High Bar Setter
By spooledUP7 on
2007 Mazda RX-8 Sport 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)
This car sets the bar high for fun with comfort and style. Once you drive this car for a while you will find it hard to imagine finding a car that can replace it. I know because this is my second RX-8! This car is so easy to drive that you forget it is a sports car except at the pump. My daily commute is 33 miles round trip and I get around 17-19 MPG consistently which isn't bad, but it isn't great. Expect 21 MPG on long hauls going 75-90 MPH which to me is fantastic at those speeds. I have taken it on the track and it makes easy work of corners, but compared to my '93 RX-7 it feels softer (and slower), but more predictable and better balanced . Can't wait for the next one!
Favorite Features
Nimble, good steering feedback, easy to control. The interior is well placed designed and has a European feel found in $50k cars. Digital speedo is great! You learn to love it and miss it in other cars. I love to rev it to redline and feel the hop in the next gear.
Suggested Improvements
Overdrive is too short. 75 MPH is around 4K RPM and I still grab for 7th gear after all this time. Door swings shut easily. This drives me mad! You get used to it, but every so often you'll get a bump in the shin or butt. A/C should be colder, and fresh air shouldn't flow warmer than ambient.