Used 2001 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Plastic Wonder
By R.M.

2001 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has to be one of the worst designed vehicles for repairs. I've done plenty of wrenching and have come across so many engineering failures on this vehicles it's hard to give this vehicle a decent rating. When the vehicle works, it's not too bad of a ride. Gas mileage leaves quite a bit to be desired and I range under 24 for highway. However, once you need to start doing repairs that is where the joy starts. First, almost everything is plastic. The intake manifold and valve cover are plastic which has become a joy years later as some of the brass nuts embedded in the plastic have begun to spin out and no longer hold. Plan on a lengthy swap too when you want to do some basic maintenance such as spark plugs, that's right pull the entire intake, plus the IAC and a couple of other sensors and hoses off just to do plugs. I also had the fun of needing to replace the alternator on this vehicle and Ford had the ingenious idea to bury it at the bottom of the engine right where it is most susceptible to water and mud (x10 if you have and use the 4WD like it was made to). Now the real fun comes in trying to get the dumb thing out. The official repair procedure is to remove the entire passenger intermediate axle shaft to get it out! Seriously, look it up if you think I'm making that up. There is a workaround however that you can barely slip it by the firewall by carefully moving the ac lines enough to lower it. Anyway, VERY stupid. Another big complaint on the interior is the use of plastic for the door handles.

Overall the vehicle is pretty nice to drive but if you do your own repairs I suggest finding something else and staying away from this plastic wonder.

Why I Like my Mazda Tribute
By Phil Henderson

2001 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I researched all SUV's in this category and bought the Tribute based on specific criteria. I wanted a front wheel drive (traction in snow), not 4WD (maintenance risk and mileage), head room (I'm only 6' tall and if I pitched forward in an accident in the Sante Fe, it would have hit the ceiling - Tribute has lots of room), 6 cyl, rear gate opens up, carry 4x8 sheet of plywood through the rear window, carry 8 ft 2x4 inside with the doors closed, internal storage of spare tire, fits in the garage, styling interior and exterior, elevated rear seats, visibility for the driver, and excellent driving feel.

Head room, cargo room, dash board, overall appearance

Reduce road noise

as good as it gets
By bonyeller

2001 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a pretty decent purchase, just wished I had gotten cruise control. I didn't want to pay the extra costs of just adding cruise control as an option. The vehicle has al ot of pep and passing power, not too bad on towing either. I would recommend this "baby SUV" to anyone, just make sure you have cruise control.

16" alloy wheels

Different areas on the radio controls, standard cruise control

Best Car I Ever Bought!!!
By Japhia Tarver

2001 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Me and my husband bought this SUV about
three weeks ago, so far we love it! We
have not had any problems out of it so
far. We bought it used and it's still
in really great shape! I love how it
drives and that it has good handling on
turns. It has a lot of room in it and I
think will be very safe for my brand
new baby. It has a cool feature on it
where the back seat folds in the
floorbaord, then the back part on the
seat folds down so it makes the back
part like a flat-bed truck. One thing
my husband doesn't like about it though
is how long it takes for it to shift
gears. Overall it is a great vehicle
and I hope that it lasts us for a long
while.

Cool Truck, but bad luck
By ejrusso

We have had our Tribute DX V6 since
November 2000. Besides being fun to drive
and powerful the truck has a lot of problems.
We are taking our truck in at least 4-5 times
every 6 months, for repairs, since we've had it.
Our transimission has been replaced along
with the cylanoid, master brake cylinder,
cracked fuel line, 4 check engine light sensors,
the rear windshield wiper, drivers door panel,
and the stripping along the front windshield.
I'm sure there are some I am forgetting.

Power,. Fun to drive. Looks better then the Escape.

They need better quality control.