2006 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:
Amazing car....
By tjausti on 09/09/11 20:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

This car is amazing.... It is like no other car I have owned. It is fun, sporty, sexy and fast. It may not be the fastest in a straight line but if you are concerned about that you have missed the point of this car. I live in east TN where there are twisty roads everywhere. This car is as close as you are going to get to perfect handling for the money. my only concern is gas mileage. mazda really needs to spend some time on this. I understand this engine is in a high state of tune and it is a sports car but averaging 18mpg is pretty sad when you drive mostly highway. Before buying this car please read the FAQs page on RX8club dot com. there are many things that are unique to this car.

Quirky Fun
By Denny on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

After a few years - Still tons of fun to drive, but not good for heavy traffic commuting. Don't drive it on snow or ice - you will die. On the other hand, its a great road trip car and the handling is amazing. Turns and stops better than anything I've ever driven. It will do a decent 0- 60 if you are willing to abuse the gearbox and clutch, but why? The thing really turns on above 5,000 rpm and is a hoot. It took some time and practice to learn how to maximize the performance, but once you figure out the engine it is the easiest car to drive fast that I've ever experienced.

Cool Car
By JW79 on 08/03/10 20:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Tons of fun to drive + has turned a lot of heads. I have had many compliments on the design from friends and strangers alike. A police officer told me to roll down my window + I figured my sticker was past due or I had committed an infraction + instead he inquired about the car and told me how much he liked it. The handling is great! Tons of fun around corners and curves. It should be a little faster off the line + this is a significant drawback considering the horsepower + the poor gas mileage. At first I was unsure about the lines but now I love the look. I love the suicide doors + at least 3 adults can fit in the car as long as everyone isn't tall. You need snow tires bad in the snow!

Awesome Car!!!
By aljor042 on 01/27/10 18:47 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

Just bought my 06 RX-8 GT with 30k miles on it and am loving it. Test drove one and fell in love immediately. The handling is amazing, it is unlike anything in its price range. The engine has plenty of power don't worry about what everybody is saying about a lack of power, this thing will move! Gas mileage isn't all that bad either I got 25 mpg on a 300 mi trip with the cruise set on 80.

This is different.
By buteman on 01/22/10 05:17 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

I honestly could not see myself in one of these cars, but I'm really enjoying the experience. Perhaps with just buying this lovely car I'm not quite qualified to offer an opinion but here is my initial impressions. I was fortunate to find a low mileage ( 25k,in kilometers ) GT model with the luxury package and automatic ( wife needs auto. ) We took it for a good run on a winding highway,,,,wow, it has more than enough power for me ( I'm 64 ) the handling was great, the paddle shifters are great fun, so smooth a ride. The interior is so luxurious and very comfortable, oh sure it sucked some fuel but that is a known fact with this car and that's the price you pay,,no big deal. Nice car !!

2006 RX8 Grand Touring A.T.
By Fantastic RX8 on 12/01/09 14:43 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

Great Car and talk about fun to drive!!! I bought mine used with 34000 miles on it. Fully loaded with every option available. The 6 speed A/T is excellent and what makes it even more fun is the paddle shifting. The handling is positive and very responsive. The ride is smooth and not stiff. The rotary engine is smooth and responsive. No need to rev it to 9000 rpm (red line) that's just crazy and asking for a early engine death. All I can say is, "I'm going to have a lot of fun driving my RX8". :-) You guys out there have fun with yours as well and take care! 22-23mpg mainly city driving.

RX-8 Delivers Maximum Smiles per Mile!!!
By Froggy RX-8 on 10/31/09 22:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Test drove RX-8, fell in love at 9,000 rpm redline, bought on spot. Screams like a 4-seat F-1 car. This canyon carver runs down M-3s, 911s, and occasional Lambo on CA P.C.H. Hwy 1. Driven 36,000 miles so far, very reliable, comfy seats, compliant ride, good Bose stereo. Not lazy to drive like Chevy V-8. You MUST adapt your driving style to get max speed. Keep it from 5,000 to 9,000 rpm and rotary happily howls. Tiny low weight engine allows for mounting low and rearward in chassis for near mid-engine balance, low center of gravity. Rotary uses oil to lube its seals so top off oil at about five gas fill- ups. 17-20 MPG fine for fast car. If you need big mpg skip all sports cars.

Two kinds of RX8 owners
By Apexman on 02/02/09 13:59 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have an '06 RX8 with the six-speed manual. I wouldn't even consider the automatic because it's down on power (212hp for '06/197hp on '04 and '05 models- pathetic considering the manual has 238hp and redlines 1500rpm higher). Basic things to know before buying: rotaries consume more oil (check often) and gas than similar-sized piston engines. Standing-start acceleration is underwhelming but from 30mph and up, watch out! Rotaries need to be revved above 5000rpm to get the best performance. Run the car for at least 5mins to avoid flooding the engine. Handling on this car is phenomenal, a renowned Mazda trait. Car is not designed for snow/ice so don't bother driving in it.

Quiet Kicks
By Fun at the Wheel on 01/12/09 23:33 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have owned a sports car of one type or another for the last 25 years. The RX-8 rocks. I have had mine to 155 mph and it feels like it's glued to the road. It's humorous for the Toyota dudes and the Mercedes sweeties to challenge it. The only thing that comes close is a Mustang GT until you get into the first turn. Then you will see them in the rear view. The Porsche, BMW sports models are plusher but more sluggish in the turns. The Hondas are not in the same league and Nissan Zs. The car can handle a turn like no other. Some complaints regarding the car are the gas mileage (find another car that gets good gas mileage and can go 175+.) For under 30k new you can't beat it.

not bad, if you can spend the money
By chris on 06/13/08 19:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

First off this car is a blast to drive. Handles very well. I average around 18 mpg in mine and it is on premium fuel. I personally haven't had any reliability issues, but I go easy on the rotary. Plenty of aftermarket parts available for it and turns heads everywhere. Overall a great car if you're willing to spend a little more on gas and maintanance.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.