Used 2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Love my Tribute
By bevhath

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this 2001 for little over 2 yrs now, over 105K miles. ONLY problem I've had is running rough when you first start it and occassionally rough "surges" at stop lights/signs. Any idea what that can be? Fun to drive, radio not very good, was hoping for a little better gas milage - gets around 18 around town & 24-25 long haul driving (interstates, etc). Looking for another in addition to this one now!

Great pick up (acceleration), fun to drive, easy to get in/out, sporty looking

Loved my tribute!!I
By nat

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had my lovely car for close to 10 years when a truck backed into it and smashed the radiator and grill :-( still arguing with insurance. It had 150,000 miles on it and ran like a dream-- mechanics all said (both dealer & private) that it had many more miles on it. I had to get a new transmission at 147,000 miles other than that just the regular wear-- oil change and brakes. I am negotiating with insurance but I WANT MY CAR BACK!! I love my tribute and I'm sure it has many more years left in it.

Roominess of cargo space-- fits 2 9.5 surfboards with ease. Nice leather seats, comfy, and handles well 4wd for the snow-- great

they fixed it on the newer models-- the shifter is in an awkward place

Get one with low miles and be a mechanic
By Will

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First off, this was my first car I ever owned and I loved it with all my heart, but Ford can't build cars to save their lives. If you can look past the doom and gloom of Ford than I think you will find a decent car. I think I had issues which were more isolated but none the less annoying. First off my transmission was horrific since day 1 with extremely choppy gear changes. The massive amount of recalls are staggering. My first factory sparkplug died early at 55,000 miles, thanks Ford. My best Top Gear simile to describe this car is "The tribute is like your girlfriend who is incredibly hot and will do great things for you, but she threatens to kill you each time she leaves."

Large interior with a manageable exterior, decent highway MPG (I usually got 25), Exterior design and look.

Interior design, reliability, transmission, quality. Just sever all ties with Ford.

2001 Mazda Tribute Rock On!!
By Flameworker

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this 2001 Mazda Tribute since it was new, and we have never had any problems with it. Only once when it was new, it shut off by itself on the highway, but this was soon resolved. It was a recall situation that got cleared up quickly for us. After that little incident it has always been smooth sailing with this vehicle. Great car based SUV! This vehicle is powerful, fun to drive, and very very very reliable.

Power, styling, and reliability.

There was a little road noise with this vehicle. Seats could be a little more comfortable. Headlights go bad quickly. They can condensate, fog up from the inside, and the plastic lens covers weathers fairly quickly.

Hate it
By Reasy

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car after my cr-v was totaled in an accident (not at fault) and couldn't find another used cr-v. Within three months I had over $3000 in major engine repairs and it just keeps getting worse. Gas mileage has really gone down and the car is so loud and rough to drive... bumpy MI roads don't help, but I get a headache sometimes during my commute. This car has been nothing but trouble for me. Door handles stick really bad, have to really pull to get the doors open. With the cheap feel I'm worried they are just going to break right off. They probably will now that I wrote that. Leather seats are very cheap feeling.

It's roomy.

Consistency maybe? There seem to be some pleased owners, but I am definitely not one of them.