Used 2008 Mazda RX-8 Grand Touring Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Owned 2 years 70k miles.
By tyoung85

2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have owned my 2005 Mazda RX-8 for two years now and it is currently at 70k miles, I must say the car is an eye catcher, and very fun to drive if you don't mind a slight hesitation in acceleration! On the other hand, with the higher mileage it is falling apart, it seems everytime I go down the road I end up putting it in the shop before the week is over! First it needed plugs, but because one fouled it killed my coils, which killed my air injection....then the idle pulley failed and snapped a belt, which snapped another belt immediately after, tail lights full of water... the list goes on, all in all they are fun til they start their downhill march, then get rid of it!!

Favorite Features

Favorite features have to be the curve hugging, G-force cranking, fast shifting, high revving performance when it's running smooth and nimble in its best of days!

Suggested Improvements

Back your warranties better Mazda, also use better quality interior design as well as higher quality components under the hood to reduce this terrible issue of unreliability in higher mileage!

2 years review
By robrc51

2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have owned my RX8 now for 2 years. Overall the car is not a bad car. As a sports car I would rate the car, average. It does handle great on curvy roads but the rotary engine lacks torque. In order to accelerate you really have to rev the engine into high RPMs. The rotary engine also is terrible in gas mileage. It get between 15-19mpg….even my old V8 Corvette and Mustang got better gas mileage then the Rotary engine. In addition the rotary engine burns lots of oil. I generally fill between ½ to 1 quart each tank fill. The interior is outdated and could use a face lift.

Favorite Features

Outside design - looks,'4' doors,

Suggested Improvements

Dump the rotary engine. Update the interior.

Neck Breaker
By Ceejaayxx

2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love taking this car to the canyons. You could really feel the 50/50 balance of the rx-8 there. The cornering is perfect and the stock suspension is so beasty for stock. It looks and feels great. It can seat 4 people and it's 4 door! This car is hard to not fall in love with.

Favorite Features

Balance and Throttle response. Rotary Sound<3

Suggested Improvements

AUX AND TURBO !!! That's all.(=

Beep at 9k
By L8R

2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I've had my 2004 GT MT, putting 18k miles the 1st year, and about 3k a year since. I love it. It's nimble, quick in the power band, very responsive, hugs corners like a bear, shifts like butter, plenty of space for 4 regular size adults. Acceleration from 40 to 140 is quick in the power band and the shifter is faultless. Have not had 1 mechanical failure and I used to drive it hard. Windows down and sunroof up driving provides little wind disruption inside (although also prevents a good breeze in S Florida Temps). The stereo is excellent with good features and good sound production. The weight distribution and tossability of the car excels compared to any other vehicle costing less than 50k.

Favorite Features

Shifter. Power band acceleration at speed. Cornering and road handling. Interior design and features. 4 seats. Screams like a banshee UFO at 9k rpm. The beep it makes when you hit redline.

Suggested Improvements

Turbo or 3 rotor version. iPod jack (fixed). Should have special compartment in trunk for quarts of oil. Range on 1 tank of fuel. Lower the RPM of highway cruising in 6th gear.

RX-8
By Steve

2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have now owned this vehicle about a month. The handling is one of the best features of this vehicle. The acceleration and tracking in corners is way above what I expected. I am currently getting around 18 MPG city driving. I am a 49 year old adult and would highly recommend this vehicle

Favorite Features

The handling and acceleration I feel are the best features along with the exterior look.

Suggested Improvements

An aux port for the radio, which I understand was corrected in 2009 models. Better gas mileage, but what do you expect with a vehicle like this. You pay this kind of money for a sports car, you already know what you're getting into with MPG.