Used 2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Amazing car....
By tjausti

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is amazing.... It is like no other car I have owned. It is fun, sporty, sexy and fast. It may not be the fastest in a straight line but if you are concerned about that you have missed the point of this car. I live in east TN where there are twisty roads everywhere. This car is as close as you are going to get to perfect handling for the money. my only concern is gas mileage. mazda really needs to spend some time on this. I understand this engine is in a high state of tune and it is a sports car but averaging 18mpg is pretty sad when you drive mostly highway. Before buying this car please read the FAQs page on RX8club dot com. there are many things that are unique to this car.

Fantastic handling, Great fit and finish, Cheap insurance! (listed as a 4door 2 cyl 1.3 liter), A true sports car for people that cannot live with a 2 seater.... There is not a single thing I would change about this car.

Gas mileage is pretty poor, but it is a sports car that is a blast to drive... I still love it even if it is thirsty....

Quirky Fun
By Denny

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

After a few years - Still tons of fun to drive, but not good for heavy traffic commuting. Don't drive it on snow or ice - you will die. On the other hand, its a great road trip car and the handling is amazing. Turns and stops better than anything I've ever driven. It will do a decent 0- 60 if you are willing to abuse the gearbox and clutch, but why? The thing really turns on above 5,000 rpm and is a hoot. It took some time and practice to learn how to maximize the performance, but once you figure out the engine it is the easiest car to drive fast that I've ever experienced.

Surprisingly comfortable, and everything is in the right place. Interesting looks. The front end is wonderfully styled for my taste.

The tail lights look like kitchen appliances. Sure would be nice to have another rotor or two in the engine

Cool Car
By JW79

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Tons of fun to drive + has turned a lot of heads. I have had many compliments on the design from friends and strangers alike. A police officer told me to roll down my window + I figured my sticker was past due or I had committed an infraction + instead he inquired about the car and told me how much he liked it. The handling is great! Tons of fun around corners and curves. It should be a little faster off the line + this is a significant drawback considering the horsepower + the poor gas mileage. At first I was unsure about the lines but now I love the look. I love the suicide doors + at least 3 adults can fit in the car as long as everyone isn't tall. You need snow tires bad in the snow!

It's a lot of fun to drive. It's quick + handles the curves beautifully. It's very agile. I also love the way the car looks inside and out. It's dark gray with tan and black leather seats. The two-tone leather seats look fantastic. In many ways looks and feels like a car that's much more expensive.

The gas mileage is poor! However, the small rotary engine is largely responsible for the great handling. A car that goes 148 MPH should be faster off the line! When I fill up the tank the automatic shut off at gas stations doesn't stop. It overflows with gas. I have to watch it.

Awesome Car!!!
By aljor042

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

Just bought my 06 RX-8 GT with 30k miles on it and am loving it. Test drove one and fell in love immediately. The handling is amazing, it is unlike anything in its price range. The engine has plenty of power don't worry about what everybody is saying about a lack of power, this thing will move! Gas mileage isn't all that bad either I got 25 mpg on a 300 mi trip with the cruise set on 80.

Handling, seats, bose audio, sunroof, keyless ignition, black and red interior is awesome.

Flooding issues.

This is different.
By buteman

2006 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I honestly could not see myself in one of these cars, but I'm really enjoying the experience. Perhaps with just buying this lovely car I'm not quite qualified to offer an opinion but here is my initial impressions. I was fortunate to find a low mileage ( 25k,in kilometers ) GT model with the luxury package and automatic ( wife needs auto. ) We took it for a good run on a winding highway,,,,wow, it has more than enough power for me ( I'm 64 ) the handling was great, the paddle shifters are great fun, so smooth a ride. The interior is so luxurious and very comfortable, oh sure it sucked some fuel but that is a known fact with this car and that's the price you pay,,no big deal. Nice car !!

It's just so much fun to drive. Paddle shifters two thumbs up there. The interior at nightime, the drivers information center.

I won't really comment on the high fuel consumption, if you need better fuel mileage buy something else. The only negative item I found was the blindspot, so take care when changing lanes.