2005 Mazda RX-8 1.3L 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - In it for the looks

2005 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Review

Automatic Coupe (1.3L 4-speed Automatic)

In it for the looks
By Florida on

2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I wanted to own a great looking sports car at least once before I was too old and would look silly in one. I had been a committed Accord owner for 20 years (cannot say enough about their great reliability.) But I love the way the RX 8 looks and I get compliments on it. It is fun to drive, but that blast off that I got on acceleration, which really sold me on this car, was lost after taking it to the dealer in response to some recall notice a couple years ago. They adjusted something and it was never the same. Anytime I go to the dealer for odd noises, the only thing they do is say it's my fault because I used regular grade gas. Car was recently idling with loud vibration. Coils! only 28K mi

Favorite Features

Appearance. Can drive as automatic or manual shift. It's the sportiest looking car with a back seat for the money. Cool doors. Seat warmers! (It was 37 deg in FL last week.) Decent trunk space, but design of opening is small and prevents many things from going in even tho there is space inside.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a coat hook! Only a 25 cent item and I've missed having it since day one. People who drive sports cars still need to hang up dry cleaning. Gas mileage poor. Paint chips VERY easily. Don't ever just back car out of garage and turn off engine. Manual warns it will not restart. They mean it!