2005 Mazda RX-8 1.3L 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - High tech traditional sports car

2005 Mazda RX-8 - Consumer Review

Manual Coupe (1.3L 6-speed Manual)

High tech traditional sports car
By cactusrose on

2005 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

A sports car. Rear wheel drive, light snick-snick gear box and a hunger for the twisties. And you get to check the oil, and warm it up before buzzing the engine, just like an old Triumph. Yet if you know how to look after a rotary, unlike an old Triumph this car is tediously reliable, at least it has been for me. The car has a slightly overdone exterior, but draw your own conclusions on the looks. Yet from a practical perspective the interior is like the Tardis (check with a British friend for the definition of Tardis) and very well finished. I wasn't going to buy a car like this, but one test drive had me hooked. I haven't looked back - buy this car!

Favorite Features

Handling, gearbox, clever interior/suicide doors, rheostat-like power delivery from the engine from 4K up. Did I mention the handling?

Suggested Improvements

A tad more headroom. I would prefer classic instruments instead of the digital speedometer. Oh, and for a car that requires regular oil checks, which dipstick engineer at Mazda set the dipstick handle so deep down in the engine bay?