Used 2008 Mazda Tribute Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Tribute Hybrid model:

Mazda's secret
By Hybrid fan

2008 Mazda Tribute Hybrid Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've only had it 2 months and so far there's been no major problems. The average mpg up to 27.8 which is around what I expected. Overall I would recommend it for someone who wants an environmentally kinder SUV.

The fact that when you're sitting in traffic or at a red light that seems to last forever you're not wasting gas or pumping out pollutants. The display that tells you things like average mpg and miles left till empty.

The main things I'd change about it are an extra row of seats would be nice. The other thing is the styling, it's very brick-like, I prefer the sleeker looks of the crossovers, although you do sacrifice some space for that.

Unexpected nice found
By jssum

2008 Mazda Tribute Hybrid Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife got her new driver's license and she initially wanted a MINI, but I thought why don't we go green, and I didn't even know there's a hybrid SUV made by Mazda at that time. The color options were limited, we picked the spark blue and there was only 1 available in socal when I searched the Mazda inventory. Fortunately it was a nice looking sky blue and the pricing sealed the deal. We've been getting 29 mpg on avg so far, handling is quite good (we just drove it up to the mountains this weekend) and the audio system is better than expected. Even my picky parents said the back seats are comfortable.

Comfortable and quiet interior, superb handling, decent audio system.

More pick up speed. Differentiation from Ford Escape.

Green Power!
By Trivalley guy

2008 Mazda Tribute Hybrid Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Owned a gas guzzling Jeep and paying $90 per fill up was just not cutting it. Looked at another SUV and was reading about the Ford Escape. Stumbled upon this gem. Sister car to Escape and Mercury Mariner, but a better design (in my opinion), and better pricing. Couple that with the $3000 tax incentive and I was sold. Solidly built, quiet, flawless transition from battery to gas and back. Decent sound system. Averaging 31 mpg since we got it. NICE!

Fuel economy, quiet ride! This car was available!!! But hurry, this was a limited release.

Options limited, a little more ooph would have been nice but hey, I'll take the 31mph.

Love my Mazda Tribute Hybrid
By al

2008 Mazda Tribute Hybrid Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased our mazda when gas was still under 4.00 a gallon. Love the mileage, 36 mpg. Fun car to drive. Overall very satisfied.

MPG is better than expected

A/C to work in battery mode

So far so good...
By CJ

2008 Mazda Tribute Hybrid Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought the car in Feb and took a trip from Sacramento to San Diego and back a month later. Car is comfortable for 3-4 people + large dog in back. I enjoy driving it. Mileage on SD trip averaged 30 MPG. In town 28-31 MPG. You will find yourself driving a little slower to drive farther in electric mode. We are glad we bought it.

MPG. Comfortable to drive. Looks nice.

Body style a little boxy. Taper the lines a little to make it more aero-dynamic.