2001 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Perfect for me!
By peachofalady on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've driven my Tribute from the Southeastern US to West Texas several times - no problems, ever.

Fun to drive
By domek69 on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This “compact” SUV is not so compact after all. I’ve been driving the Tribute for over 2 years now without any major problems. It is roomy. The 6- cylinder engine has a fantastic acceleration if you compare it to similar cars from other manufacturers.

V6 tows great
By ddeemo on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Owned a LX V6 4WD for over 2 years and now have almost 35,000 miles. It gets decent gas milage for a SUV with so much power. Tows very strongly, towed car and equipment on trailer 3000 miles cross country with no problem. Able to pass many cars up hills that could not go faster, while pulling about 3500# trailer load with little effort. Reliability concerns initially with a leaking brake master cylinder, security key error and a few minor problems fixed under waranty. It has been reliable last 25000 miles and has not left me stranded ever like my friends BMW X5 has 3x.

Front Brake sucks
By Khi Dot on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Front brake wears at 37K and need to replace brake pad at dealer cost $189.00. Turned out the rotors fail too, and need to replace rotors at the cost of $400.00. Rear struts fail too at 30K and need to wait for about 2 months for the parts in.

Roomy and Dependable
By daigt on 12/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Tribute lx v6. unbelieveably roomy for a "small" suv. the v6 is very powerful and peppy! I have owned it for over 2 years and it has given me practically no problems to speak of. The best vehicle in its class by far!

Not built for the long haul....
By Pitt Fan on 12/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle, but I'm starting to think it isn't built for the long haul. I recently had the dealership perform a transmission adjustment to eliminate an occasional "rumble strip" noise that would randomly occur in the 40-50 MPH range. They said they're getting about 4-5 of these problems per month! I've also noticed the mileage is getting worse. I was getting about 20mpg with combined city/highway. Now I'm down to about 17, which STINKS.

Looks can be decieving
By nocode on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Looks great but it's been in the shop more times than I can count. From the rear wipers, moon roof switch, air bag, seat belt, molding, visor, oxygen sensor, door jams, windshield and rear glass moldings, headlight leakage... the list goes on and on. While it's a beauty to look at and even fun to drive this Tribute has been a royal pain. STEER AWAY!

It DOES have the soul of a sports car
By Sports Car Addict on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have always had a sports car in my garage for the past 40 years, from MGs, TRs,V-12 E-Type Jags, Morgan +8 to the latest RX-7. When I needed an SUV I drove nearly all of them, but the Tribute is the only one I think is really FUN to drive plus high quality fit and finish. By the way, I'm 6' 7" tall and very comfortable in the Tribute...more than I can say for the sports cars!

Worth the Money
By bassman99 on 11/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is an excellent car in most respects. It has been extrememly fun to drive, handles well in the snow and ice, and is a relatively comfortable ride. I have also been very impressed with its towing capability. I've towed everything from an 18 foot boat to a relatively large U-Haul. In my estimation, it rode better with a towed load than the Ford Explorer (XLT) that I traded in. I usually don't go for the first year models (having been burned once before), but this turned out to be a good move. I will get another after I've run this one into the ground.

No Complaints
By M J Boyer on 11/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my spouses vehicle...and she truly enjoys owning and driving it. The sun-roof feature allows great outdoors enjoyment, and the tightness and overall appearance both inside and out have brought her many favorable comments from co-workers and friends. We're older individuals, and I would certainly recommend to anyone past 50 to consider this vehicle...the 200HP performance is terrific.