Used 2001 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

I've had my Tribute for 6 years now
By Meredith

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I came on here looking for how long Tribute's last for but I can't find anyone with higher miles than mine. I currently have 124,000 miles and yes, I've been needing to replace a few things, but they all seem like normal wear and tear. However, I'm a little worried because of the high miles and can't afford costly repairs, but I LOVE my car. I've been pricing used ones, haha, yes I am thinking about getting another one. It's due for a tie-rod replacement and I need to have the spark plugs replaced, which will all hopefully be done this weekend. Also, my ash/trash tray thing on the backseat driver's side door has fallen out, for no reason, but otherwise, cosmetically, it's doing well.

Leather seats, premium sound, room, overall look - it still doesn't look dated.

Of course, move the handle away from the stereo, which I think they've since improved upon, more storage space up front

2001 Mazda Tribute Rock On!!
By Flameworker

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this 2001 Mazda Tribute since it was new, and we have never had any problems with it. Only once when it was new, it shut off by itself on the highway, but this was soon resolved. It was a recall situation that got cleared up quickly for us. After that little incident it has always been smooth sailing with this vehicle. Great car based SUV! This vehicle is powerful, fun to drive, and very very very reliable.

Power, styling, and reliability.

There was a little road noise with this vehicle. Seats could be a little more comfortable. Headlights go bad quickly. They can condensate, fog up from the inside, and the plastic lens covers weathers fairly quickly.

Hate it
By Reasy

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car after my cr-v was totaled in an accident (not at fault) and couldn't find another used cr-v. Within three months I had over $3000 in major engine repairs and it just keeps getting worse. Gas mileage has really gone down and the car is so loud and rough to drive... bumpy MI roads don't help, but I get a headache sometimes during my commute. This car has been nothing but trouble for me. Door handles stick really bad, have to really pull to get the doors open. With the cheap feel I'm worried they are just going to break right off. They probably will now that I wrote that. Leather seats are very cheap feeling.

It's roomy.

Consistency maybe? There seem to be some pleased owners, but I am definitely not one of them.

Very Reliable
By Drivinthegirls

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am getting ready to trade my Tribute in. It was my mom's before it was mine. She bought it brand new. She nor I have had any problems with the Tribute. The only thing that I would say is bad is the gas mileage. It's a beautiful car. I like it MUCH better than the CX-7. I test drove a CX-7 and the interior was so cramped and remined me of a boxy volvo. The Tribute is awesome. It has been reliable now for 7 years. It has 135,000 miles on it now and still going strong.

Exterior design and comfortable seats

Love my Tribute
By Morgan Lover

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle when it was one year old and had 7,000 miles in it. It now has 63,000. It has provided an excellent, FUN driving experience. No problems and it still drives like it did the first day. This is the first car I have owned that wasn't a sports car so I do "drive" and the Tribute is a blast. Stll have the original Michelins on her!!! I change the oil and filter every 3,500 miles, rotate the tires every other oil change, do the other maintenance by the book, and NO problems yet, not even when it was under warranty. I get 18 mpg in the city, up to 22 on the Interstate depending on velocity. Thinking of trading...but why should I?

Sporty handling. Roomy (I'm 6' 7" tall). Versatility of fold down seats for a flat floor.

If only the gas mileage was a little better.