Used 2001 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Most Helpful|
I've had my Tribute for 6 years now
By Meredith

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I came on here looking for how long Tribute's last for but I can't find anyone with higher miles than mine. I currently have 124,000 miles and yes, I've been needing to replace a few things, but they all seem like normal wear and tear. However, I'm a little worried because of the high miles and can't afford costly repairs, but I LOVE my car. I've been pricing used ones, haha, yes I am thinking about getting another one. It's due for a tie-rod replacement and I need to have the spark plugs replaced, which will all hopefully be done this weekend. Also, my ash/trash tray thing on the backseat driver's side door has fallen out, for no reason, but otherwise, cosmetically, it's doing well.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, premium sound, room, overall look - it still doesn't look dated.

Suggested Improvements

Of course, move the handle away from the stereo, which I think they've since improved upon, more storage space up front

Get what you pay for
By pegness

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is basically very good- nothing has happened in the past 2+ years. Transmission worries me, it seems to shift endlessly in rural driving. Very basic interior, but it is a cheaper SUV. Gas mileage is not what we thought-seems everyone has that opinion. Not wanting to spend 30K, it has been a good purchase. Next one, though, will be of superior quality.

Favorite Features

Exterior look

Suggested Improvements

Shifter on floor Improved heat/cool control

Hate it
By Reasy

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car after my cr-v was totaled in an accident (not at fault) and couldn't find another used cr-v. Within three months I had over $3000 in major engine repairs and it just keeps getting worse. Gas mileage has really gone down and the car is so loud and rough to drive... bumpy MI roads don't help, but I get a headache sometimes during my commute. This car has been nothing but trouble for me. Door handles stick really bad, have to really pull to get the doors open. With the cheap feel I'm worried they are just going to break right off. They probably will now that I wrote that. Leather seats are very cheap feeling.

Favorite Features

It's roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Consistency maybe? There seem to be some pleased owners, but I am definitely not one of them.

tributes are terrible
By Gary Moore

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Here is a car that after 96,000 miles (50,000 of which were highway), now requires a valve compression job ($2100) in addition to spark plug and coil replacements ($750). To me that is unacceptable and has convinced me along with the other problems we've had (several times for the emissions light, stalling while simply driving down the road) NEVER to buy another Mazda product again.

Favorite Features

I honestly can think of no favorite features this car has.

Suggested Improvements

Build a better car

What a lemon
By Dewey

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had one of these, and have put several hundred dollars a year into it since it was about 2 years old. It's had at least three recalls. One of them caused all the power to shut off as I was driving down a hill; could barely work the power steering to get pull it off the main road. Struts have burst, things are leaking and broken that should not be. Am getting rid of is ASAP.

Favorite Features

Roomy, leather match seats

Suggested Improvements

Everything; I think they did improve many things about this car in subsequent years; 2001 was the first year.