2001 Mazda Tribute SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:
Love my Tribute
By bevhath on 05/01/11 02:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this 2001 for little over 2 yrs now, over 105K miles. ONLY problem I've had is running rough when you first start it and occassionally rough "surges" at stop lights/signs. Any idea what that can be? Fun to drive, radio not very good, was hoping for a little better gas milage - gets around 18 around town & 24-25 long haul driving (interstates, etc). Looking for another in addition to this one now!

Loved my tribute!!I
By nat on 02/02/10 15:14 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had my lovely car for close to 10 years when a truck backed into it and smashed the radiator and grill :-( still arguing with insurance. It had 150,000 miles on it and ran like a dream-- mechanics all said (both dealer & private) that it had many more miles on it. I had to get a new transmission at 147,000 miles other than that just the regular wear-- oil change and brakes. I am negotiating with insurance but I WANT MY CAR BACK!! I love my tribute and I'm sure it has many more years left in it.

Get one with low miles and be a mechanic
By Will on 12/27/09 18:51 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First off, this was my first car I ever owned and I loved it with all my heart, but Ford can't build cars to save their lives. If you can look past the doom and gloom of Ford than I think you will find a decent car. I think I had issues which were more isolated but none the less annoying. First off my transmission was horrific since day 1 with extremely choppy gear changes. The massive amount of recalls are staggering. My first factory sparkplug died early at 55,000 miles, thanks Ford. My best Top Gear simile to describe this car is "The tribute is like your girlfriend who is incredibly hot and will do great things for you, but she threatens to kill you each time she leaves."

2001 Mazda Tribute Rock On!!
By Flameworker on 07/14/08 19:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this 2001 Mazda Tribute since it was new, and we have never had any problems with it. Only once when it was new, it shut off by itself on the highway, but this was soon resolved. It was a recall situation that got cleared up quickly for us. After that little incident it has always been smooth sailing with this vehicle. Great car based SUV! This vehicle is powerful, fun to drive, and very very very reliable.

Hate it
By Reasy on 06/30/08 19:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car after my cr-v was totaled in an accident (not at fault) and couldn't find another used cr-v. Within three months I had over $3000 in major engine repairs and it just keeps getting worse. Gas mileage has really gone down and the car is so loud and rough to drive... bumpy MI roads don't help, but I get a headache sometimes during my commute. This car has been nothing but trouble for me. Door handles stick really bad, have to really pull to get the doors open. With the cheap feel I'm worried they are just going to break right off. They probably will now that I wrote that. Leather seats are very cheap feeling.

Love my Tribute
By Morgan Lover on 12/21/07 16:15 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle when it was one year old and had 7,000 miles in it. It now has 63,000. It has provided an excellent, FUN driving experience. No problems and it still drives like it did the first day. This is the first car I have owned that wasn't a sports car so I do "drive" and the Tribute is a blast. Stll have the original Michelins on her!!! I change the oil and filter every 3,500 miles, rotate the tires every other oil change, do the other maintenance by the book, and NO problems yet, not even when it was under warranty. I get 18 mpg in the city, up to 22 on the Interstate depending on velocity. Thinking of trading...but why should I?

What a lemon
By Dewey on 06/30/07 08:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had one of these, and have put several hundred dollars a year into it since it was about 2 years old. It's had at least three recalls. One of them caused all the power to shut off as I was driving down a hill; could barely work the power steering to get pull it off the main road. Struts have burst, things are leaking and broken that should not be. Am getting rid of is ASAP.

I've owned it 5 years
By Gary on 01/31/07 12:39 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Tribute is great. Very fun to drive. Very peppy and MPG is not bad for SUV. Very stylish and comfy. Great heater! Road/wind noise is a little much but the vehicle is well insulated. Tows very well and cargo room is great. Better than a pick-up with rear seats folded down. Premium sound is great and convenience of power mirrors, seat,windows, moon roof, etc. is very nice.

A pretty good SUV
By dan18932 on 09/29/06 12:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Tribute for 1 year now. I bought it used from the original owner. It has gone through all of the recalls and I thought it was fine, until the transmission went out at 47000 miles. It had burned up one day while I was driving home from work. The original warranty had expired because it was a 2001. I took it into the dealer and they said I needed a new one which would cost $3000 dollars. I told them I never heard of a car's tranny going out so soon. After fighting with Mazda they agreed to pay half and the dealer I took it to paid some so it only cost me $1,000 dollars. I do not think I would ever buy one again though it drives nicely and has pretty good performance. My mpg is 19.

Mazda Tribute Lemon
By Tim on 03/20/06 12:45 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After buying this I had to take it back the next day for a leak on the transmission. They had to replace the rear seal and plug. Since then I have had the brakes, battery, brake booster, window controls, cruise control, gas tank, gas cap replaced (along with a few other items). Now the transmission went out, wonder if it is related to the original leak. $3300 for a transmission, what a rip off. Please do not buy one, or any Mazda. Service here is not the best either.