2001 Mazda Tribute DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2001 Tribute Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Sort Reviews by

No Complaints
By M J Boyer

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my spouses vehicle...and she truly enjoys owning and driving it. The sun-roof feature allows great outdoors enjoyment, and the tightness and overall appearance both inside and out have brought her many favorable comments from co-workers and friends. We're older individuals, and I would certainly recommend to anyone past 50 to consider this vehicle...the 200HP performance is terrific.

Favorite Features

6 CD player and stereo system...

Suggested Improvements

Gear selector on the automatic tranny needs to be shortened...conflicts with the access to the stereo.

Zoom Zoom Zoom
By Roxanne

2001 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The only part of the design I do not like is the shift -- hard to see dials on the dashboard--a stick shift would have been better.

Favorite Features

Comfort, appearance, spunk

Suggested Improvements

same as above--change the shift to stick

Ruby
By das0421

2001 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car and plan to buy another one as my next car. Great buy for the features and my particular dealer offers exceptional service.

Favorite Features

price for value and styling is superior to Ford Escape.

Thinking of buying another one
By lovemytribute

2001 Mazda Tribute DX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Tribute last year. I checked out other SUVs and none compared to the Tribute. The Tribute had a lot more standard features along with better horsepower, looks, and space. It was too good to pass up! I traded in my MX-3 for the Tribute and still have lots of fun driving. We've had this car for 1.5 years now and have put on 25,400 miles on it. We haven't had any problems with our Tribute. We're thinking of getting a second Tribute. It has excellent pick up too, I often pass other cars at intersections without any extra pressure on the gas pedal!

Favorite Features

Acceleration, comfortable seats, great cargo space, nice stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Noise level at high speeds.

Fun Zoom Zoom
By Doubear

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is amazing how much power can be produced out of such a relatively small engine. I'm an old gearhead and we thought we were doing well at 1 horsepower per cubic inch. This engine is far above that and gets fair gas milage as well. Bravo to the Ford or combination of engineers that designed this engine and automobile. My only complaint is interior road noise is too high

Thinking of buying another one
By LoveMyTribute

2001 Mazda Tribute DX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Favorite Features

Acceleration, comfortable seats, great cargo space, nice stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Noise level at high speeds.

My last Mazda...ever
By racetech

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It has been the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned!! The wiper linkage broke in a snow storm, there was a gas leak and the worst thing is the thing just dies. The dealer had no clue what the problem was and said it was just one of those things that happens once and would never happen again. well, it died 4 times while I was driving it. I took it to another dealer who at least tried to fix it by replacing the computer. I thought the problem was fixed, but 2 weeks later, it died on me again. We traded in right after that, and that will by my last Mazda ever!!!

Favorite Features

Pretty good acceleration, looks nice.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the stalling problem before somebody gets killed.

I love it and I am not getting rid of it
By Kimmy

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 LX 4WD and I love it! I had to special order it to get what I wanted and it took 2 months to get, but I am so happy with it! I traded in my 2 yr old Mustang and haven't looked back since! The V6 has the pick-up that I love and was used to from my car and it drives very much like a car. It is extremely easy to handle and makes Atlanta traffic a breeze! My boyfriend has a Honda EX CR-V but he prefers to drive my car because as he said, "It actually goes when you push the gas peddle." No regrets here!

Favorite Features

The easy pick-up speed, smoothness of ride, very comfortable seats, versatility of the seats, and all of the room!

Suggested Improvements

Move the gear shift, it gets in the way, but it is minor. Put an interior light in the front and have power seats on the LX models (which I understand they already changed for 2002).

New Engine
By Peppy

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

So far in the year I have had my Tribute, I have had to have the ceiling liner replaced, an overhead light replaced, a shock replaced, Tires (at my own expense, firestone doesn't honor their tire warranties), and now it is in the shop for a NEW ENGINE. As soon as I get it back I am going to trade it in for a new car. Unfortunately I missed the lemon law by 2 months in my state. Bummer.

Favorite Features

It was fun to drive the times it has been out of the shop.

Suggested Improvements

How about not needed so much new stuff in a new car.

Reliable, solid and a blast to drive
By bill-l

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tribute--I've had it nearly a year, and have had no significant problems. It has great handling, acceleration and braking for an SUV, and I love the exterior looks and the interior comfort. The ride is smoother than any other SUV I test drove or have ever ridden in. You can keep your $75,000 Hummers--When I'm driving in my Tribute, I'm King of the Road--for 1/3rd the price! Zoom Zoom!!

Favorite Features

The premium 7 speaker audio system with 6-disc CD changer sounds great. The roof rack and fold-down seating makes it easy to schlep home the supplies for my latest project from Home Depot. The AC system keeps me frosty even in the worst Washington, DC heat and humidity.

Suggested Improvements

You'll get used to the stupid shift lever. The interior lighting needs improvement, especially around the ignition. For a small SUV the gas mileage could be better. The road noise problem has been helped with the addition of aftermarket Vent Visors on the windows.