2008 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Review: Taking it all in

2008 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Review

Sport Coupe (1.3L 6-speed Manual)

Taking it all in
By OCDaddy1958 on

2008 Mazda RX-8 Sport 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

To be sure there are many vehicles out there that can provide exhilaration, but perhaps none at this price. I guess I dare not even put out there what I paid for this base model, but let's just say my 401K is still in tact. Something important here about the RX-8: The engine in the base unit is identical to leather upholstered top end unit, and without the constraints of a traction control system. This is sheer joy as you corner like a thoroughbred, for a pony-ride price. I bought this as gas was going through the roof, and made a steal, and now that gas is reasonable, I'm having WAY to much fun for my age, but I try to control my enthusiasm when the wife and kids are on board.

This nimble beast has handling almost like the go-kart you drove as a kid. It's so phenomenal, you'll want a license frame telling others around you to "relax, it was only a lane change". To be sure, driving it IS the best feature. You'll go around traffic on the hwy like they're driving cones.

Even the gas mileage isn't that bad - get your mind away from the engine displacement (1.3L) because it means nothing - it has the same power and gas mileage as the mustang 4.0L six, and WAY better handling since unlike the 'stang with all the weight up front, an RX-8 is true 50/50 weight distributn