Used 2001 Mazda Tribute DX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

2001 Mazda Tribute is a Great Vehicle
By Eva

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV DX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2001 Mazda Tribute in 2000. I have driven over 75,000 miles. This is a great vehicle. I have had no major problems with this vehicle. The only two problems I experienced was a broken door handle (inside) in about year three and about three months ago an EGR valve had to be replaced. The door handle cost was $75 dollars and the EGR valve $120. These are the only expenses I have had with my vehicle as far as repairs. This is a great everyday vehicle. It's roomy, the steering is excellent, it runs great and stops on a dime. I'm going into my fifth year driving this vehicle and I plan to drive it five more. My Tribute is well worth the $16,700 I paid for it back in 2000.

Favorite Features

The interior space. There's room for everything.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.

"I Love My MADZA TRIBUTE!"
By Madza Tribute

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV DX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The day I gave this black SUV a trial run I had to buy it. It was the first one sold in Contra Costa County. Every where I went people asked me what kind of SUV it was ... I still get compliments on it. It has been the true "ZOOM ZOOM" that they advertised. It pulls my Sea-Doo with no effort. The 4-wheel drive is easy to use and works great up in the snow. The ONLY thing that was negative is that they put the shift control on the steering wheel instead of on the floor; sometimes when you change the volume on the radio you accidentally hit the steering shifter. I think they have remedied this on newer models. I love this SUV!

Favorite Features

I love the tight steering and the sport car feel. This SUV is a screamer. And the sunroof is fun too.

Suggested Improvements

They put the shifter on the steering column and it interferes with the radio; but you get used to it.

engine problems
By mazdasucks

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV DX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had to replace the engine at 57000 miles.

If you like the feel of a car but need s
By Kiele

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV DX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you like the feel of a car but need something bigger this is great!!! I find it to be very peppy and it gets GREAT gas milage.

Favorite Features

I love the "look" of the car, and how surprizingly roomy it is on the inside.

Suggested Improvements

better seats and arm rests would be nice.

Nice to drive, yet very unsafe
By AimeeW

2001 Mazda Tribute SUV DX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have the DX 2WD/ 4cyl standard Tribute and it has been a reliable car in general but it is absolutely horrible in the rain/snow. It handles extremely poor in these conditions. When it rains, I hydroplane often and it skids on any road that is slightly slick while braking. I am looking to trade this vehicle in because of this but now I see that it has depreciated terribly as well.

Favorite Features

Low gas mileage! Fun to drive (road conditions permitting). Great space inside!

Suggested Improvements

Better weight distribution is recommended to help with the slipping and sliding on the roads. Smoother shifting in manuals would be helpful. It would be nice if they made the car a little more solid and tighter. Wind noise inside the car is really loud.