Used 2008 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

ROTARY HEAVEN
By gremline91b148

2008 Mazda RX-8 Sport 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

despite a few flaws like a weak clutch pedal, clutch, and rear shocks that go out at 60k the car is amazing. All of those issues are easily and cheaply fixed for those of us who are mechanics. In order to truly appreciate it you have to drive it though a curvy mountain road. I drive 100 miles a day and love every minute of it. To be fair it would benefit from more power but when you look at how a slightly used one is priced for the money you can't really complain. it is easy to add power to it any way... 0-60 is at 5.2 secs from just a few mild mods. it is an amazing machine and value.

handling

more reliable suspension and more power.

Owned 2 years 70k miles.
By tyoung85

2008 Mazda RX-8 Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have owned my 2005 Mazda RX-8 for two years now and it is currently at 70k miles, I must say the car is an eye catcher, and very fun to drive if you don't mind a slight hesitation in acceleration! On the other hand, with the higher mileage it is falling apart, it seems everytime I go down the road I end up putting it in the shop before the week is over! First it needed plugs, but because one fouled it killed my coils, which killed my air injection....then the idle pulley failed and snapped a belt, which snapped another belt immediately after, tail lights full of water... the list goes on, all in all they are fun til they start their downhill march, then get rid of it!!

Favorite features have to be the curve hugging, G-force cranking, fast shifting, high revving performance when it's running smooth and nimble in its best of days!

Back your warranties better Mazda, also use better quality interior design as well as higher quality components under the hood to reduce this terrible issue of unreliability in higher mileage!

Rotary is Not For Everyone
By WR Jones

2008 Mazda RX-8 40th Anniversary 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I bought this car as a disabled adult that needed a car with room and access for my wheelchair, the rear doors are ideal for quick storage of the chair. There are few cars sold with two doors and access for those who use a wheelchair, combine that with an auto transmission made available, Mazda allows me to drive a great sports car. Slapping the stick over to manual and using the six speed paddle shifter is the closest you will get to driving a standard stick if you use hand controls, a simply amazing experience. The difference between auto shift and manually shifting is dramatic, the car jumps to life, surprising many who have taken a ride in the car, including myself!

Seats! Paddle shifter, Go-Kart feel, Four doors without looking like it. Handling of a car costing much more, true 50/50 weight distribution. Great interior styling.

There won't be any improvements, Mazda has discontinued the RX8 in 2011 in the USA, unable or unwilling to meet new emission standards.

2 years review
By robrc51

2008 Mazda RX-8 Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have owned my RX8 now for 2 years. Overall the car is not a bad car. As a sports car I would rate the car, average. It does handle great on curvy roads but the rotary engine lacks torque. In order to accelerate you really have to rev the engine into high RPMs. The rotary engine also is terrible in gas mileage. It get between 15-19mpg….even my old V8 Corvette and Mustang got better gas mileage then the Rotary engine. In addition the rotary engine burns lots of oil. I generally fill between ½ to 1 quart each tank fill. The interior is outdated and could use a face lift.

Outside design - looks,'4' doors,

Dump the rotary engine. Update the interior.

Neck Breaker
By Ceejaayxx

2008 Mazda RX-8 Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love taking this car to the canyons. You could really feel the 50/50 balance of the rx-8 there. The cornering is perfect and the stock suspension is so beasty for stock. It looks and feels great. It can seat 4 people and it's 4 door! This car is hard to not fall in love with.

Balance and Throttle response. Rotary Sound<3