2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Awesome Car!!!
By aljor042

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

Just bought my 06 RX-8 GT with 30k miles on it and am loving it. Test drove one and fell in love immediately. The handling is amazing, it is unlike anything in its price range. The engine has plenty of power don't worry about what everybody is saying about a lack of power, this thing will move! Gas mileage isn't all that bad either I got 25 mpg on a 300 mi trip with the cruise set on 80.

Favorite Features

Handling, seats, bose audio, sunroof, keyless ignition, black and red interior is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Flooding issues.

This is different.
By buteman

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I honestly could not see myself in one of these cars, but I'm really enjoying the experience. Perhaps with just buying this lovely car I'm not quite qualified to offer an opinion but here is my initial impressions. I was fortunate to find a low mileage ( 25k,in kilometers ) GT model with the luxury package and automatic ( wife needs auto. ) We took it for a good run on a winding highway,,,,wow, it has more than enough power for me ( I'm 64 ) the handling was great, the paddle shifters are great fun, so smooth a ride. The interior is so luxurious and very comfortable, oh sure it sucked some fuel but that is a known fact with this car and that's the price you pay,,no big deal. Nice car !!

Favorite Features

It's just so much fun to drive. Paddle shifters two thumbs up there. The interior at nightime, the drivers information center.

Suggested Improvements

I won't really comment on the high fuel consumption, if you need better fuel mileage buy something else. The only negative item I found was the blindspot, so take care when changing lanes.

2006 RX8 Grand Touring A.T.
By Fantastic RX8

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

Great Car and talk about fun to drive!!! I bought mine used with 34000 miles on it. Fully loaded with every option available. The 6 speed A/T is excellent and what makes it even more fun is the paddle shifting. The handling is positive and very responsive. The ride is smooth and not stiff. The rotary engine is smooth and responsive. No need to rev it to 9000 rpm (red line) that's just crazy and asking for a early engine death. All I can say is, "I'm going to have a lot of fun driving my RX8". :-) You guys out there have fun with yours as well and take care! 22-23mpg mainly city driving.

Favorite Features

DSC (Dynamic Stability Control)Tight suspension, Plenty of horsepower (212) Navigation system is great. Heated seats are great for the early morning commute. Bose stereo system is excellent!

Suggested Improvements

Additional gauges would be nice. Charging system, Average mpg display.

Mazda RX8 AT GT
By Rotary Owner

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

Beautiful car, fun to drive, but not quite there yet. I waited until 2006 to get mine so Mazda could work out the kinks of a new design, but I had many of the same problems found in the 04s. If you buy, buy used after seeing a report of repairs - some cars are great, some cars are bad, there doesn't seem to be an in-between. Buy a used one with 30K - 40K miles and that didn't have its engine replaced and you should be happy. And above all else, don't buy a 6-speed AT - the transmission won't let the car rev high enough to burn out the carbon build out. I love rotaries, but they should be MT, so I'm selling this one and keeping to my '79 RX-7 for my rotary fun (still running).

Favorite Features

Exterior design, fun factor.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic transmission, engine mounts, brakes, tires.

The RX8 Rocks
By MaryAnn Allison

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I've had my RX8 for almost 2 years. It is both automatic and manual. It looks great and handles like a dream. Looks like a sophisticated sports car and has a back seat. I've never had anything malfunction so far. The gas mileage is poor but it is worth it. 100% satisfied

Tires
By Joyce

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I really love this car. It is so fun to drive and really turns heads, but I can't keep tires on it. Bought in July 06 I now have 13K on it & on 3rd set of tires. Dealer can't help me, Mazda can't help me. I cant afford to put tires on this car every 4 to 7K miles.I do not spin them or drive recklessly. I am going to have to sell it. I am just sick over it, I love everything about the car, but at $500/2 tires I dont know what else to do. The dealership doesnt know if this is the expected life for tires on this car or not?? I bought this car for my 40th B.d. I'm really going to miss it. If this problem is just with my car I wish they'd fix it for me!

Favorite Features

Curvy, sassy body style, the red is so beautiful, handles great, cool dash lights

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, I really miss having onstar, I need to get at least 25k out of a set of $500 tires. Sun visors are cheap, Mazda dealership is very unhelpful. They treat me like I am stupid. Mazda Corp. even worse, waste of time calling them.

Kick in the Pants
By Blackhawkbill007

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I have this car for a couple of weeks and this car is awesome. I was looking for something that was sporty and fun, and I found it with the RX-8. I was a little shocked about the actual MPG (so far 16 MPG after two fuelings) but the handling is incredible. I have got it up to 123 mph so far and it handled like an Indy car. If somebody is looking for a sports car that is not the dime a dozen then this is it. Everybody that has seen it has been impressed and the back seats believe it or not are roomy. So if you are 30 something not ready to commit to a family car then this is perfect. You can fit the car seat when needed and take it out and have fun whenever you want.

Favorite Features

Paddle shifters, looks, handling, and overall it is just FUN!!! This car makes the morning commute fun.

Suggested Improvements

Would love to see better fuel mileage.

Run Away From This Car
By gdcinthebigD

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

The RX-8 is a beautiful piece of sculpture but is useless for city living. I love the look of this car and the handling but didn't expect the gas mileage of a Hummer (11 miles per gallon). Mazda says the engine is running correctly. Plus the requirement to make sure the engine is warmed to mid-line before turning it off is ridiculous. In order to run to the store or the post office I have to drive 6 blocks out of my way or wonder if the car will start the next day. I researched this car to death and found little mention of either of these issues. Do yourself a favor - buy something with a piston engine.

Favorite Features

Exterior design - absolutely flawless. Handling is amazing.

Suggested Improvements

Rip out the rotary and put in a piston engine.

Fun, Fun, & More Fun!
By GRX8

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I was looking for a sportscar that was reasonably priced, fun to drive, roomy enough to move 4 adults if necessary and not seen on every corner like the Z or Mustangs. Well, lucky for me I came across the RX8. This car is all of the above and more. It's not the fastest car around, but its handling makes up for it, and it is very fun to drive.

Favorite Features

The handling, the paddle shifters on the steering wheel and the sound and smoothness of the rotary engine.

Suggested Improvements

MPG could and should definitely be improved. Then again, it is a sports car.

Way under-rated auto/Fun to drive car!
By De Groot

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

This is my 6th car, 5th brand new car. I had to give up a manual, knee problems, and give up a car I just loved, an Infiniti G20 1996. I wanted something that would be different so I wouldn't compare, something fun so I wouldn't miss the G20. Ha! I got it! This car is fun enjoyment. And it's a car I fit into. I never thought it would accommodate my 6'4" frame. You feel the road and it really hugs the road. At highway speeds it's as smooth a ride as the G20. The handling is sure and real responsive. My favorite stretch of Highway 1 was no disappointment with this car, handling the switchback and tight curves with a sure footing. This car seems capable to give more than it is asked to give.

Favorite Features

I wish I could drive the manual. This car is meant to be a stick, alas I can't be that driver. The sound of the rotary engine as it smoothly purrs. The quiet, seductive wonderful looks of a car that has a surprising amount of room. The engine that just wants to keep giving the more you ask of it.

Suggested Improvements

The RX-8 is a wonderful merge of power and design. A bit more head room. I am still amazed I fit, but on large road bumps my head can bump the roof. A higher center console for more storage space, power rear windows. The change I think you really need to do is a bigger gas tank. An amazing car!