2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Best car I've ever owned or driven.
By driverlife on 05/06/13 15:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Very much improved over older RX-8s I have never owned a car that is this much fun to drive. The cars turn in ability and grip is extreme. Sometimes its hard to live with because the suspension is so stiff. But its been my daily driver and weekend warrior for more than 3 years now. I always get looks in this car. The interior is really upscale with piano black center pieces. and aluminum inserts. It's much faster than the other cars I've owned: 98 Oldsmobile Aurora V8, 03 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. I also currently own a 2006 civic si that is also sporty and more forgiving on the back. Its not as fast as the RX-8 and no where near the RX-8 in handling prowess.

2009 and Newer RX8 is New and Improved
By earlt500 on 02/22/11 16:42 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

What Changed In Series II RX-8's over S1 2009 and Newer RX8 is New and Improved 2009 is better than 2004-2008 All New Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with Temperature Sensor newly added and built into the PCM, when ETC (Engine Compartment Temperature) reaches 230F or 100C with Ignition OFF, Medium Cooling Fans Switch ON. New Larger Genuine Oil Filter and Repositioned on front Timing Cover Housing towards the Sump (Left Hand Side). USE GENUINE 09 SERIES II OIL FILTER ONLY. Revised Oil Filler and Dip Stick (Longer Type). New EMOP "Electric Metering Oil Pumps" Two of them... Internal Oil Pressure in EMOP's is between 7.3 and 21.7 PSI (Used for the first time by Mazda) New design Oil Injection Nozzles 3 per rotor housing..Totalling 6. New Oil Pump assembly. 50% Higher Oil Pressure at 100 oC (121oF) 3000 RPM...500 kPa {5.10 kgf/cm2, 72.5 psi} When compared to Series 1 RX-8. New Oil Pressure Sensor (ONLY Located on #1 EMOP). Larger Oil pan Sump Capacity. New hex (8mm) type Sump Drain plug. New Internal Oil/Sump pan Magnet... (First time used in a Rotary Engine since 1985 FC RX-7) New external silver plate Engine Sump Guard. New Inlet Manifold with changed APV Position sensors. Revised 4 Fuel Injection Nozzles (2 primary, 2 secondary). (Series I six Port Engine had 6 FI Nozzles). Revised Atmospheric Air Control Solenoid (near Throttle Body) New Fuel Pump. New Radiator Core. New radiator Electric Fan Motors. Revised radiator Fans Speeds from 2 to 3 Speeds. (Low, Middle, High). New Alternator. New Starter Motor. New Battery 80D26L. (80 AMP Hour) (Was 50D22L (50AH) or 75D26L (75AH) in Series I) New Exhaust System. New Yaw Rate Sensor unit. New Air Conditioner Temperature Controller (Amplifier). New Bridgestone RE050A's in 18" and 19" (R3). New Manual Transmission (6 speed MX-5/Miata) (Reverse is now next to 1st gear not next to 6th gear). New Differential Ratio (Manual). New Differential Fixing Plate Washer on PPF (Power Plant Frame). New Differential mounting Bracket. New additional alloy Cooling Fins (4) on alloy differential Cover Plate, plus deeper set Cooling Fins. Changed Throw Out Bearing (Thrust or Fork Bearing). Revised Oil Coolers, Air Intakes and Oil Cooler Hose Lines. Extra Rotor Knock Sensor (Now 1 per Rotor, Total Of 2). New Water Pump/ New Timing Cover to suit. New Water Pump Pulley. New Water Pump "O" Ring as gasket. New Spark plug Leads. New Ignition Coil Backing/Mounting Plate (now Ventilated) New Alternator/Air Compressor Drive Belts. Revised Eccentric Shaft (Crankshaft) Pulley. Revised Oxygen Sensor (CAT). Revised Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor (Exhaust Manifold). New Air Pump Control unit. New One-piece trans-Tunnel Heat Shield (Previously Two Piece). New Under Body Covers reducing C Drag from 0.31 to now 0.30. Larger Fuel Tank (5 litres extra or around a gallon). New Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) Hydraulic unit Control module. New Rear-Suspension Control-Links (Rods) Upper/Lower and Trailing have Increased In Diameter. New Rear Stabilizer Bar. New Rear Shocks And Springs. New Rear Axles. New Rear parking-Brake Cables. New ABS Wheel Sensors (All 4 Wheels). Revised TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) US Only. New Front Upper And Front Lower Suspension Arms (Wishbone). New Front Steering Knuckles And Wheel Hubs. New Front Stabilizer Bar. New Front Shock and Springs. Revised Power-steering Control System unit. Revised Headlamp Auto-Leveling Sensors. New 3 Piece (Instead of 2) Strut Tower Brace (Manual Only), Auto's Retains Two Piece Tower Brace. Revised Front and Rear Wheel-Arch Splash Guards/Shields. Thicker (Heavier Guage) Steel on the two Front Strut-Towers. Additional Spot Weldings around both door Openings for increased Rigidity. Stiffened Body Shell = Torsional (twisting) and Flexural (bending) Rigidity have been increased by 5.4 and 8.7 per cent respectively. Auto's and Manual's both have 6 port engines, Max Power RPM (kw) has been limited to 7500 for Auto compared to 8200 RPM for the manual. http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=161665&page=6 .

