2006 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Run Away From This Car
By gdcinthebigD on 01/27/07 10:41 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

The RX-8 is a beautiful piece of sculpture but is useless for city living. I love the look of this car and the handling but didn't expect the gas mileage of a Hummer (11 miles per gallon). Mazda says the engine is running correctly. Plus the requirement to make sure the engine is warmed to mid-line before turning it off is ridiculous. In order to run to the store or the post office I have to drive 6 blocks out of my way or wonder if the car will start the next day. I researched this car to death and found little mention of either of these issues. Do yourself a favor - buy something with a piston engine.

Excellent value
By Nergal on 01/24/07 19:00 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have the pleasure of owning an 06 Shinka, & it is one of the best values around. Comfort, engine response, appearance, price and overall package can't be beat. Handles like a dream! Smooth M6. Gets more looks than my BMW did, and it costs much less to maintain. Great handling and convenience package offered in the Shinka.

Fun, Fun, & More Fun!
By GRX8 on 12/27/06 12:07 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I was looking for a sportscar that was reasonably priced, fun to drive, roomy enough to move 4 adults if necessary and not seen on every corner like the Z or Mustangs. Well, lucky for me I came across the RX8. This car is all of the above and more. It's not the fastest car around, but its handling makes up for it, and it is very fun to drive.

From Experience
By bballincO2 on 12/17/06 18:09 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Great car, reliable, fuel efficient. This car has worked great for me on and off the track (yea, I race). Great car.

Way under-rated auto/Fun to drive car!
By De Groot on 12/05/06 02:00 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

This is my 6th car, 5th brand new car. I had to give up a manual, knee problems, and give up a car I just loved, an Infiniti G20 1996. I wanted something that would be different so I wouldn't compare, something fun so I wouldn't miss the G20. Ha! I got it! This car is fun enjoyment. And it's a car I fit into. I never thought it would accommodate my 6'4" frame. You feel the road and it really hugs the road. At highway speeds it's as smooth a ride as the G20. The handling is sure and real responsive. My favorite stretch of Highway 1 was no disappointment with this car, handling the switchback and tight curves with a sure footing. This car seems capable to give more than it is asked to give.

Lovin' the ride
By Manatnac on 10/17/06 18:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is my third rotary and it is great. I have had no problems, it's fun to drive and has all the passing power I need. Corners so well, shifts easily, smooth power, and is so beautiful to look at. The sound system is good too. Not a window blowing sound but certainly adequate for the small interior. Many do add woofers and amps but that is a personal choice. The fit and finish of body parts is tight, the brakes are strong, and the styling is unique. I am a satisfied customer.

A Steal 2
By J Chin on 09/26/06 10:25 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Just got one last week and I can't stop driving it. Definitely a one of a kind car - rotary engine. Can't wait till I break it in - then I can start having some real fun with the 9000 RPM redline. Still can't get over the looks I get when I'm slowly cruising down the street.

New owner
By Mark G on 09/23/06 17:56 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I just took delivery of my 06 base RX8 6M. Researched the coupe market to death and ended up with the RX8, Ford Mustang GT and Nissan 350Z shortlist. Need 4 seats so Nissan went out. The Mustang went when I knew that the refinement of the RX8 and its looks had won me over. I was concerned about the fuel consumption and cold start procedure but once I drove it home I knew I could live with both of these minor quirks. The look and driving experience are just out of this price league. You can spend twice as much and not get the same feel all round. It is a breath-taking beauty! I got one of the last 06 models at a great price & dealership were excellent.

A Steal
By Paul Bray on 09/12/06 07:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is an absolute steal. I was sold on the 350Z and ready to buy, but felt that I needed to compare to at least one other car. After test driving both, even though it was a cosmic shift, I couldn't buy the Z. The RX-8 is one of the most fun cars I've ever driven - it's my first rotary, and the smooth, almost electric feel of the engine is beautiful and highly responsive. Take a look at the low reviews - they are primarily from people who seem to have trouble red-lining a car that can go to almost 9K rpms. If you've ever driven a stick and/or have normal hearing, this isn't a problem at all - and one reviewer with red-lining problems also complained about fuel economy - correlation?

Jammin Coupe!
By rx8bear on 08/17/06 05:51 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love this car! The car is an unbelievable value for the money. It drives and handles like a dream. It is built as solid as a tank and the fit and finish are superb. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.