Used 2001 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mazda Tribute

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

tributes are terrible
By Gary Moore

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Here is a car that after 96,000 miles (50,000 of which were highway), now requires a valve compression job ($2100) in addition to spark plug and coil replacements ($750). To me that is unacceptable and has convinced me along with the other problems we've had (several times for the emissions light, stalling while simply driving down the road) NEVER to buy another Mazda product again.

Favorite Features

I honestly can think of no favorite features this car has.

Suggested Improvements

Build a better car

Why I Like my Mazda Tribute
By Phil Henderson

2001 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I researched all SUV's in this category and bought the Tribute based on specific criteria. I wanted a front wheel drive (traction in snow), not 4WD (maintenance risk and mileage), head room (I'm only 6' tall and if I pitched forward in an accident in the Sante Fe, it would have hit the ceiling - Tribute has lots of room), 6 cyl, rear gate opens up, carry 4x8 sheet of plywood through the rear window, carry 8 ft 2x4 inside with the doors closed, internal storage of spare tire, fits in the garage, styling interior and exterior, elevated rear seats, visibility for the driver, and excellent driving feel.

Favorite Features

Head room, cargo room, dash board, overall appearance

Suggested Improvements

Reduce road noise

I love my Mazda Tribute
By Dianne Leonetti

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have had the Tribute for almost 4 years. I love its size, not huge like the others, so can justify daily use and gas usage, but large enough to haul a complete heating and air conditioning system up to Buffalo from Atlanta for installation in my son's newly purchased home! No problem fitting it all in. Buy one.

Favorite Features

Size is just right.

Suggested Improvements

Move drive/reverse/neutral stick up on column out of way of radio dials. That's all! Need arm rests on left and right of driver's seat for long distance driving

a lot of trouble
By Pat Doke

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have had a lot of trouble with our Tribute. Currently, with 50K on it, I have at least one major repair every 3000 miles. That's more often than an oil change. You name it - power steering, engine idle, stalling, brakes, windshield wipers, tire wear, door handles ($200 each installed) and now a complete wiring harness replacement. The worst vehicle I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Not the audio system.

Suggested Improvements

Discontinue it.

as good as it gets
By bonyeller

2001 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a pretty decent purchase, just wished I had gotten cruise control. I didn't want to pay the extra costs of just adding cruise control as an option. The vehicle has al ot of pep and passing power, not too bad on towing either. I would recommend this "baby SUV" to anyone, just make sure you have cruise control.

Favorite Features

16" alloy wheels

Suggested Improvements

Different areas on the radio controls, standard cruise control