Used 2009 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Pure Driving Machine
By Oleboy

2009 Mazda RX-8 RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is excellent for people familiar with rotory engines. Knowing up front that the car needs the oil checked every fillup and let it run for at least five minutes before you turn it off. That is really the only obligations you have from regular cars,that I am aware of. This is no problem for me. The sound and unique. The car is not lightening quick but is very fast once to speed. Handling is a dream,at any speed. Nice leather seats and all the stuff that comes in a loaded vehicle. It has a great warranty and the redesigned rotory eliminates the problems (internal leaks) from 04 to 06. It drives great. Get brocure from dealure and test drive one,thats the best way to decide on any car.

Favorite Features

Steering and shifting is spot on. Also I like sitting very low to the ground once inside. The touring and R3 have advanced keyless operation on all locks and ignition.

Suggested Improvements

I really think Mazda should put oil cooler screens on these cars at the factory. One rock or peice of metal when on the interstate could easily puncture one of them and all oil will flow out of the system. Would add maybe $30.00 to cost of car. I will have to do this myself.

Wonderful sports car
By AP

2009 Mazda RX-8 RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is surprisingly comfortable. Handling is superb: better than my former S2000, STI, Speed3, and of course, Mustang GT. Very easy to drive, even for the novices. Clutch is soft and easy to play with. The gear box is good and smooth but i think the S2000's one is better. Power is linear. Not fast like the STI or the Mustang GT but who care? we cannot use all that power around town anyway. So, i'm ok with my R3 and it's fast enough for me. Smooth, smooth, and smooth engine! no vibration whatsoever when rev it. It sounds very good. This car is unique like no others. It's fun to drive and the bottom line is i just love it more than all other sports cars i had in the past (don't know why).

Favorite Features

Handling, very stable at any speed, easy to drive, wonderful gear box, comfortable for sports car, smooth and sweet engine sound, unique, special, classy.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage (but not that important since this is a sports car). I don't care about the rear seats. Get rid of them and make it a pure 2-seat sports car!

Outstanding sport/family car!!!
By Popeye

2009 Mazda RX-8 Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I bought this car for my wife after her Stratus got totalled in a 7-car pile-up. All other cars we looked at were all the same. Line any brand, make or model up on a football field, and they're all the same 'boxy' car. I bought this one for her because of style, then engine, then performance. GAS MILEAGE? You've got to understand this engine. Due to its rotary nature, it all boils down to a 6- cylinder, 2-stroke engine. Typically, 2-stroke engines have never had much power until you reach a speed above city street speed, and fuel consumption matches. You can drive this car at 80 MPH in 3rd gear (yes, auto also) all day with no problems. Never slides, squeals or tilts much on turns.

Favorite Features

Engine (once you understand it) Handling (FANTASTIC!) Roomy, for a sports car. Doesn't slow at hills at hiway speeds, like most cars do. Style - Just 'weird' but lovable Ride - Not too stiff, not soft at all Ease of use - The whole console may be reached without stretching, even for short folk

Suggested Improvements

Absolutely NONE!

Sad Effort Mazda
By Colin

2009 Mazda RX-8 RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Disappointed, engine stalls. Also prone to flooding if you drive it for less than 40 minutes - not good news with inner city living needing you to shuffle parking spots. The final nail was a dropped rotor. Reported the performance drop off to Mazda, they "didn't find anything". Needed a full engine replacement, never again ... and then Mazda Australia comment of "no customer goodwill will be provided". Sure could try the legal route, but have not got the time.

Favorite Features

Is great car to drive, be nice if it could hold its own in a straight run from the lights rather than just luck pretty - but does corner well. Does not live up the the rx7 blood lines. Plus anyone notice the average age of the people buying ... puts a dent in the ego :)

Suggested Improvements

Interior trim needs work, marks easy and bland. Fix the flooding - not hard but may cost Mazda some $$, which I don't think they have for the rx8 - not enough numbers being moved. The lamest attempt was the alarm to advice when the engine was turned off early - and not to all markets [wrong message]

RX8 R3 Best car purchase yet!
By LoveMyRX8

2009 Mazda RX-8 RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love driving my RX8. True, it's not as potent as my Speed3, but it is much more fun to drive. I could never take turns and corners in my Speed3 like I do in my 8. I never got to drive an older model, but the R3 is so incredible at handling, I couldn't imagine a boring drive in any RX8. One thing is for sure, the RX8 is my new choice of car and cant wait to see what other improvements/new models that Mazda will release in the future. Judging by the R3 final product, I know Mazda is headed in the right direction. Let's hope they stay headed that same way.

Favorite Features

Suspension, wheels, recaro seats

Suggested Improvements

Obviously, more power. If Mazda can release turbo versions of other cars, why not the RX8? Or, at least make it available through Mazdaspeed as a dealer installed option.