Used 2001 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

You get more than you pay for
By Brian

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Tribute almost one year ago for under $12K with 55K miles on it. It is not perfect. Wind noise is bad on the highway and the shifter is annoying, but everyone is amazed when I tell them what I paid. It has a superb engine and transmission, handles great (better than my old Saturn coupe), and looks good. It is not a luxury vehicle, but it is a great car. I have not had any of the problems listed below like the door leather peeling. I was a little worried by all the Ford parts. I would prefer Mazda to build it on their own, but people looking for relatively cheap SUVs with awesome performance can't be too picky. If you get it at a good price, buying the Tribute is a no brainer.

Favorite Features

Engine, transmission, handling, cd changer.

Suggested Improvements

Move shifter (done on later models), decrease wind noise, add lumbar support.

Best SUV I've Had
By Alex

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had it for about 2 years now and I have just hit 100,000 miles and it still runs great. I have only had to replace a few things like the air conditioning compressor and i just got new brakes put on it today which reasonable for a car that has gone that far. I also had the brake booster replaced right away and i have not had any problems since that. I love this SUV soooo much that I had the cloth seats taken out, and I bought custom perforated real leather seats and i also had a sunroof installed. Both from Classic Soft Trim.

Favorite Features

Great power and ride. Love everything about it.

Administering CPR
By maxbassmedia

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle new in Oct 2000. Been extremely reliable. Had a problem w/sunroof years ago, and opted not to get it fixed. Now on my 4th set of tires, and just turned 253,00 miles. Been aiming to get 300K out of it. Just had first major problem, transmission started slipping :( Going to put a couple of grand in to keep it going, rather than get another car AND car payment. Hope the gamble pays off.

Love my Tribute
By bevhath

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this 2001 for little over 2 yrs now, over 105K miles. ONLY problem I've had is running rough when you first start it and occassionally rough "surges" at stop lights/signs. Any idea what that can be? Fun to drive, radio not very good, was hoping for a little better gas milage - gets around 18 around town & 24-25 long haul driving (interstates, etc). Looking for another in addition to this one now!

Favorite Features

Great pick up (acceleration), fun to drive, easy to get in/out, sporty looking

power window and door locks fail
By 1961barbie

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

2011 cd player malfunctioned trapping my fav cd forever. cant play it, cant get it back out. 2011 the bolt holding the rear window on rusted thru and if you open it you need to lift while closing it to line it up manually. 2012 bright/dim switch stopped working. 2012 shifter cable broke. 2013 transmission went out 2013 drivers door power window off track 2014 power door lock malfunction resulting in drivers door and driver side back door will not open, and front passenger door only opens from the outside. 2014 drivers door window off the track again. but... drives smooth, good mileage and good on tires.

Favorite Features

favorite feature is gas mileage air works great. love the moon roof. roomy interior, will hold more than you think it will, like if you want to move a desk or table. seats lean forward.

Suggested Improvements

seriously redesign the electrical system. a bit more life and power to the tranny would be a huge plus. and the center box, between the front seats should be lower. it's in the way, but nice to have the extra storage, just make it shorter.