2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
ROTARY HEAVEN
By gremline91b148 on 05/14/13 19:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Sport 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

despite a few flaws like a weak clutch pedal, clutch, and rear shocks that go out at 60k the car is amazing. All of those issues are easily and cheaply fixed for those of us who are mechanics. In order to truly appreciate it you have to drive it though a curvy mountain road. I drive 100 miles a day and love every minute of it. To be fair it would benefit from more power but when you look at how a slightly used one is priced for the money you can't really complain. it is easy to add power to it any way... 0-60 is at 5.2 secs from just a few mild mods. it is an amazing machine and value.

Owned 2 years 70k miles.
By tyoung85 on 04/12/11 17:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have owned my 2005 Mazda RX-8 for two years now and it is currently at 70k miles, I must say the car is an eye catcher, and very fun to drive if you don't mind a slight hesitation in acceleration! On the other hand, with the higher mileage it is falling apart, it seems everytime I go down the road I end up putting it in the shop before the week is over! First it needed plugs, but because one fouled it killed my coils, which killed my air injection....then the idle pulley failed and snapped a belt, which snapped another belt immediately after, tail lights full of water... the list goes on, all in all they are fun til they start their downhill march, then get rid of it!!

Rotary is Not For Everyone
By WR Jones on 07/25/10 21:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe 40th Anniversary 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I bought this car as a disabled adult that needed a car with room and access for my wheelchair, the rear doors are ideal for quick storage of the chair. There are few cars sold with two doors and access for those who use a wheelchair, combine that with an auto transmission made available, Mazda allows me to drive a great sports car. Slapping the stick over to manual and using the six speed paddle shifter is the closest you will get to driving a standard stick if you use hand controls, a simply amazing experience. The difference between auto shift and manually shifting is dramatic, the car jumps to life, surprising many who have taken a ride in the car, including myself!

2 years review
By robrc51 on 06/22/10 14:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have owned my RX8 now for 2 years. Overall the car is not a bad car. As a sports car I would rate the car, average. It does handle great on curvy roads but the rotary engine lacks torque. In order to accelerate you really have to rev the engine into high RPMs. The rotary engine also is terrible in gas mileage. It get between 15-19mpg….even my old V8 Corvette and Mustang got better gas mileage then the Rotary engine. In addition the rotary engine burns lots of oil. I generally fill between ½ to 1 quart each tank fill. The interior is outdated and could use a face lift.

Neck Breaker
By Ceejaayxx on 03/21/10 20:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love taking this car to the canyons. You could really feel the 50/50 balance of the rx-8 there. The cornering is perfect and the stock suspension is so beasty for stock. It looks and feels great. It can seat 4 people and it's 4 door! This car is hard to not fall in love with.

Outstanding
By LeConte on 05/18/09 07:14 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe 40th Anniversary 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

This is my third RX 8 had a 2006 Shinka, a 2007 GT RX8 and now the 2008 40th Aniversary Edition. The looks never stop from people even from those in Porche and other sports cars. The handling is great on this one and much better than the 2007 that I had. As for the gas mileage as many before me have said who when they buy a sports car ask what the gass mileage will be. I have been driving Rotary engine cars going back to the 76 RX4 and I have never tired of driving one. All one has to do is drive one and they will know they have gotten into something special.

Taking it all in
By OCDaddy1958 on 02/10/09 21:22 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Sport 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

To be sure there are many vehicles out there that can provide exhilaration, but perhaps none at this price. I guess I dare not even put out there what I paid for this base model, but let's just say my 401K is still in tact. Something important here about the RX-8: The engine in the base unit is identical to leather upholstered top end unit, and without the constraints of a traction control system. This is sheer joy as you corner like a thoroughbred, for a pony-ride price. I bought this as gas was going through the roof, and made a steal, and now that gas is reasonable, I'm having WAY to much fun for my age, but I try to control my enthusiasm when the wife and kids are on board.

Beep at 9k
By L8R on 01/08/09 13:38 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I've had my 2004 GT MT, putting 18k miles the 1st year, and about 3k a year since. I love it. It's nimble, quick in the power band, very responsive, hugs corners like a bear, shifts like butter, plenty of space for 4 regular size adults. Acceleration from 40 to 140 is quick in the power band and the shifter is faultless. Have not had 1 mechanical failure and I used to drive it hard. Windows down and sunroof up driving provides little wind disruption inside (although also prevents a good breeze in S Florida Temps). The stereo is excellent with good features and good sound production. The weight distribution and tossability of the car excels compared to any other vehicle costing less than 50k.

40th Anniversary 6 speed
By Dartul on 11/08/08 07:39 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe 40th Anniversary 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Just bought this 2 weeks ago and have already put 1200km on it. The car is absolutely beautiful and amazing to drive. Handling is better than anything I have ever experienced and it has some get up and go once you hit the power band... all I can say is wow, thank you Mazda for this amazing car.

RX-8
By Steve on 07/05/08 17:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have now owned this vehicle about a month. The handling is one of the best features of this vehicle. The acceleration and tracking in corners is way above what I expected. I am currently getting around 18 MPG city driving. I am a 49 year old adult and would highly recommend this vehicle

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.