Read before you buy a 2005 Maxda RX8
By firebabe on
2005 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)
The rotary engine is horrible, you have to treat it like a diesel in cold weather which we didn't know and got it flooded. It ended up costing us $1500 to finally get it started and to help prevent it from happening again but now I want rid of it. Check engine light is on all the time and no one knows why. It now sounds bad and every one is now telling me after owning it for 6 months with 69,000 that the rotary engine don't live past 60,000. I know I'm going to lose with trading it in put I can't afford to keep it running. Wish I had never seen this beautiful car but the rotary engine is horrible.
Favorite Features
Cute and fun, sporty car
Suggested Improvements
No rotary engine
By tw_direwolf
on 05/05/13 09:26 AM (PDT)

My guess is your not used to driving a rotary. With all cars not just a rotary it is suggested that you warm it up before starting any travel. Let it run about 10 Minutes prior to leaving and it will be ready to go all the way through. Secondly rotary engines are meant for Higher RPM the sweet spot is around 4000 RPM. I know what your talking about with the problems but it was a new design on the engine that gave the RX8 many of its problems. An engine swap to either the RX7 FD or FC motor {turbo(s) included} could fix almost all the issues. Also have you found out what the code is that is causing the Check engine light. Have that information is very handy if you can fix the issue yourself. That code tells you exactly what your car's computer is picking up from its sensors. I know right now mine has an O2 sensor that needs to be replaced. But otherwise I enjoy my RX8 and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. Got alot of work in mind to fix it up right.