Used 2001 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Overall great small SUV, minor issues
By HCP

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I currently have 55K miles on my Tribute and have had no issues with it. There was a factory recall on a computer chip, and a seatbelt which was replaced at no charge, and the dealership gave me a nice loaner while it was fixed. I love the design, and it handles great in snow, mud and slush. I travel gravel roads daily and it is quite comfortable. I average ~17 mpg, which is my only complaint. The paint has held up quite well, and have not problems with molding, etc. The leather has also proved quite durable. The 4WD has performed beautifully in varied terrain. I would definitely purchase another.

Reliability, road performance, handling. Tough, but a nice-looking SUV.

Switch from column to console shifter. Currently blocks radio controls. Add ignition light. Wouldn't mind a few more mpg - not quite as advertised.

"I Love My MADZA TRIBUTE!"
By Madza Tribute

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV DX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The day I gave this black SUV a trial run I had to buy it. It was the first one sold in Contra Costa County. Every where I went people asked me what kind of SUV it was ... I still get compliments on it. It has been the true "ZOOM ZOOM" that they advertised. It pulls my Sea-Doo with no effort. The 4-wheel drive is easy to use and works great up in the snow. The ONLY thing that was negative is that they put the shift control on the steering wheel instead of on the floor; sometimes when you change the volume on the radio you accidentally hit the steering shifter. I think they have remedied this on newer models. I love this SUV!

I love the tight steering and the sport car feel. This SUV is a screamer. And the sunroof is fun too.

They put the shifter on the steering column and it interferes with the radio; but you get used to it.

great suv
By phil

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Smooth Running, never had a problem, great gas mileage. wonderful suv to own

the gas mileage

none

lots of car with a nice price tag!
By sdz4747

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love driving the car, SUV look but handles like a car. Great get up & go! My husband is looking at buying a Porche Cayenne & still says my car drives great compared to it. Have had only minor problems with the car... tape player has never worked right, was under warranty but didn't get it fixed, never used it so always forgot! Cable on drive gear broke ($200) & now my driver's side door handle is broke.

great acceleration! Back seats lie completely flat, great! Roomy interior, very sporty look!

gear shift moved from steering wheel to console, ajustable headrests on front seats... have been changed on newer models. Lots of wind noise on the h-way.

Good Looking SUV with some quirks
By TheGrip

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Owned this beauty over 4 years. Love the peppy engine and inside comfort. No major expenses except for new oil pan recently installed due to the nut stripping the aluminum housing. Expected much better gas mileage. Average 16-17MPG. Also wish it had a larger gas tank. Hard to find the ignition key hole at night. Developed a annoying noise in the rear hatch. With all that at 85,000 miles still happy with it.

Body style, solid engine and inside comfort.

Better gas mileage, lighted ignition key hole, reduce inside noise from rear hatch.