Great car, bad build quality.
By Sad on 11/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I bought a brand new JDM import. The steering rack rattles incessantly. This has just 10,000 km on it. Sorry Mazda but this is just garbage to put it mildly. I am currently negotiating with the reluctant dealer to have the steering rack switched. Other than that the car is great. Great engine, great handling, great cabin, great looks. Comfortable too!

Oiled Out!
By Disgusted In FL on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

My experience owning this vehicle has its ups and downs. On the down side, the car burns too much oil. After an oil change, the oil light comes on 1000 miles into the oil change. I was told this was normal by the dealership on two occasions when I took it in for service. They told me to "add oil" to it and it would be fine until the next oil change. I have had more oil changes on this car in the one year that I've owned it. This car is too overpriced for what you get.

Truth
By chad on 08/21/10 09:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Here is the truth about the 2009 rx8. Fun to drive if you can afford to drive it how its meant to be driven all the time. The heavier your foot is the more oil it consumes, gas mileage is way down there, and if you don't drive it hard you risk flooding, fouling and carbon build up. Run mine hard all the time and still need to clean the spark plugs every 6,000. Trust me it helps! As far as drivabilty goes best piece of machinery I have ever driven! Handling and forgiveness is great, top end is good too, there is an extreme lack of torque though. As far as comfort, seats hold you in, but they are a little hard. This car offers the most fun for your dollar, unless you are a straight line driver.

really fun to drive
By shooz on 07/14/10 17:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

First new car I've ever owned, now 8k miles. I live in LA and it's terrific to get around town with some style, nimble on the freeways (although it has large blind-spots), and way too much fun in the canyons. Fine in rain but lousy in snow. Engine's quirky but really fun once you get used to it. Doesn't feel underpowered, but I know Mazda changed the gear ratios in 2009, I don't drive below 2800 RPM when in traffic, and I'd never consider this car as an automatic. Precise gearing/steering + sport suspension means your girlfriend probably can't do her make-up while riding shotgun. As designed it drinks oil, about 1 quart every 1k miles, no biggie. I'm 6' and have just enough headroom.

Perfect Sports Car
By james on 05/19/10 10:39 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love this car, wish it made more power, but handles great and puts a smile on my face everyday, People always comment on my car, great purchase

RX 8 Lover
By ZoomZoom210 on 04/15/10 10:14 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought my RX 8 to replace my Mazda6 that was totaled in an accident. I am a car enthusiast that was looking for something sporty and fun to drive. Well, I got both in this car. I bought the 6 speed to add to the enjoyment of driving a sports car. I also picked the Crystal White Pearl which I absolutely adore. I find this car fun and sporty! Just know that you are getting basically a two seater with suicide doors. Don't expect to haul the family around for the back seat has very limited leg room. I am averaging about 16 mpg in the city so if you can't afford Premium fuel, this car is not for you. Overall I am thrilled with my RX 8 and am a true RX 8 Lover...

Most fun I have ever had driving 500 mi.
By Tryce on 04/10/10 19:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe RX-8 R3 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Been waiting for this car since it came out in '04. Reliability issues always made me stay away and it seems Mazda has fixed most of those, so I decided to take the dive when I found one for a great deal in the color and model I wanted. Black R3. Best car I have ever driven, and I have driven a BMW M3. Don't get me wrong, it is nowhere as fast but the handling is superb. When you are on a curve that is posted for 35 and you are going 70 with no hint of body roll, that is awesome handling. I do not encourage breaking the law, btw. Low end torque bad, but once you get into the high rpm in 3rd gear, it feels like a turbo kicks in. Awesome car, not sure on reliability yet, though.

For the empty nester
By rvanparys on 03/11/10 07:13 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

Kids all gone? Maybe its time to have a little fun... The RX 8 certainly can fill that bill. I chose the car because I wanted a fun to drive car. The four doors were the selling point since we have an Old English Sheep Dog who loves rides... Unfortunately the dog can only sit in the front seat which means she stays home when my wife and I hit the road... That said, there is ample space for grandkids and adults for short trips... Handling is great and the automatic performs flawlessly. Not as fast as a 6 speed but then I am not into racing. Fit and finish is good and seats comfortable on long trips. There is a little more road noise than I would like but you can still hear the Zoom Zoom!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda RX-8 Coupe in VA is:

$147 per month*