Used 2001 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

power window and door locks fail
By 1961barbie

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

2011 cd player malfunctioned trapping my fav cd forever. cant play it, cant get it back out. 2011 the bolt holding the rear window on rusted thru and if you open it you need to lift while closing it to line it up manually. 2012 bright/dim switch stopped working. 2012 shifter cable broke. 2013 transmission went out 2013 drivers door power window off track 2014 power door lock malfunction resulting in drivers door and driver side back door will not open, and front passenger door only opens from the outside. 2014 drivers door window off the track again. but... drives smooth, good mileage and good on tires.

Favorite Features

favorite feature is gas mileage air works great. love the moon roof. roomy interior, will hold more than you think it will, like if you want to move a desk or table. seats lean forward.

Suggested Improvements

seriously redesign the electrical system. a bit more life and power to the tranny would be a huge plus. and the center box, between the front seats should be lower. it's in the way, but nice to have the extra storage, just make it shorter.

Great SUV!
By juguru

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Mazda Tribute ES V6 4x4 in October 2000. This has been a great car. I recently had a tune-up at 229,000 miles and the mechanic couldn't believe it was in such great shape for being almost 13 years old. She looks and runs like the day I bought it! I'm sure the fact I live in Charleston, SC helped keep it looking so nice - no snow! The only problem I had with it was the pleather inserts on the door panels failed about 2 years ago, but I was able to fix them myself... A very good and dependable vehicle and a lot of fun to drive. My sister needed a new car so I just drove it to Upstate NY to give to her. Still running great on long trips. I will miss driving it!!!

Favorite Features

Very roomy. I'm 6'7" and had more than enough room. Great visibility when driving - no blind spots. Fun, fun, fun to drive.

Love my Tribute
By bevhath

2001 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this 2001 for little over 2 yrs now, over 105K miles. ONLY problem I've had is running rough when you first start it and occassionally rough "surges" at stop lights/signs. Any idea what that can be? Fun to drive, radio not very good, was hoping for a little better gas milage - gets around 18 around town & 24-25 long haul driving (interstates, etc). Looking for another in addition to this one now!

Favorite Features

Great pick up (acceleration), fun to drive, easy to get in/out, sporty looking

Awesome...but....
By andrewcaudillo

2001 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Mazda, I really do. But after 10 years of babying, I feel that it should fare better than it is. We bought it brand new in late 2000. It looked incredible then, and it still does. However, there are a few issues: 1) (minor) the fabric panelling on the doors is falling off. ($20 fix) 2) (minor) The headlights are all fogged up ($15 fix) 3) (major) The PLASTIC intake manifold gasket has gone bad ($1000 fix) Would I buy another one? Mmm...probably not. I'm driving a 2001 Toyota Camry LE (4 cyl) while the Mazda's in the shop, and though it doesn't look as good, drive as well, or sound as awesome, it hasn't given my grandparents a single issue... I'll buy a VW or Toyota next time

Favorite Features

The sound of the 3.0 litre Duratec V6, the power of the 3.0 litre Duratec V6, exterior styling, interior styling.

Suggested Improvements

1) Really, Mazda? 15-19 MPG??? (I drive normally) 2) Don't make important parts (e.g. intake manifold gasket) out of cheap plastic. Spend the extra few bucks to put in some good ol' metal. 3) In general, build your cars better.

Great value
By dannybmx

2001 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Tribute used when it had only 25,000 miles on it. It now has 228,000 miles. The engine has been great. The weak spot has been the automatic transmission. I have had the transmission rebuilt twice. However the first time the shop did not do a good job so a second time was needed. This has been such a great car for my small family. The inside is really nice a rommy allowing us to pack gear and even a 50cc motorcycle into it. I have used it to tow a motorcycle trailer without problems.

Favorite Features

I have really enjoyed the reliability of the engine. I have had to do only the minimum amount of maintenance on it to get so much out of it.

Suggested Improvements

Please make a better longer lasting transmission.