Used 2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Tires
By Joyce

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I really love this car. It is so fun to drive and really turns heads, but I can't keep tires on it. Bought in July 06 I now have 13K on it & on 3rd set of tires. Dealer can't help me, Mazda can't help me. I cant afford to put tires on this car every 4 to 7K miles.I do not spin them or drive recklessly. I am going to have to sell it. I am just sick over it, I love everything about the car, but at $500/2 tires I dont know what else to do. The dealership doesnt know if this is the expected life for tires on this car or not?? I bought this car for my 40th B.d. I'm really going to miss it. If this problem is just with my car I wish they'd fix it for me!

Curvy, sassy body style, the red is so beautiful, handles great, cool dash lights

Better gas mileage, I really miss having onstar, I need to get at least 25k out of a set of $500 tires. Sun visors are cheap, Mazda dealership is very unhelpful. They treat me like I am stupid. Mazda Corp. even worse, waste of time calling them.

Kick in the Pants
By Blackhawkbill007

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I have this car for a couple of weeks and this car is awesome. I was looking for something that was sporty and fun, and I found it with the RX-8. I was a little shocked about the actual MPG (so far 16 MPG after two fuelings) but the handling is incredible. I have got it up to 123 mph so far and it handled like an Indy car. If somebody is looking for a sports car that is not the dime a dozen then this is it. Everybody that has seen it has been impressed and the back seats believe it or not are roomy. So if you are 30 something not ready to commit to a family car then this is perfect. You can fit the car seat when needed and take it out and have fun whenever you want.

Paddle shifters, looks, handling, and overall it is just FUN!!! This car makes the morning commute fun.

Would love to see better fuel mileage.

Excellent car
By Cliff

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is amazing. Great all around car. For everyone out there that talks about lack of torque, buy a big block. This car is like a turbo car. Power is there when you need it; all you have to do is shift (part of the fun). Fuel economy?? This is a sports car! Buy a hybrid if fuel is a major concern. If you want a good "all around" car that seats 4 and is a blast to drive, the RX-8 is it.

Everything.

Simple. Hope Mazda reads this. Make a 3 or 4 rotor standard on all cars. Fuel saving feature; run on one rotor for light driving, 2nd rotor "kicks in" for modest acceleration and, all 3 or 4 fire for that "need to pass". It is the same concept of turning off 3-4 pistons on a v6 or v8.

My RX-8 Review
By Mr Rotary

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is a very fun animal to drive. Performance could be a little bit better on the engine side: there's no torque or power at the lower RPMs until you hit 5k or more. Too bad there's no turbo, I miss the old RX-7s. As with all rotary powered cars, fuel economy is awful. Interior design is really good but the chairs can't recline all the way when I want to lay down and there's no lumbar support. The reason for an 8 on reliability is because I had to bring it in for three different recalls and this thing EATS OIL! Rotary engines consume a lot of oil, I had to add oil to it every 3k miles.

High redline rotary engine, superior suspension, four doors, the way it turns heads ^_^

Fuel economy, power, comfort.

Fun to drive, but not enough power
By NRutkowski

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The car handles well and is fun to drive around corners. The problem is the lack of real power. Be prepared to downshift several gears to get any usable power. Gas mileage is another big concern. I am getting an average of 18-20 MPG, and I drive mostly on the highway. Everything inside the car in positioned well and within reach (though the digital speedo does take some getting used to). Overall, it is a great car with the lack of passing power and fuel consumption being the only real concerns.