2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Mazda RX8 AT GT
By Rotary Owner on 05/25/08 10:03 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

Beautiful car, fun to drive, but not quite there yet. I waited until 2006 to get mine so Mazda could work out the kinks of a new design, but I had many of the same problems found in the 04s. If you buy, buy used after seeing a report of repairs - some cars are great, some cars are bad, there doesn't seem to be an in-between. Buy a used one with 30K - 40K miles and that didn't have its engine replaced and you should be happy. And above all else, don't buy a 6-speed AT - the transmission won't let the car rev high enough to burn out the carbon build out. I love rotaries, but they should be MT, so I'm selling this one and keeping to my '79 RX-7 for my rotary fun (still running).

The RX8 Rocks
By MaryAnn Allison on 05/09/08 11:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I've had my RX8 for almost 2 years. It is both automatic and manual. It looks great and handles like a dream. Looks like a sophisticated sports car and has a back seat. I've never had anything malfunction so far. The gas mileage is poor but it is worth it. 100% satisfied

I love this car
By Opus37 on 04/11/08 06:58 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I purchased an RX8 after driving a lot of similar sports cars. This one just feels right. The rotory engine sounds wonderful and has plenty of power. This handles like a dream even at over 150 mph. (it goes faster than that). I smile every time I'm driving it. I can get up to 25 mpg on the road or down to 16 mpg if I drive agressively. The ride is a little softer than other sports cars but that does not affect handling. It improves the ride.

not in the snow
By iowa mike on 03/22/08 07:18 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Loved the car except I live in Iowa and the car should not and in some cases cannot be driven in the snow. Had problems getting up even the smallest grade when streets were the least slick. Tires are very sticky and that added to handling, but the down side is they only last about 10K miles. Overall loved the car (my third rx) but it had some problems that were too much for me to handle in the winter. Anywhere without snow, this vehicle kicks. Wish they offered a convertible.

More Power, Please
By Bobby on 01/28/08 12:23 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Ive had the car now for 2 months, and ive noticed some rattles and loose body parts on the interior of the vehicle. I enjoy driving the car alot, but as much as i enjoy driving this car the gas mileage is very poor. The power is there if your not a lazy driver. I noticed that you have to keep it above 4000 Rpm for the real power to kick in, the power kicks in 2 stages. 1st at 5000 Rpm and at 7500 Rpm....

Tires
By Joyce on 12/20/07 17:35 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I really love this car. It is so fun to drive and really turns heads, but I can't keep tires on it. Bought in July 06 I now have 13K on it & on 3rd set of tires. Dealer can't help me, Mazda can't help me. I cant afford to put tires on this car every 4 to 7K miles.I do not spin them or drive recklessly. I am going to have to sell it. I am just sick over it, I love everything about the car, but at $500/2 tires I dont know what else to do. The dealership doesnt know if this is the expected life for tires on this car or not?? I bought this car for my 40th B.d. I'm really going to miss it. If this problem is just with my car I wish they'd fix it for me!

Kick in the Pants
By Blackhawkbill007 on 12/09/07 19:03 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I have this car for a couple of weeks and this car is awesome. I was looking for something that was sporty and fun, and I found it with the RX-8. I was a little shocked about the actual MPG (so far 16 MPG after two fuelings) but the handling is incredible. I have got it up to 123 mph so far and it handled like an Indy car. If somebody is looking for a sports car that is not the dime a dozen then this is it. Everybody that has seen it has been impressed and the back seats believe it or not are roomy. So if you are 30 something not ready to commit to a family car then this is perfect. You can fit the car seat when needed and take it out and have fun whenever you want.

Excellent car
By Cliff on 09/26/07 20:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is amazing. Great all around car. For everyone out there that talks about lack of torque, buy a big block. This car is like a turbo car. Power is there when you need it; all you have to do is shift (part of the fun). Fuel economy?? This is a sports car! Buy a hybrid if fuel is a major concern. If you want a good "all around" car that seats 4 and is a blast to drive, the RX-8 is it.

My RX-8 Review
By Mr Rotary on 05/14/07 17:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This is a very fun animal to drive. Performance could be a little bit better on the engine side: there's no torque or power at the lower RPMs until you hit 5k or more. Too bad there's no turbo, I miss the old RX-7s. As with all rotary powered cars, fuel economy is awful. Interior design is really good but the chairs can't recline all the way when I want to lay down and there's no lumbar support. The reason for an 8 on reliability is because I had to bring it in for three different recalls and this thing EATS OIL! Rotary engines consume a lot of oil, I had to add oil to it every 3k miles.

Fun to drive, but not enough power
By NRutkowski on 04/12/07 06:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

The car handles well and is fun to drive around corners. The problem is the lack of real power. Be prepared to downshift several gears to get any usable power. Gas mileage is another big concern. I am getting an average of 18-20 MPG, and I drive mostly on the highway. Everything inside the car in positioned well and within reach (though the digital speedo does take some getting used to). Overall, it is a great car with the lack of passing power and fuel consumption being the only real concerns.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.