Used 2009 Mazda RX-8 Grand Touring Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Truth
By chad

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Here is the truth about the 2009 rx8. Fun to drive if you can afford to drive it how its meant to be driven all the time. The heavier your foot is the more oil it consumes, gas mileage is way down there, and if you don't drive it hard you risk flooding, fouling and carbon build up. Run mine hard all the time and still need to clean the spark plugs every 6,000. Trust me it helps! As far as drivabilty goes best piece of machinery I have ever driven! Handling and forgiveness is great, top end is good too, there is an extreme lack of torque though. As far as comfort, seats hold you in, but they are a little hard. This car offers the most fun for your dollar, unless you are a straight line driver.

Favorite Features

rotary engine, and handling performance

Suggested Improvements

apex seals need to be more reliable and need to deal with carbon build up

really fun to drive
By shooz

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

First new car I've ever owned, now 8k miles. I live in LA and it's terrific to get around town with some style, nimble on the freeways (although it has large blind-spots), and way too much fun in the canyons. Fine in rain but lousy in snow. Engine's quirky but really fun once you get used to it. Doesn't feel underpowered, but I know Mazda changed the gear ratios in 2009, I don't drive below 2800 RPM when in traffic, and I'd never consider this car as an automatic. Precise gearing/steering + sport suspension means your girlfriend probably can't do her make-up while riding shotgun. As designed it drinks oil, about 1 quart every 1k miles, no biggie. I'm 6' and have just enough headroom.

Favorite Features

The handling and road grip is terrific; love the engine at high RPM and the feeling of the gearbox. Love the body styling. Interior feels classy. Pedals are spaced close together. Backseats are okay for short hops; suicide doors are a cool touch, and the trunk will fit a couple suitcases.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy is my only real gripe. I get 13-14.5 mpg in the city/freeway. On highway I've gotten 23. Turbo would be a fun option but outside of a track there doesn't seem to be much point.

Can't Fault My RX-8
By ash8

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

So far no problems at all, I really can not fault my Superb Mazda RX-8. Fuel economy rate for performance is very acceptable, what do people expect, it is not a Civic, it is a Sports Car. Handling is Superb, #3 in America. Braking is Excellent # 10 rated against all Exotics. Performance is Fantastic for a 1.3 Litre Rotary, 0-60 in under 6.8 Sec is fast for ANY car. Great Value, nothing comes close. This car is Unique. Not a day goes by without a look or comment....is that the new Porsche..one guy asked. Would I recommend this car...Hell Yes..

Favorite Features

Rotary Engine, Brakes, Transmission...Everything.

Suggested Improvements

Could have a better quality Paintwork

Better than okay... not excellent!
By debrucer

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have owned sports cars all my life and my favorite had a 50/50 weight distribution ('75 Alfetta GT). This car doesn't feel as light, or as peppy from what I remember. The only other rotary car I drove was an old MX2, right hand drive imported by a service man and traded through a local dealership. he had bought two, and had to sell one to pay for the EPA expenses to end up with one car. It was hot... this car is not so hot. Not nearly enough torque. Features are nice, variable speed/temp redline is pretty kewl, and rev-limiters in general, also kewl. if you're going to have a hot car you should drive it hard... and this car really isn't all that "hot". I'm not "sorry" I bought.

Favorite Features

I needed a third seat for a year old for one, 2000 mile trip, and compared to a rental car and insurance in Mexico, this was a good solution. But, aside from occasional use, not much of a back seat here... and not much of a sports car either.

Suggested Improvements

Needs another 100 lbs of torque.