-- oil change and brakes. I am negotiating with insurance but I WANT MY CAR BACK!! I love my tribute and I'm sure it has many more years left in it.

Saltz's 2 Tributes
By Moi on 01/29/10 17:54 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle brand new. I have read reviews about problems. The only thing I can say about that is it must have not been taken care of properly. My suv went in for all the maintenance when needed. Because of this I purchased a 2010.

Very fun SUV! Over 200,000!
By Kondo157 on 01/16/10 12:06 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 tribute used from a friend with a little under 150,000 miles on it. He was short on cash and needed to get rid of it. So far this car has been nothing but reliable, had a small malfunction with a transmission plug but once this was corrected the car runs like new. Very much power for such a small SUV. Very good modern look to it as well.