2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Best car I've ever owned or driven.
By driverlife on 05/06/13 15:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Very much improved over older RX-8s I have never owned a car that is this much fun to drive. The cars turn in ability and grip is extreme. Sometimes its hard to live with because the suspension is so stiff. But its been my daily driver and weekend warrior for more than 3 years now. I always get looks in this car. The interior is really upscale with piano black center pieces. and aluminum inserts. It's much faster than the other cars I've owned: 98 Oldsmobile Aurora V8, 03 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. I also currently own a 2006 civic si that is also sporty and more forgiving on the back. Its not as fast as the RX-8 and no where near the RX-8 in handling prowess.

Most fun I have ever had driving 500 mi.
By Tryce on 04/10/10 19:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Been waiting for this car since it came out in '04. Reliability issues always made me stay away and it seems Mazda has fixed most of those, so I decided to take the dive when I found one for a great deal in the color and model I wanted. Black R3. Best car I have ever driven, and I have driven a BMW M3. Don't get me wrong, it is nowhere as fast but the handling is superb. When you are on a curve that is posted for 35 and you are going 70 with no hint of body roll, that is awesome handling. I do not encourage breaking the law, btw. Low end torque bad, but once you get into the high rpm in 3rd gear, it feels like a turbo kicks in. Awesome car, not sure on reliability yet, though.

Pure Driving Machine
By Oleboy on 02/19/10 18:13 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is excellent for people familiar with rotory engines. Knowing up front that the car needs the oil checked every fillup and let it run for at least five minutes before you turn it off. That is really the only obligations you have from regular cars,that I am aware of. This is no problem for me. The sound and unique. The car is not lightening quick but is very fast once to speed. Handling is a dream,at any speed. Nice leather seats and all the stuff that comes in a loaded vehicle. It has a great warranty and the redesigned rotory eliminates the problems (internal leaks) from 04 to 06. It drives great. Get brocure from dealure and test drive one,thats the best way to decide on any car.

Wonderful sports car
By AP on 10/14/09 19:02 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is surprisingly comfortable. Handling is superb: better than my former S2000, STI, Speed3, and of course, Mustang GT. Very easy to drive, even for the novices. Clutch is soft and easy to play with. The gear box is good and smooth but i think the S2000's one is better. Power is linear. Not fast like the STI or the Mustang GT but who care? we cannot use all that power around town anyway. So, i'm ok with my R3 and it's fast enough for me. Smooth, smooth, and smooth engine! no vibration whatsoever when rev it. It sounds very good. This car is unique like no others. It's fun to drive and the bottom line is i just love it more than all other sports cars i had in the past (don't know why).

Sad Effort Mazda
By Colin on 06/27/09 04:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Disappointed, engine stalls. Also prone to flooding if you drive it for less than 40 minutes - not good news with inner city living needing you to shuffle parking spots. The final nail was a dropped rotor. Reported the performance drop off to Mazda, they "didn't find anything". Needed a full engine replacement, never again ... and then Mazda Australia comment of "no customer goodwill will be provided". Sure could try the legal route, but have not got the time.

RX8 R3 Best car purchase yet!
By LoveMyRX8 on 06/14/09 17:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love driving my RX8. True, it's not as potent as my Speed3, but it is much more fun to drive. I could never take turns and corners in my Speed3 like I do in my 8. I never got to drive an older model, but the R3 is so incredible at handling, I couldn't imagine a boring drive in any RX8. One thing is for sure, the RX8 is my new choice of car and cant wait to see what other improvements/new models that Mazda will release in the future. Judging by the R3 final product, I know Mazda is headed in the right direction. Let's hope they stay headed that same way.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe in WA is:

$150 per month*