2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Quirky and Loads of Fun
By RX8LA on 08/14/06 14:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I may be a bit biased as I inherited my mom's 1984 RX-7 as my first car. It was light on its feet, smooth, high revving and nimble as a go cart - so is the RX-8. The car isn't super fast, especially from a dead stop, but it has lots of pep and is plenty fast as long as winning drag races isn't high on your must-have list. The handling is wonderful and the car looks great inside and out. The nav system can fold away if you don't want the screen to show, and the Bose stereo can get painfully loud. This is the first car where I can't stand to turn the stereo to max. Negatives - fuel economy is SUVish and the car gets hot inside from the engine. The A/C can barely keep up on a hot, sunny day.

Not an RX7, probably a good thing!
By DARKCANUCK on 08/04/06 15:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I was feeling sentimental for my twin turbo RX7 when I bought this. There is a familiarity to it, but quite clearly not the same car. Like me I think it's a bit better behaved and more pleasant to live with day in and out now. I have had no mechanical complaints. Fuel economy and oil consumption are part of the "experience" of the rotary, but would have liked a larger fuel tank to compensate. I've also owned a TT and while the RX is not up to that in terms of fit finish and style, it's more fun to drive, has room for my kids and is a lot less money!

Warning
By ziggy on 07/24/06 17:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have unintentionally redlined this vehicle many times as the engine as far as I can tell does not sound like it is over revving even when the rpm's are in the redline This forces me to inconveniently keep my eye on the tach more often than in a car with a conventional engine. I do not get the advertised fuel economy which was low in the first place when compared to a car with a conventional engine for the same h.p.

Almost Perfect
By TheBark on 07/23/06 17:22 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Fun to drive and I actually fit into it, the RX8 is an almost perfect sports car. There are a few things quality wise that could be improved (why are the visors still an issue going into the fourth production year?), but overall, it's a combination of sportiness and practicality, not to mention superb handling, that makes this such a great vehicle. And unlike those hideous Mustangs, you don't see one at every stop-light which is something of a plus, too.

Mazdalicious!
By Nick on 07/20/06 12:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I've happily owned this RX8 for just over six months now and enjoyed every moment. This is my first rotary engined car and I'm just amaze at how smooth and quick it is. This is a really fun machine to own and not only does it look good (I constantly get comments that say "wow, sharp car - what is it?") but its performance backs it up. How they squeeze over 200 hp from 1.3 liters I can't begin to guess but with so few moving parts (like 3 in the engine) it's not surprising. I fully recommend this car as an undermarketed bargain!

disappointed
By Ziggy on 07/14/06 14:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Expecting better fuel economy over the previous generation; still very poor for the power output compared to conventional engine. Need to regularly keep eye on rpm to know when to shift gears. Engine does not give audible sound that I am aware of when to shift gears which is distracting. I have unintentionally red lined many times. Overrated specs along with total dealer denials; one that car was over heating and refused to address.

The Best
By Run on 07/05/06 21:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Don't think that this is a waste of money. This car has done a lot for me. I had a Honda and it broke down. So I decided to buy a Mazda; since the day I bought it my life driving a car has been great compared to drivina a Honda. It might be pricey but I can say it was worth it.

Great RX-8
By NEM on 06/28/06 19:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

So far love this car. Wonderful handling and cornering, excellent acceleration, reasonably comfortable. Unique engine sound grows on you. Try this car out if you can find one and get ready to enjoy. Not great on fuel mileage, but it is a sports car. It can carry two in the rear seat for at least a couple hour trip, and there is space in the trunk so it is practical. Excellent Bose sound system too. A great combo of practical and performance.

The Very Best Sports Coupe
By Rotary Rider on 06/16/06 20:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is the most fun you can have on 4 wheels (driving). The handling is superb (rivals or surpasses Porsche's Boxster or Cayman) like a four wheeled motor cycle; and the compact Wankel (rotary) engine provides a unique kind of performance that no piston engine can. Which is why this car is slandered in other reviews (even in the motor mags): first, it's normal for a Wankel to consume oil (like a two cycle engine); second, it is simply crazy to compare it to a piston engine's low end torque (its power delivery is much more like a turbine's). That's why a rotary really needs a six speed manual (don't let the revs drop below 3000, keep it "on a boil") and listen to the music as it winds to 8000.

Don't judge this car by looks alone
By rick salzer on 05/31/06 19:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I own this car and it has not even come close to the expectations I had for it. It looks great. But that is it. Performance is poor, it is slow, and finally it has not been very reliable at all. The starter has been a constant problem in the cold weather. The electrical system has given me problems. The tire pressure monitoring system has given me problems. If I could do it over again, I would absolutely never buy this car again. After my experience with the manufacturer, I will never buy another Mazda for that matter.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.