2001 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
What a lemon
By Dewey on 06/30/07 08:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had one of these, and have put several hundred dollars a year into it since it was about 2 years old. It's had at least three recalls. One of them caused all the power to shut off as I was driving down a hill; could barely work the power steering to get pull it off the main road. Struts have burst, things are leaking and broken that should not be. Am getting rid of is ASAP.

I still love my 2001 Tribute
By Cary on 05/01/07 19:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've been meaning to submit a report since 2001... I love this car. It has enough power to merge and pass safely on the highway, enough cargo space to haul a garden's worth of plants & mulch with the option of opening just the back window for extra-long items, the seats are comfortable on 8 hour drives and I still feel happy when I see its graceful profile in the parking lot, especially next to bigger, clunkier SUVs. I bought it new, and put over 120,000 miles on it. It still feels like my "new" car. Unfortunately, it crashed last week (no fault of the Tribute), so here I am, looking for another just like it. That says it all: would I buy it again? Yes!

Excellent value for a safe ride
By NPR on 03/06/07 16:39 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for 9 months and have had no problems. I have really enjoyed the 4wd capability this winter because of the terrible weather.

I've owned it 5 years
By Gary on 01/31/07 12:39 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Tribute is great. Very fun to drive. Very peppy and MPG is not bad for SUV. Very stylish and comfy. Great heater! Road/wind noise is a little much but the vehicle is well insulated. Tows very well and cargo room is great. Better than a pick-up with rear seats folded down. Premium sound is great and convenience of power mirrors, seat,windows, moon roof, etc. is very nice.

Even better than I imagined
By da on 01/04/07 13:05 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I needed a family car as we were expecting our first child. This was particularly traumatic for me as I had to trade in my beloved Eclipse, but this car has it all. It performs excellent with quick acceleration in the city and an oh so smooth ride. I'm converted to SUV-dom and Mazdas. We change the oil and it does the rest. It is worry free, has that sporty look I love, has the room my wife loves, the safety for my daughter, and my family and co-workers are instantly impressed once they get inside and go for a ride. It pulls trailers just fine and does all I ask it to do. The only reason it's not a perfect car is the mpg, but I knew what I was getting into. Two years of happiness!

A pretty good SUV
By dan18932 on 09/29/06 12:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Tribute for 1 year now. I bought it used from the original owner. It has gone through all of the recalls and I thought it was fine, until the transmission went out at 47000 miles. It had burned up one day while I was driving home from work. The original warranty had expired because it was a 2001. I took it into the dealer and they said I needed a new one which would cost $3000 dollars. I told them I never heard of a car's tranny going out so soon. After fighting with Mazda they agreed to pay half and the dealer I took it to paid some so it only cost me $1,000 dollars. I do not think I would ever buy one again though it drives nicely and has pretty good performance. My mpg is 19.

Recommended
By Roman on 08/29/06 13:19 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Pleasure to own. Versatile, high clearance, performs well in stop-n-go and light on its wheels on the highway. Reliable (Japanese design). Good looks. Comfortable with the power seat (big deal for me since my wife is 5'2" and has trouble with driver's seat ergonomics). Side airbags. Lots of room.

Mazda Tribute Lemon
By Tim on 03/20/06 12:45 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After buying this I had to take it back the next day for a leak on the transmission. They had to replace the rear seal and plug. Since then I have had the brakes, battery, brake booster, window controls, cruise control, gas tank, gas cap replaced (along with a few other items). Now the transmission went out, wonder if it is related to the original leak. $3300 for a transmission, what a rip off. Please do not buy one, or any Mazda. Service here is not the best either.

Great SUV
By Roth on 03/02/06 14:31 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tribute for 1 year and its been everything I'd hoped for in the 30k miles I've put on it so far. It's big enough to haul almost anything I need to move, it drives and handles great in any condition, including sand and deep snow, it even does great when pulling a trailer. There are a couple minor problems; wind noise is louder than it should be, and the Ford built automatic transmission shutters if you don't frequently flush the tranny fluid. Gas mileage tops out near 20 even on the highway The gear shift selector blocks the radio controls, but you get used to that. Overall, its a great little SUV for the money.

You get more than you pay for
By Brian on 01/30/06 13:22 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Tribute almost one year ago for under $12K with 55K miles on it. It is not perfect. Wind noise is bad on the highway and the shifter is annoying, but everyone is amazed when I tell them what I paid. It has a superb engine and transmission, handles great (better than my old Saturn coupe), and looks good. It is not a luxury vehicle, but it is a great car. I have not had any of the problems listed below like the door leather peeling. I was a little worried by all the Ford parts. I would prefer Mazda to build it on their own, but people looking for relatively cheap SUVs with awesome performance can't be too picky. If you get it at a good price, buying the Tribute is a no brainer.