2001 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Do I have a lemon?
By Kaycee on 01/14/06 12:26 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is rough, loud, & too many things have broken that normally never break; leather(?) door panels peeled off in garage kept car. Cruise control off & hissing noise when accelerator is used.

Very Disappointing
By Disgruntled on 01/04/06 05:18 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Too many things go wrong. Within one year, had to replace windshield wipers, ashtray, and passenger door handle. Had a stall while driving @ 45 MPH due to failed powertrain, crashed into a fence. Loud wind noise from passenger back door. Rear windshield wiper keeps falling off. Door panel leather peeling off. Headliner cardboard coming off in trunk of car. Loud noise and rumbling when going in or out of overdrive. Random check engine lights go on and off all the time. Save your money and buy something better.

My Mazda
By sexyblkgyrl1981 on 01/03/06 09:38 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tribute and would not give it up for anything.

2001 Mazda Tribute is a Great Vehicle
By Eva on 08/20/05 23:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute DX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2001 Mazda Tribute in 2000. I have driven over 75,000 miles. This is a great vehicle. I have had no major problems with this vehicle. The only two problems I experienced was a broken door handle (inside) in about year three and about three months ago an EGR valve had to be replaced. The door handle cost was $75 dollars and the EGR valve $120. These are the only expenses I have had with my vehicle as far as repairs. This is a great everyday vehicle. It's roomy, the steering is excellent, it runs great and stops on a dime. I'm going into my fifth year driving this vehicle and I plan to drive it five more. My Tribute is well worth the $16,700 I paid for it back in 2000.

Overall great small SUV, minor issues
By HCP on 08/07/05 17:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I currently have 55K miles on my Tribute and have had no issues with it. There was a factory recall on a computer chip, and a seatbelt which was replaced at no charge, and the dealership gave me a nice loaner while it was fixed. I love the design, and it handles great in snow, mud and slush. I travel gravel roads daily and it is quite comfortable. I average ~17 mpg, which is my only complaint. The paint has held up quite well, and have not problems with molding, etc. The leather has also proved quite durable. The 4WD has performed beautifully in varied terrain. I would definitely purchase another.

"I Love My MADZA TRIBUTE!"
By Madza Tribute on 08/03/05 01:41 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute DX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The day I gave this black SUV a trial run I had to buy it. It was the first one sold in Contra Costa County. Every where I went people asked me what kind of SUV it was ... I still get compliments on it. It has been the true "ZOOM ZOOM" that they advertised. It pulls my Sea-Doo with no effort. The 4-wheel drive is easy to use and works great up in the snow. The ONLY thing that was negative is that they put the shift control on the steering wheel instead of on the floor; sometimes when you change the volume on the radio you accidentally hit the steering shifter. I think they have remedied this on newer models. I love this SUV!

great suv
By phil on 07/28/05 08:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Smooth Running, never had a problem, great gas mileage. wonderful suv to own

lots of car with a nice price tag!
By sdz4747 on 07/12/05 15:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love driving the car, SUV look but handles like a car. Great get up & go! My husband is looking at buying a Porche Cayenne & still says my car drives great compared to it. Have had only minor problems with the car... tape player has never worked right, was under warranty but didn't get it fixed, never used it so always forgot! Cable on drive gear broke ($200) & now my driver's side door handle is broke.

Good Looking SUV with some quirks
By TheGrip on 07/06/05 21:17 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Owned this beauty over 4 years. Love the peppy engine and inside comfort. No major expenses except for new oil pan recently installed due to the nut stripping the aluminum housing. Expected much better gas mileage. Average 16-17MPG. Also wish it had a larger gas tank. Hard to find the ignition key hole at night. Developed a annoying noise in the rear hatch. With all that at 85,000 miles still happy with it.

tributes are terrible
By Gary Moore on 06/20/05 17:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Here is a car that after 96,000 miles (50,000 of which were highway), now requires a valve compression job ($2100) in addition to spark plug and coil replacements ($750). To me that is unacceptable and has convinced me along with the other problems we've had (several times for the emissions light, stalling while simply driving down the road) NEVER to buy another Mazda product again.