Better than okay... not excellent!
By debrucer on
2009 Mazda RX-8 Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)
I have owned sports cars all my life and my favorite had a 50/50 weight distribution ('75 Alfetta GT). This car doesn't feel as light, or as peppy from what I remember. The only other rotary car I drove was an old MX2, right hand drive imported by a service man and traded through a local dealership. he had bought two, and had to sell one to pay for the EPA expenses to end up with one car. It was hot... this car is not so hot. Not nearly enough torque. Features are nice, variable speed/temp redline is pretty kewl, and rev-limiters in general, also kewl. if you're going to have a hot car you should drive it hard... and this car really isn't all that "hot". I'm not "sorry" I bought.
Favorite Features
I needed a third seat for a year old for one, 2000 mile trip, and compared to a rental car and insurance in Mexico, this was a good solution. But, aside from occasional use, not much of a back seat here... and not much of a sports car either.
Suggested Improvements
Needs another 100 lbs of torque.
By debrucer
on 03/01/11 20:29 PM (PST)

follow-up 13 months later at 22K. Nothing has changed positively opinion-wise, and several aspects have gotten worse. Handling is nothing near what it should be. There are three place where I drive that make the steering seem to buckle and front suspension crunch. Not my favorite car by a long shot, and unfortunately, due to six year financing, and outrageous initial cost, I am stuck with it for a while.