Used 2007 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mazda RX-8

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

mazda rx8
By renata4u

2007 Mazda RX-8 Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have had a Mazda rx8 2004 which i named Christine since it wanted to kill me. I had to get a Lawyer to have them replace it. Now i have a 2007 rx8 and as the other one right at 26k miles all the emergency lights are on the dashboard and yes it is starting all over again. Jim Click does not stand behind the cars he sells and Mazda does not either unless there are Lawyers involved. Am I getting scared that this car will end up killing me ...yes I am.

Great car.
By Jamesvk

2007 Mazda RX-8 Sport 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

Well, this is my first car. I bought it about 6 months ago, and couldn't be happier. I did a lot of research about it, and found all these horror stories. But I have yet to have single problem with this car, and I am the second owner. This car gets the looks and the talk, and the performance to match. I will admit, this car is no dragster, thats not how it's designed. But the feeling of attacking every corner with unmatched precision is, just that. unmatched. These stories of flooded engines and bad seal are only if your ignorant. Check the oil, and don't floor it out of the driveway on a icy morning, and it will be fine. If you get this car, get the manual, for it has a 9k RPM red-line. :D

Favorite Features

Amazing handling, smoothness of ride, just how the car looks inside and out. Just an unique sports car, that even a kid like me could afford.

Suggested Improvements

More torque in the low end (which isn't how the Rotary engine is designed)and better fuel economy.

RX-8
By cody87hoke

2007 Mazda RX-8 Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love my car, I just got it 4 weeks ago after I got out of airborne, and it's awesome. The interior is really sport, the Bose sound system is awesome in it, its pretty quick for such a small motor, for the money you can't beat it.

Favorite Features

The rpm, the engine revs so high and just keeps going, its quick, and the interior is awesome in it.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower, the car is lacking power on take off, its power banes so high you don't get a big shove off the line

Loving the rx8 in St. Louis!
By Kris

2007 Mazda RX-8 Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I got a great deal on this car after about 2 years of research. I read everything on the oil consumption, oil weight discussion, and common problems of the vehicle. I've found that the 2007 has ironed out most of these problems and I'm having a BLAST driving it! I walk out to the garage still expecting to see my rusted out s10 I upgraded from, just to fall in love with it all over again. I have the same problems with the heated seats buttons and accidentally turning them off, the cupholders in the front are poorly placed and rarely useful because of this, but other than that, I'm pumped. It handles the STL winters no problem too.

Favorite Features

Styling, Sound System, Rotary Engine RPM's, Short throw gear box, Touring package on the whole, and seating for 4 adults.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy (but c'mon, it is a sports car), heated seats buttons, cup holder placements.

The Practical Sports Car
By Gripen

2007 Mazda RX-8 Sport 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Bought this car used w/ 7500mi. The car, as of this writing, has just over 20k miles. Have not had any reason to take the car in for unscheduled visits to a mechanic. Best fuel mileage was 24.63mpg doing a constant 75mph on the freeway the day after I purchased the vehicle. Daily commuting in traffic has resulted in 16-17mpg six months later. Requires more attention on maintenance (checking oil level every other fill-up, premix to preserve apex seals, spark plug replacement should be more frequent than manufacturer's specification) compared to other vehicles in its class. Regardless of this and the abysmal fuel mileage, I have enjoyed my purchase. A very willing dance partner on a good road.

Favorite Features

Unique styling, usable rear seats, rotary engine, strong brakes, pedal placement is excellent for heel and toe footwork, instrument panel lighting, good headlight coverage for high and low (halogen), no electronic "nannies", steering feel, and well-bolstered seats.

Suggested Improvements

Paint chips too easily (Crystal White Pearl), fuel mileage, oil filter difficult to get to, a more potent A/C, and spark plug life.