Used 2009 Mazda RX-8 RX-8 R3 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda Rx-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Best car I've ever owned or driven.
By driverlife

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Very much improved over older RX-8s I have never owned a car that is this much fun to drive. The cars turn in ability and grip is extreme. Sometimes its hard to live with because the suspension is so stiff. But its been my daily driver and weekend warrior for more than 3 years now. I always get looks in this car. The interior is really upscale with piano black center pieces. and aluminum inserts. It's much faster than the other cars I've owned: 98 Oldsmobile Aurora V8, 03 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. I also currently own a 2006 civic si that is also sporty and more forgiving on the back. Its not as fast as the RX-8 and no where near the RX-8 in handling prowess.

Favorite Features

1.3L rotary engine has a smooth high rpm redline (9000 rpm) and are hand built. There are interior accent lights on the doors that shine down on the buttons. Hids. Gunmetal 19' wheels. Stock body kit and bilstein shocks give it an incredible stance. Seats are stiff but comfortable due to there premium materials.

Suggested Improvements

It uses a lot of fuel. Its rated at 16city/22highway. I usually average 15mpg with mixed driving. In future RX models they need to improve the power and fuel economy.

Most fun I have ever had driving 500 mi.
By Tryce

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Been waiting for this car since it came out in '04. Reliability issues always made me stay away and it seems Mazda has fixed most of those, so I decided to take the dive when I found one for a great deal in the color and model I wanted. Black R3. Best car I have ever driven, and I have driven a BMW M3. Don't get me wrong, it is nowhere as fast but the handling is superb. When you are on a curve that is posted for 35 and you are going 70 with no hint of body roll, that is awesome handling. I do not encourage breaking the law, btw. Low end torque bad, but once you get into the high rpm in 3rd gear, it feels like a turbo kicks in. Awesome car, not sure on reliability yet, though.

Favorite Features

Handling, the look of the body and wheels of the R3, the sound of the engine, short-throw shifter, Bose sound system

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy of course, low end torque, big blind spot on driver's side due to Ricaro seats being so high and window column being in the way, radio dashboard (what's up with the red digital display above the dials and what looks like a digital display below the volume dial but in reality is nothing)

Pure Driving Machine
By Oleboy

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is excellent for people familiar with rotory engines. Knowing up front that the car needs the oil checked every fillup and let it run for at least five minutes before you turn it off. That is really the only obligations you have from regular cars,that I am aware of. This is no problem for me. The sound and unique. The car is not lightening quick but is very fast once to speed. Handling is a dream,at any speed. Nice leather seats and all the stuff that comes in a loaded vehicle. It has a great warranty and the redesigned rotory eliminates the problems (internal leaks) from 04 to 06. It drives great. Get brocure from dealure and test drive one,thats the best way to decide on any car.

Favorite Features

Steering and shifting is spot on. Also I like sitting very low to the ground once inside. The touring and R3 have advanced keyless operation on all locks and ignition.

Suggested Improvements

I really think Mazda should put oil cooler screens on these cars at the factory. One rock or peice of metal when on the interstate could easily puncture one of them and all oil will flow out of the system. Would add maybe $30.00 to cost of car. I will have to do this myself.

Wonderful sports car
By AP

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is surprisingly comfortable. Handling is superb: better than my former S2000, STI, Speed3, and of course, Mustang GT. Very easy to drive, even for the novices. Clutch is soft and easy to play with. The gear box is good and smooth but i think the S2000's one is better. Power is linear. Not fast like the STI or the Mustang GT but who care? we cannot use all that power around town anyway. So, i'm ok with my R3 and it's fast enough for me. Smooth, smooth, and smooth engine! no vibration whatsoever when rev it. It sounds very good. This car is unique like no others. It's fun to drive and the bottom line is i just love it more than all other sports cars i had in the past (don't know why).

Favorite Features

Handling, very stable at any speed, easy to drive, wonderful gear box, comfortable for sports car, smooth and sweet engine sound, unique, special, classy.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage (but not that important since this is a sports car). I don't care about the rear seats. Get rid of them and make it a pure 2-seat sports car!

Sad Effort Mazda
By Colin

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Disappointed, engine stalls. Also prone to flooding if you drive it for less than 40 minutes - not good news with inner city living needing you to shuffle parking spots. The final nail was a dropped rotor. Reported the performance drop off to Mazda, they "didn't find anything". Needed a full engine replacement, never again ... and then Mazda Australia comment of "no customer goodwill will be provided". Sure could try the legal route, but have not got the time.

Favorite Features

Is great car to drive, be nice if it could hold its own in a straight run from the lights rather than just luck pretty - but does corner well. Does not live up the the rx7 blood lines. Plus anyone notice the average age of the people buying ... puts a dent in the ego :)

Suggested Improvements

Interior trim needs work, marks easy and bland. Fix the flooding - not hard but may cost Mazda some $$, which I don't think they have for the rx8 - not enough numbers being moved. The lamest attempt was the alarm to advice when the engine was turned off early - and not to all markets [wrong message]